FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki velvet paintings
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
velvet paintings
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-06 5:37 pm   Permalink

Just brought home this Frank Oda.

I bought this about a year ago on eBay and figured I might as well post Diamond Head at night, since we've got the sunrise above.

This Lavisse was acquired at Tiki Caliente. Thanks again, I love her!

Enjoy!

View Profile of TikiRootsRocka Send a personal message to TikiRootsRocka  Email TikiRootsRocka Goto the website of TikiRootsRocka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-16 2:15 pm   Permalink

As promised, here is my Tyree I purchased a few months. Thanks Midnite for the guidance...
I really love this painting and can't wait to display it in my (nearly) finished Tiki room.

What a beauty, huh? Those hips, lips, and er, eyes are amazing...

Enjoy!
Trad'r Bill

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-07-16 5:40 pm   Permalink

Send to GROG. PM for address.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2012-07-16 5:45 pm   Permalink

Trad'r Bill, you are my hero of the day!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-16 6:07 pm   Permalink

Great find on that Bill!

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-16 7:20 pm   Permalink

I finally built a mounting frame and stretched my "Song Shen"

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Quiet Village
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-22 12:34 pm   Permalink

I posted this on finds too, but thought I should add this to the official velvet thread. This is a Bill Erwin I picked up yesterday. One thing I am curious about is the distinction between and original and copy. Is there a way to tell if the velvet is a copy? Is a copy printed onto the velvet vs the original being hand painted?

The back of the frame has a H C&D (Google says this is Honolulu Construction and Draying) tag it, with a Lot # and an article #. I guess this is some sort of shipping info.

View Profile of The Quiet Village Send a personal message to The Quiet Village      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-23 6:03 pm   Permalink

I don't know if Erwin did copies of his own work. He sometimes copied (with variation) other peoples stuff but I don't know and have not seen copies of his own work. Leeteg was the king of copies as his "originals were done by himself several times and he also had "authorized' copies from Davis galleries in Honolulu that were executed by artists in Japan and the Philipines. Davis also did copies on velvet paper and paper prints and these authorized prints are rare and seldom come up for auction. I have seen other artists like Erwin do a copy of Leeteg's Diamond Head by Moonlight, and Lavisse & Bouvier do Leeteg's "Ukelele Boy". Even Tyree did a copy of Leeteg's famous "Hina Rapa" except he used his wife as the model. Tyree made a point of marking the back of his paintings with "No Copies"

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-03 7:24 pm   Permalink

Found this red velvet at a Hot Rod show, today. The seller embellished it with rope & starfish, cuz the frame was damaged, but I like it.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-03 10:21 pm   Permalink

I've never seen red! That's fantastic! The rope is great!

[ This Message was edited by: The Granite Tiki 2012-08-03 22:22 ]

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-04 6:57 pm   Permalink

I figured it was worth the 15 bucks!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-07 10:47 am   Permalink

I was fortunate enough to come across my second Burke Tyree velvet recently... this one is in somewhat rough shape right now - the velvet has pulled away from the frame in spots. I'm hoping to find an art conservator who can bring it back to it's original glory.

"Native Back - 1966"

Hard to read the signature, but it's there:

It even has a letter from Mr. Tyree himself, attached to the back:

...obituary for the original owner of the painting, Jean Koda:
http://rafu.com/news/yayeko-jean-koda/

Enjoy
-Trad'r Bill

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-07 1:33 pm   Permalink

Awesome Tyree's Bill, thanks for sharing!

View Profile of TikiRootsRocka Send a personal message to TikiRootsRocka  Email TikiRootsRocka Goto the website of TikiRootsRocka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Blue Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-07 5:33 pm   Permalink

What kind of lighting is best to use when displaying a velvet painting? Hope its okay to ask this here, if not, please delete Admin . . .

View Profile of The Blue Kahuna Send a personal message to The Blue Kahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-07 7:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-09-07 19:52, Phillip Roberts wrote:
Aloha.

Quote:

(Google says this is Honolulu Construction and Draying

This would be 'Dredging."

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2012-09-07 19:53 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation