FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki velvet paintings
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
velvet paintings
Burbear

Posted: 2012-04-05 8:28 pm   Permalink

LOL!
No I don't think that is the name.

View Profile of Burbear Send a personal message to Burbear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-06 09:04 am   Permalink

That is a copy of Leeteg's "Tahitian Chief" - The Blue Kahuna just found one that appears to be a Leeteg original: http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=42561&forum=5

Now THAT one is Awesome No offense, I like yours too

-Trad'r Bill

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoccerTiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-06 11:57 am   Permalink

I picked this up a few years back. I just recently saw one like it on an art auction site listed as an original Leeteg. This one has "LEETEG" in black block letters in the lower left hand corner.
It's big! 39" tall x 26" wide.

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-06 5:12 pm   Permalink

estate sale, behind a bookshelf

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-21 9:06 pm   Permalink

Found last weekend,

sorry about the photo's fuzzyness. The background is more blue than black and it looks like they took it out of the frame (and didn't put back in right) so they could paint the frame ugly green. When I pull it out of the frame to strip it I'll look for a signature, none is visible on the painting. Has anyone seen this before?

aloha, tikicoma

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-21 10:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-05-21 21:06, tikicoma wrote:

That...is one ugly woman

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-21 5:46 pm   Permalink

Here's my current pride and joy.
As signed on the back:

Anna - Micronesian
Original oil on Velvet
No Duplicates/No Copies
$75 Burke Tyree - 1965

View Profile of TikiRootsRocka Send a personal message to TikiRootsRocka  Email TikiRootsRocka Goto the website of TikiRootsRocka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2012-06-21 6:38 pm   Permalink

WOW! Incredible find T.R.R., I'd call that a perfect piece of perfect!!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-23 09:17 am   Permalink

That's a beauty Michael. Tyree is one of my favorite masters of velvet.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-23 10:28 am   Permalink

Thanks Boris and Ron! His work is amazing and I'm lucky to have her.
I just got her off the wall to snap these.

View Profile of TikiRootsRocka Send a personal message to TikiRootsRocka  Email TikiRootsRocka Goto the website of TikiRootsRocka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-23 11:13 am   Permalink

Michael - Thanks for sharing Anna - she's absolutely jaw dropping frickin' stunning!

G

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-24 8:29 pm   Permalink

That's a beautiful painting, thanks for posting that. His shading of the skin tones makes for a lifelike image. I also liked reading the "History of Artist" letter. I wish I knew which years he painted in each locale. I have a Tyree that I need to post soon... it was painted in 1967, just wondering where he painted it.

-Trad'r Bill

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-01 3:57 pm   Permalink

Thanks Greg and Bill, it's my pleasure to share, wish I had some more Tyree's post.

Bill, regarding your question about where he painted and when, here's a little tidbit.

The following info is from "Black Velvet Masterpieces," by Carl Baldwin and Caren Anderson:

"In 1956, after four years in Guam, Burke Tyree moved to Hawaii and first began to experiment with velvet painting...It is an extremely difficult medium to master, and Tyree spent eight years in experimenting before arriving at his present tecniques..."

Please post your Tyree when you get a minute.

Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-01 4:44 pm   Permalink

TikiRootsRocka,

Nice Tyree, I was intrigued by the letter when I saw it for sale on eBay and the subject in the painting is one of the nicest finished paintings I have seen. The detail is amazing.

Found these Leeteg copies today...

Later,

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-02 10:12 am   Permalink

Thanks PTD,
With my tax return in hand, there was no way I was letting her go to auction
Irresponsible use of funds, maybe, regrets, none!!!
Nice scores, btw! From flipping through the thread, looks like you've got a great collection!
Lookin' forward to seeing the next one.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation