FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Bali Hai remodel
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
Bali Hai remodel
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-23 09:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-04-22 16:18, Mongoloid wrote:
above the bar

This totally reminds me of a tikified version of the ceiling in the first room you walk into in The Haunted Mansion, but instead of a dead guy hanging you got puffer fish. RAD!
[/quote]

Of course, there's always MY way out:

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-04-23 4:33 pm   Permalink

The lounge looks small but fun. Thanks for the pictures.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sofa King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-23 5:23 pm   Permalink

I went there last night and was very pleased with the experience. We got there a little after 9 and there was a good amount of people still there.

IMO the place is totally bitchin. This remodel is a HUGE improvement.

Obviously the place has a more modern feel, very tight and clean. I realize some folks would have preferred all bamboo and thatch over the route Bali Hai took but rest easy the place turned out great. I was relieved to see them preserve most of the core elements and just get rid of the ugly paint and worked carpet.

Actually, I kind of miss the 1970s McDonald's bathroom.

Cheers,
Sofa King

View Profile of Sofa King Send a personal message to Sofa King      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
catmomma
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-23 5:58 pm   Permalink

Are they still doing the awesome Sunday Brunches? That used to be something I went to about once a month and made a total pig out of myself. I have really missed it.

View Profile of catmomma Send a personal message to catmomma  Goto the website of catmomma ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-04-23 6:11 pm   Permalink

I went there for lunch today. I had a Mr. Bali Hai. It was strong and tart. Very good. The lobster BLT was also very good. I got there when it first opened for lunch at 11:30. There were still probably 20 construction workers doing various small things and rushing about. By the time I left, I would say there were about 25 tables filled.

The place does look a lot better. It's hard to compare it to other tiki restaurants since the design of the Bali Hai so unique. Most tiki places obviously don't have 360 degree views overlooking the ocean. So it obviously lacks the dark, enclosed atmosphere most of us enjoy. As the other pictures show, there are tikis, tapa and pufferfish. Not a lot, but they are there. It definitely has a modern feel. And it does look a million times better though. Looking at the design of the building, the remodel seems to be a natural progression. It doesn't seem forced. The architecture lends itself to more of a minimalist/modern design, which is fine by me because that is more my personal style. And at least the tiki items they do have in there are quality. I would have hated to see them cover the few walls of this place with cheesy surfboard shaped tikis, "surf's up" signs and other miscellaneous items that would be inappropriate for a tiki temple such as this.

Overall, the remodel is a big improvement that should increase their business and help keep it open for many years to come.

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
IKABOD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-24 02:33 am   Permalink

going to have to check the joint out. It does appear by the images to have successfully retained the roots of the original building. Now with the remodel behind them..... Maybe a Polynesian revue?

View Profile of IKABOD Send a personal message to IKABOD  Email IKABOD     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-24 09:20 am   Permalink

The interior has been scrutinized and discussed already so I won't go there.
I understand why Bamboo Ben made the comment he made and I will agree with
Jim Bacci about the bridge should have been left in place.I will just touch
on some exterior stuff.The first thing you see when you walk up to the Bali
Hai is the big new signage.I don't like the font style..too modern.I would
have gone with something off one of their old menus keeping with their old
roots.They carried over the same font on their new menu covers.Too modern
style of a font for my taste.This may sound nit picky , however these small
details leave an everlasting impression with new and old visitors .We are
talking about a restaurant that is how many years old ?The waiting entry
area I would have gone with some restored vintage rattan chairs and a love
seat with some nice bark cloth cushions to give a more warm inviting old
school feeling instead of that modern outdoor fiberglass furniture they
have installed.I am just glad and grateful they have taking the time, energy,
and money to breathe some new life into the place which was way over due.
I really look forward to traveling south to San Diego real soon, and taking
in the Bali Hai .See you all there for Tiki Oasis in August.Here are some
old font and logo samples I would have utilized for the menu's, signage,
table tents etc.

Aloha

[ This Message was edited by: 1961surf 2010-04-24 10:54 ]

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-25 11:02 am   Permalink

I'm so happy that they didn't screw the place up! I think it looks great! Yeah, the interior isn't Don's or Frankie's, but for a slightly upper scale restaurant, right on the water, what's to complain about?

It could have been gutted and turned into a Joe's Crab Shack or a Rusty Pelican. I'm very relieved. Now pour me a Mr. Bali Hai!

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-26 08:51 am   Permalink

We stopped by Bali Hai last night for a drink. We really like the changes. The re-orientation of the bar is great, and the lounge area really opens up the space. In the past I've felt squished in the bar area, but not this time. And the place was pretty much full on a Sunday evening. We also liked the new fire pit outside and the new outdoor patio seating. Those are nice additions and look forward to utilizing them in the summer.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-27 9:46 pm   Permalink

The Million dollar investment is paying off handsomely!

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-30 08:01 am   Permalink

I was there yesterday. The sun-drenched patio has a SPECTACULAR view of the bay.
The mixed grill plate @ $17 was a great lunch, although Ivette did not care for her open Mahi sandwhich.
Loved the increase in the TIPSY ratio.

BTW, disappointingly, the Bali Hai is currently out of Mr. Bali Hai mugs.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-22 10:22 pm   Permalink

Just got back from a fishing trip out of San Diego and snapped this photo of the remodeled Bali Hai from the boat on the way in. It's look'n great from the water.

Caught a few Tuna (but I digress, wrong site for that!)

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zond2
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-23 06:34 am   Permalink

The wife and I had supper there the eve of 7/3/10. The Ahi was excellent; Mai Tais strong and the same letters that were supposed to spell out "Society Islands" are still lying down in the bottom of the display.
The more things change the more they stay the same.
BTW if you get a chance to take a dinner cruise out into the bay for the fireworks take it.
We kept station just off one of the barges and the view was AWESOME!

View Profile of zond2 Send a personal message to zond2      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-23 10:23 am   Permalink

Nice haul Dusty! My hubby went out tuna fishing a few years ago and we ended up handing out fish to all our neighbors! Good stuff but you can only eat so much before it goes bad in the freezer!

Nice pic of the Bali Hai too - does it seem that there are fewer plants now or are they just to young/little to be seen from the boat?

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-23 5:17 pm   Permalink

Oh boy, I gotta come up to SB! Seared Tuna, Tuna Sashimi, Tuna Poke...my favorites! Can you smoke Tuna? Smoked fish is another fave of mine. When I stayed at Bill Westenhaver's house I was fed a diet of their self-smoked salmon every day, that was grand...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation