FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving New GREEN LAVA tiki step-by-step
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
New GREEN LAVA tiki step-by-step
Aweulekuula
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-11 12:43 pm   Permalink

Aloha!

Marcus Lindemann from Florida here. I am currently working as a Huna Therapist and have been carving very simple Hawaiian style tiki (ki'i 'aumakua) and even using them in therapy. I never trained in carving, so my work has very little surface finish.

Enjoy!

Carved from a Big Island beach stone, this little Ki'i was a gift to a shaman living in the Midwestern US.

This Ki'i was an attempt at purposefully making an image that looked ancient.

This Ki'i is used as a healing stone for my clients these days, which is why all its surface contours have been extremely stylized and smoothed. It now has a female counterpart when working with people who require two energy polarities (Ku and Hina).

A random collection of Akua Ka'ai Ki'i I have made from all sorts of branches and wood that had lots of energy going through it.

Aloha!

Marcus

[ This Message was edited by: Aweulekuula 2009-11-27 12:10 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Aweulekuula 2009-12-10 08:20 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Aweulekuula 2009-12-18 06:29 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Aweulekuula 2009-12-30 16:51 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Aweulekuula 2010-01-19 06:51 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Aweulekuula 2010-02-07 16:22 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Aweulekuula 2010-10-27 07:53 ]

View Profile of Aweulekuula Send a personal message to Aweulekuula      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-11 2:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-02-11 12:43, Aweulekuula wrote:

This Ki'i was an attempt at purposefully making an image that looked ancient.

Welcome to TC Aweulekuula - these sure don't look very amateur! Beautiful carvings - the stick gods are great examples of designing to the materials, which is something I am a strong believer in. This one in the picture I've quoted is very similar (in feel) to a genuine old piece I was shown a while back, and definitely achieves the aim of looking like it could have lived in a cave for several hundred years. There is something quite primal and spooky about tikis made from lava. How big (or small) is this fella?

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-11 6:23 pm   Permalink

Marcus, excellent carvings, but I have no clue what a Huna Therapist is. Can you enlighten?

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-11 7:44 pm   Permalink

Love those wood carvings, so many.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-11 10:11 pm   Permalink

for never training in carving, you have a very old soul telling you what to do. the stones have an ancient look to them. nice, very nice.

bd

View Profile of big daddy Send a personal message to big daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aweulekuula
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-12 5:22 pm   Permalink

Oooooops!

Sorry for not explaining what Huna is. Huna is a Hawai'ian healing philosophy that includes methods of talk therapy, forgiveness therapy, energy work, shamanism, and much more. I have a Masters of Clinical Social Work, but have found that Huna technique appear to be more effective for many of my clients than the more "traditional" Western modalities.

Aloha!

Marcus

View Profile of Aweulekuula Send a personal message to Aweulekuula      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aweulekuula
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-12 5:35 pm   Permalink

These two Ki'i Pohaku 'Aumakua were carved from a really dense Hawai'ian lava stone and are about 3 and 1/2 inches tall. Both now belong to a friend and fellow energy healer. The first one is the more "female" of the two.

Aloha!

Marcus

Aweulekuula
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-12 5:37 pm   Permalink

Oh, and the ancient-looking Ki'i is 6 inches tall.

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-15 5:06 pm   Permalink

Excellent stuff, Especially for someone who says they are not experienced??? Some of that stuff looks like you picked it up from the Museum! NICE.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aweulekuula
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-25 09:14 am   Permalink

I just got this natural piece of lava and it screamed to be carved. What you see is the natural curvature of the cooled stone. This piece cooled down so dense that it sounds like a bell when struck with another stone.

This is the finished 'Aumakua. Rather than having a human shape I simply followed the natural curves of the stone and intigrated a face at one end. The result is somewhat spiritual in nature and resembles both a wave, boars tusk, and whales tooth, all important in Hawaiian culture. Oh, and it still rings when struck.

Aloha!

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-25 09:32 am   Permalink

Beautiful!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-25 10:18 am   Permalink

i second benzart. beautiful.

View Profile of big daddy Send a personal message to big daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikisbytyler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-26 06:14 am   Permalink

Very moving, soulful sculptures.
truly beautiful.
Any of these for sale/trade?

View Profile of tikisbytyler Send a personal message to tikisbytyler  Email tikisbytyler Goto the website of tikisbytyler     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aweulekuula
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-26 06:20 am   Permalink

Some of them are for sale. I am not sure if I will sell this curved one because there was so much work involved, but I also feel like it's not supposed to stay with me. I need to post images of tiki that are for sale/trade in this thread.

Aloha!

Marcus

TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-26 09:37 am   Permalink

Hi Marcus, great stuff here. You've got a nice style. I see you live in a wooded area. Cool. Man that lava is so ugly in it's raw form. Who would think such beautiful things would come out of it?

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation