FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » velvet paintings
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
velvet paintings
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-10 11:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-20 16:03, JonPez wrote:
Scored this one at a garage sale this weekend...

[ This Message was edited by: JonPez 2010-07-24 02:52 ]

This painting was the inspiration for the cover of the Rolling Stones Tattoo you album cover !

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-16 12:38 pm   Permalink

Scored by first black velvet nude this weekend at a thrift shop in San Bernadino, CA. - $25.00
Velvet material mounted to wooden panel.
Artist: Roblin

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-16 5:07 pm   Permalink

Really nice, TikiG!

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dewey-surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-20 6:56 pm   Permalink

Posted this under the Tiki Finds thread as well. Found this, I love the brooding colors, it's got a very smugglers/pirates feel to it, very large 4' x 2', great original frame too. $15.00

View Profile of dewey-surf Send a personal message to dewey-surf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-20 7:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-20 18:56, dewey-surf wrote:
Posted this under the Tiki Finds thread as well. Found this, I love the brooding colors, it's got a very smugglers/pirates feel to it, very large 4' x 2', great original frame too. $15.00

I haven't seen one of those in years! My dad had a set of them. the large one you have, and then there were two smaller paintings featuring slightly different versions of the ships that were 2' x 2'. My mom was storing them in the garage when it was broken into and cleaned out. Never thought I'd see one again, very cool!

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
eransom56

Posted: 2011-09-05 12:03 pm   Permalink

These are two Hawaiiana Black Velvets from the mid to late '60s. Both were purchased in Honolulu. Both are for sale! Please contact me if interested!
1) Wet Shirt - Bill Erwin
2) Nude - Blake Tyrel

Sorry, both paintings have sold!

[ This Message was edited by: eransom56 2011-09-08 18:17 ]

View Profile of eransom56 Send a personal message to eransom56  Email eransom56     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-16 2:03 pm   Permalink

As is above, so is below...

After a week and a few days, I was finally able to arrange a time to meet up with the seller and purchase this Bill Erwin velvet painting. I was just shy of owning both of the paintings, a good friend and velvet collector managed to score the other one which is called "Lote" and was painted in 1969.

I am not sure if the Erwin is titled, the back of the painting has a paper covering on the frame.

A little history about both paintings.

The last owner was Bob Shaw. These paintings were purchased by his father, Wally Shaw at a gallery in Waikiki. The gallery was located in the International Market Place. Bob seems to remember the gallery being located on the left side of the entrance of the International Marketplace; does not remember the name though.

Bob Shaw lived in Hawaii in 1957 when he was three months old and again in the late 1960's. The box that the painting came in had an address on Kalakaua with the Shaw name on it. Bob told me his father met one of the artists at the gallery at the time he purchased the paintings, again he could not remember which artist it was. Bob is going to send me more information and I will update this post when he does.

Happy to own my second Bill Erwin velvet.

Oh yeah. Thanks to those who mentioned to Bob he was selling them too cheap.

Later,

PTD

[ This Message was edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2011-09-16 14:05 ]

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-26 11:04 am   Permalink

I had the unique pleasure of being contacted by Gary Erwin, great-nephew of velvet artist Bill Erwin.

Gary shared the following information with me:

"Bill was my Grandfathers brother. Bill and his parents and family moved often from Oklahoma, Texas, California and Oregon. Bill was a sign painter in California and moved to Hawaii. Bill was alive in Hawaii in the 1960’s.

My father was given two paintings and my Grandfather had one.

Bill was a sign painter in the Sacramento and the San Francisco area prior to moving to Hawaii. I have a self portrait of Bill and a floral painting (not on velvet) as well my father has a young male Polynesian drinking from a coconut, and a Wahine portrait. The drinking painting is superb!

Bill was Edgar Leeteg’s protégé and did study with him. You can find examples where both painters used the same subject.

Bill also painted horses on velvet for rich horse owners. Bill was portrayed as the bohemian in the family".

I have asked if Gary Erwin could share photos of the paintings he owns with us. Gary says he will send me some pictures at some point and when he does, I will post them here.

Later,

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-09-26 1:29 pm   Permalink

PTD - thanks for sharing that info. Very interesting.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-26 4:08 pm   Permalink

This film was referenced in Black Velvet Masterpieces:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CDYQtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nzonscreen.com%2Ftitle%2Fvelvet-dreams-1997&ei=LfiATqqWG6zYiAKRsfCEDQ&usg=AFQjCNHFtSFYKTamlwZNskmsKmXHsWca9A

Primarily about Charles McPhee, but a good history of Leeteg, some Tyree and other velvet artists. About 6 parts to the film.

Later,

PTD

Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-27 02:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-09-26 16:08, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
This film was referenced in Black Velvet Masterpieces:

Also referenced in this very thread, about 9 pages and 2 years ago

I haven't seen anything decent turn up in NZ for some time - the last McPhee that came up was a clown painting - but here's another record cover using the Kase Jackson wahine. Same label as the Pepe & the Rarotongans album (Salem records, based in Wellington), but this one is a 7" EP:

The artist's name should actually be Bill Wolfgramm.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-30 07:31 am   Permalink

Well,I do not know if this qualifies as black velvet art,if not I apologize
for it's placment here;
black velvet,with inlaid stained wood veneers.
I have no other info on these,
ANYONE know anything about them?

[ This Message was edited by: TIKI DAVID 2011-09-30 07:35 ]

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-02 12:20 pm   Permalink

Just found this beauty today. Is she South American, or is this early European influence on Pacific Islander dress? I have no clue, so any info would be greatly appreciated.

She isn't signed on the front.

The frame is undamaged, so I don't want to go busting through the paper backing to check the other side.

View Profile of TikiRootsRocka Send a personal message to TikiRootsRocka  Email TikiRootsRocka Goto the website of TikiRootsRocka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-10 10:46 am   Permalink

During last year's crawl I found a velvet nude.

Found another one yesterday, again before the first crawl stop on Sunday.

My second velvet painting by Yonaha dated 1971.

Later,

PTD

ka'lenatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-10 7:23 pm   Permalink

Nice velvet PTD! The work is nice. Some how with a 13 yr old, I Don't think the wife would let me put it over our bar.

View Profile of ka'lenatiki Send a personal message to ka'lenatiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation