FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki velvet paintings
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 )
velvet paintings
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-07 7:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-01-07 04:20, Gibbo wrote:

...thought of a good place in your bar to hang it yet?

ahoy Gibbo!!

Yet to be re-framed, but this is where she will live.

[ This Message was edited by: komohana 2015-01-12 23:33 ]

View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gibbo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-01-15 04:06 am   Permalink

Top spot for it too Bob, we need to catch up some time too mate!

View Profile of Gibbo Send a personal message to Gibbo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bbeaton12

Posted: 2015-01-17 3:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-01-10 00:02, Kitchylicious wrote:
Hello fellow Tiki Central members--

This is my very first post on this forum, even though I've been a lurker for a few years now. I finally have something hopefully interesting to share--my latest find and my very first velvet painting (a lot of firsts in this post).

Here is a lovely island girl by artist Ben Alano and although I didn't pick it up for super cheap, I am thrilled with it and honored to have it on my wall.

Thanks for looking!

Hello - Kitchy.... I have inherited from my step-father the same Ben Alan velvet picture (Alano's signature with Manila under it). - which leads me to believe that they are somehow prints. Also have a beautiful second velvet painting of a different young Polynesian girl. These came from my step-dads brother who was in the Merchant Marines and gave them to his brother in the late 50's or early 60's. Am researching the value of them as my bride has declared they are for sale. Would look good in someones new basement bar !!

View Profile of bbeaton12 Send a personal message to bbeaton12      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-01-18 5:03 pm   Permalink

Saw this today.
No info other than it was $38.00.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dad

Posted: 2015-02-18 07:45 am   Permalink

HI Guys .... another "first poster" here.
If I am posting in the wrong area, please tell me.

I was led here by Google.
I searched for, "nude Philippine on black velvet", and was sent to page 15 of this thread.

I have a painting I want to learn more about.
It is a semi-nude on black velvet, and probably Philippine from the 1960's.
It measures 19.5" x 25.5" including frame.
It is signed, but I can not read the signature.
The subject does not appear to be Philippine .... in my uneducated opinion.
The painting is in very good condition.
The back of the painting says, "House of Frames & Art Gallery - Balibago, Angeles City".
I got the painting in Omaha Nebraska in 1972 while stationed at the Air Force base.
I now live in Wisconsin.
I can post a pic of the signature and the painting.
Please tell me if I should do it in this thread or start a new one.

I appreciate any help.
Thanks a lot !!

View Profile of Dad Send a personal message to Dad      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-02-18 12:02 pm   Permalink

This thread is fine, but don't expect me to call you Dad
post that photo so we can help.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dad

Posted: 2015-02-18 12:42 pm   Permalink

You guys are a very cold group ....

[ This Message was edited by: Dad 2015-03-06 03:44 ]

View Profile of Dad Send a personal message to Dad      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dad

Posted: 2015-02-21 07:22 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Dad 2015-03-06 03:45 ]

dorkside

Posted: 2015-03-16 12:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-01-18 17:03, tikiskip wrote:
Saw this today.
No info other than it was $38.00.

I have one VERY similar to this painting.

View Profile of dorkside Send a personal message to dorkside      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-17 05:45 am   Permalink

I recently received a very nice email from the daughter of the artist of the Kase Jackson velvets I posted some time ago.
Paipo, Frances had a question about the photos you posted.

Here is what she shared.

Thank you for replying. I have often seen the web site with black velvet paintings and sometimes cringe at incorrect information posted.

I am the daughter of Kase Jackson. His real name is kerry jackson and he died in 2002. Kerry was born in Auckland NZ and we lived in Mt Roskill South Auckland.

Eric Scholes gallery was and still is in Wkakarewarewa Rotorua opposite the big hotel, just by the bridge where Guide Rangi conducted her walks through the Maori village. Eric built the pacific gallery which displayed Kase Jackson paintings. He could not paint fast enough. Every painting had at least ten coats of very fine paint to bring the painting up . So it took a long time to finish one. Some people dont understand the difference between modern paint sprayed black velvets mass produced and the real technique which evolved from Europe hundreds of years ago. Dad painted black velvets from about 1959 to 1971. Before that he was a modernist abstract painter who had the Auckland Art gallery purchase some of his paintings in the 1950s and he was in an exhibition there. This was his most successful painting and there is an article in the Art NZ on him.

The photo of Kerry taken in his studio, with a model was taken by Harold Stephans an International travel writer who wrote an article for an American magazine. The painting of the naked women on a blue sarong was not brown velvet. It was on black velvet but the painting must have been hung in a very light filled room because the velvet has faded to brown. All the paintings by kase shown on your web site i watched my father paint in his studio .

Perhaps you would like to ask me what you would like to know for your web site. I am happy to tell you .

I would like to know how you got private personal photos from the family collection?

Where are you in the world?

Cheers Frances jackson

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation