FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki velvet paintings
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
velvet paintings
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-09 04:33 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-09-07 17:33, The Blue Kahuna wrote:
What kind of lighting is best to use when displaying a velvet painting?

Blue Kahuna, here's a post I did less than 2 years ago about that - and to my dismay, the images have disappeared, I have no idea why, in such a recent post. I cannot repost them, but perhaps you can glean some information from the text, still:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=38557&forum=21&vpost=570920

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Blue Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-09 05:37 am   Permalink

Thank you! I'll have to experiment a little to find the right "look".

[ This Message was edited by: The Blue Kahuna 2012-09-09 05:41 ]

View Profile of The Blue Kahuna Send a personal message to The Blue Kahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-13 5:44 pm   Permalink

In the last issue of Tiki Magazine, I reviewed the movie "Hell's Half Acre" A small image in the film caught my eye. Right at the end there is a shootout in front of a tourist shop that has a sign "Clean Up Hell's Half Acre"

Behind the left corner of the sign there appears to be a Black velvet Painting. Zooming in here the image is blurry...

It looks like a smaller version of this Leeteg

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-18 12:47 pm   Permalink

Bongo, that's a beautiful Leeteg!
Here's the latest addition to my collection by Barbara Allin.

I was able to find an image of another of her paintings, "Lupenui," and the only other info I could find was that she painted in Hawaii, in the 1960's. If you have any other information on her, I'd love to hear it.

View Profile of TikiRootsRocka Send a personal message to TikiRootsRocka  Email TikiRootsRocka Goto the website of TikiRootsRocka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-18 11:45 pm   Permalink

Found at a thrift/resale store. I thought that there was a teardrop below the right eye. Turned out it was a small tear in the fabric.The painting was done by "Cece Rodriguez.

pic taken with flash

taken with available light in my tiki room

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2012-12-20 02:30 am   Permalink

Just watched the film Velvet Dreams online at www.nzonscreen.com/title/velvet-dreams-1997
I've been wanting to see it and it didn't disappoint.

aloha, tikicoma

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Blue Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-20 04:13 am   Permalink

Thanks for the link!

View Profile of The Blue Kahuna Send a personal message to The Blue Kahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-20 07:02 am   Permalink

You guys are making me want a velvet now.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-21 7:13 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the "Velvet Dream" link. I just watched the video and it was very educational.

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-23 3:35 pm   Permalink

Found at my local "Savers" this afternoon. Unsigned. This painting may be one reason many consider this genre tacky and gaudy. It is in poor condition and very dirty.The edges are warped and the painting may have been wet at some time. I'll post pic another after I l clean and frame this.
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aguazul
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-01-08 6:09 pm   Permalink

Spotted this on eBay, beautiful Bill Erwin, out of my price range at $975, though!

View Profile of aguazul Send a personal message to aguazul      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aquatic Safarinaut
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-01-18 10:09 am   Permalink

Last night I went to pick up these....

And I ended up with these too....

They are from the Coral Reef in Sacramento. I know that they are copies of the originals but they are exceptionally well done copies...
Is anyone familiar with the artist Eddy Joe Martin?

The Frames are really cool too! The backing that the velvet was mounted on has warped and the velvet is hanging loose so I could use some advice on remounting to new backing...

Cheers,
John

View Profile of Aquatic Safarinaut Send a personal message to Aquatic Safarinaut      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-20 06:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-18 10:09, Aquatic Safarinaut wrote:
Last night I went to pick up these....

And I ended up with these too....

They are from the Coral Reef in Sacramento. I know that they are copies of the originals but they are exceptionally well done copies...
Is anyone familiar with the artist Eddy Joe Martin?

The Frames are really cool too! The backing that the velvet was mounted on has warped and the velvet is hanging loose so I could use some advice on remounting to new backing...

Cheers,
John

I have no doubt the seller's items were from the Coral Reef, however I am afraid these and the items I saw a couple months ago were not from the Sacramento location, but the Millbrae location.

I went to the Coral Reef in Sacramento and I don't remember any of the things this seller has in the Sacramento location.

If you look closely at few images of the interior and exterior of the restaurant and hotel in Sacramento you do not see any of the items the seller had or that were purchased by others in them. The seller thought the Tiki was from the hotel, but if I remember correctly the hotel was devoid of Tiki.

The closest matching items were the dinner table lamps with the shades that were signed by customers that visited; perhaps that was duplicated in Millbrae?

The Tiki they are selling for $3,100.00 is nowhere to be found in any of the Sacramento images and I don't recall one like that there.

No doubt the seller has some treasures and no doubt from the Coral Reef, I just don't think these were from Sacramento.

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-21 2:30 pm   Permalink

Got this Lavisse painting recently. I've gone from 0 to 5 velvets in no time flat here... I guess I hit a lucky streak.

-Trad'r Bill

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-22 11:23 am   Permalink

Bill,

Did you feel me breathing down your neck on that one? I was second in line-so let me know when you grow tired of it and we can work out a trade.

One from weeks ago, albeit not Tiki nor Polynesian-still like the quality though. Needs a little stretching though. Kind of reminds me of a girl that used to get me in all kinds of trouble. I call this one "Waiting To Be Kissed"-note the mistletoe!

Later,

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation