FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » velvet paintings
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
velvet paintings
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-26 9:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-22 11:23, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
Bill,

Did you feel me breathing down your neck on that one? I was second in line-so let me know when you grow tired of it and we can work out a trade.

One from weeks ago, albeit not Tiki nor Polynesian-still like the quality though. Needs a little stretching though. Kind of reminds me of a girl that used to get me in all kinds of trouble. I call this one "Waiting To Be Kissed"-note the mistletoe!

Later,

PTD

...but she has a Polynesian pedigree, because she was "inspired" by THIS Polynesian babe, painted by classic velvet painter Charles MacPhee:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-27 03:41 am   Permalink

Wow, thanks for sharing that ^

I guess that is about as close as you can get. Interesting how images get recycled!

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-27 04:16 am   Permalink

Thanks Bigbro!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pitcairn

Posted: 2013-03-12 1:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-26 21:36, bigbrotiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-02-22 11:23, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
Bill,

Did you feel me breathing down your neck on that one? I was second in line-so let me know when you grow tired of it and we can work out a trade.

One from weeks ago, albeit not Tiki nor Polynesian-still like the quality though. Needs a little stretching though. Kind of reminds me of a girl that used to get me in all kinds of trouble. I call this one "Waiting To Be Kissed"-note the mistletoe!

Later,

PTD

...but she has a Polynesian pedigree, because she was "inspired" by THIS Polynesian babe, painted by classic velvet painter Charles MacPhee:

This lady is Sue Bernard, Playboy's playmate December 1966. That issue had a pictorial of tahitian women which may have been the original draw for MacPhee and other artists but the american centerfold seems to have really captivated them.

View Profile of Pitcairn Send a personal message to Pitcairn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-12 2:13 pm   Permalink

One more * to the piece!: Black velvet "Tahitian" McPhee Playboy bunny! It's got it all!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-16 12:13 am   Permalink

Picked this up last saturday, Manapua Vendor by Erwin Honolulu...

Reminds me of Leetegs Adze Man. It's 27"x22" has been reframed but this was stuck to the back,

Aside from repeatedly misspelling Erwin as "Irwin" it also states that Leeteg worked for Erwin for a buck an hour in 1935 and 1939, which I doubt, then seems to contradict itself. So I'd guess the rest would be suspect as well, but I would like to know if it was Leetegs letters to Erwin that Mitchner used or was that another error and it was letters to, say, Barney Davis?

aloha, tikicoma

p.s. the color off, the shirt is more blue.

[ This Message was edited by: tikicoma 2013-04-16 00:17 ]

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-09 06:55 am   Permalink

Hope I'm not stepping on anyones' toes, but a few months back this Perc Miller was
advertised here in Perth and I had contacted the woman who owned it, only for that
contact to be suddenly cut off, I expect a higher offer had been made and she'd taken it.

A long shot, but if the new owner is a visitor to Tiki Central, I would really like to hear from you.

Not a very good picture I'm afraid, taken by the previous owner on her cell phone.

View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-12 08:52 am   Permalink

Combining information and images from Psycho Tiki D, Bigbrotiki and Pitcairn - and adding the Sue Bernard Playboy centerfold from December, 1966:

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-12 09:45 am   Permalink

Saw these at a thrift store recently:

They were asking about $70 each, don't know of that's a good price or not. Sorry for the rotation, I uploaded them from my phone.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
larryegypt

Posted: 2013-08-12 7:57 pm   Permalink

Hi! I'm new to this forum and this place is incredible! I never knew there were so many other fans of velvet paintings. I fell in love with this piece I grabbed from an estate sale this last weekend. However, I have been unable to decipher the signature. I can read "Hawaii" and that led me to this forum. Any help in attributing this haunting painting is greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,
Larry

View Profile of larryegypt Send a personal message to larryegypt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-12 8:04 pm   Permalink

Looks like "Dollen" to me.....

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-23 7:05 pm   Permalink

Been kind of quiet on TC lately.

Long time, no post.

Found a velvet by an artist I am unfamiliar with. Title of the painting is "Falls of the Moon-Tahiti". Not dated, but older.

Anyone seen this signature before or know of the artist?

Mahalo!

Later,

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Amy S

Posted: 2013-10-27 5:20 pm   Permalink

Hi anybody have any idea what this would go for? It is by McMahon who was one of 5 students of Leeteg. It was bought in Hawaii in the 60's it is 44'tall and 31' wide, my grandparents had them all over the house. I really remember a giant one in their bedroom of a very pretty hawaiian lady.

I am looking to sell it could anybody help me price it, also has a light that attaches to the top of the frame. Thanks!!

View Profile of Amy S Send a personal message to Amy S      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the58guy

Posted: 2013-10-31 5:01 pm   Permalink

I have one of those. It is about 40 x 29 in the same hand-cut wooden frame (total @ 47 x 36) It came from Minnie's in Modesto CA and shows '59 Tyree on the bottom right. My dad, a frequent visitor and friend of the owner won it in a dice game back in the 60's from the then-owner, I think his name was Hop Louie. Mine is in perfect condition with the original lamp (and cord) still in tact. Too bad you had to cut your cord, it was probably the original one used when the painting was hanging on a restaurant wall.

View Profile of the58guy Send a personal message to the58guy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the58guy

Posted: 2013-10-31 5:09 pm   Permalink

Oops. I am new to this site and see I replied to a post posted 2007-06-01 3:37 pm from Psycho Tiki D. So whomever read it probably had no idea about what I was addressing. It was the Polynesian semi-nude oil on velvet with the light wood colored frame. I'll get this figured out. Sorry.

[ This Message was edited by: the58guy 2013-10-31 17:11 ]

[ This Message was edited by: the58guy 2013-10-31 17:12 ]

View Profile of the58guy Send a personal message to the58guy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation