FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT


advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food What AreYou Drinking- Right Now?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 | 140 | 141 | 142 | 143 | 144 | 145 | 146 | 147 | 148 | 149 | 150 | 151 | 152 | 153 | 154 | 155 | 156 | 157 | 158 | 159 | 160 | 161 | 162 | 163 | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | 170 | 171 | 172 | 173 | 174 | 175 | 176 | 177 | 178 | 179 | 180 | 181 | 182 | 183 | 184 | 185 | 186 | 187 | 188 | 189 | 190 | 191 | 192 | 193 | 194 | 195 | 196 | 197 | 198 | 199 | 200 | 201 | 202 | 203 | 204 | 205 | 206 | 207 | 208 | 209 | 210 | 211 | 212 | 213 | 214 | 215 | 216 | 217 | 218 | 219 | 220 | 221 | 222 | 223 | 224 | 225 | 226 | 227 | 228 | 229 | 230 | 231 | 232 | 233 | 234 | 235 | 236 | 237 | 238 | 239 | 240 | 241 | 242 | 243 | 244 | 245 | 246 | 247 | 248 | 249 | 250 | 251 | 252 | 253 | 254 | 255 | 256 | 257 | 258 | 259 | 260 | 261 | 262 | 263 | 264 | 265 | 266 | 267 | 268 | 269 | 270 | 271 | 272 | 273 | 274 | 275 | 276 | 277 | 278 | 279 | 280 | 281 | 282 | 283 | 284 | 285 | 286 | 287 | 288 | 289 | 290 | 291 | 292 | 293 | 294 | 295 | 296 | 297 | 298 | 299 | 300 | 301 | 302 | 303 | 304 | 305 | 306 | 307 | 308 | 309 | 310 | 311 | 312 | 313 | 314 | 315 | 316 | 317 | 318 | 319 | 320 | 321 | 322 | 323 | 324 | 325 | 326 | 327 | 328 | 329 | 330 | 331 | 332 | 333 | 334 | 335 | 336 | 337 | 338 | 339 | 340 | 341 | 342 | 343 | 344 | 345 | 346 | 347 | 348 | 349 | 350 | 351 | 352 | 353 | 354 | 355 | 356 | 357 | 358 | 359 | 360 | 361 | 362 | 363 | 364 | 365 | 366 | 367 | 368 | 369 | 370 | 371 | 372 | 373 | 374 | 375 | 376 | 377 | 378 | 379 | 380 | 381 | 382 | 383 | 384 | 385 | 386 | 387 | 388 | 389 | 390 | 391 | 392 | 393 | 394 | 395 | 396 | 397 | 398 | 399 | 400 | 401 | 402 | 403 | 404 | 405 | 406 | 407 | 408 | 409 | 410 | 411 | 412 | 413 | 414 | 415 | 416 | 417 | 418 | 419 | 420 | 421 | 422 | 423 | 424 | 425 | 426 | 427 | 428 | 429 | 430 | 431 | 432 | 433 | 434 | 435 | 436 | 437 | 438 | 439 | 440 Next Page )
What AreYou Drinking- Right Now?
PalmtreePat
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Oct 07, 2014
Posts: 215
From: Los Angeles, CA
Posted: 2017-11-12 09:45 am   Permalink

After many, many daiquiris (and a jalapeno cheeseburger) I've completed my first round of taste testing in search of the perfect sub for Bacardi 1909. The results were...surprising.

Full disclosure: each rum was tasted straight first, side by side with a pour of Bacardi 1909, from a glencairn glass for maximum pretension. For the daiquiri test I made them according to the improved recipe in POTC, using limes I "liberated" from the neighbors tree as they were needed to ensure that lackluster fruit didn't drag any drinks down.



Havana Club 3 was the most interesting entry. Tasted alone, side by side with the 1909, it's a very different beast. Heavier than just about any other aged white I've had, with enough hogo to it that one of my tasters likened it to a Jamaican rum. Yet when mixed in a daiquiri, it lightens up considerably, with lots of citrus flavors and an after-taste that is very close to the chocolate-ish flavor on the 1909's finish. The only thing HC3 misses is the super dry, crisp aroma 1909 imparts to the drink, which may in part be a product of the 1909 being higher ABV than anything else on the board. Recommended if you can get it.



Plantation 3 Star, Flor de Cana 4 Extra Seco, and Brugal Especial all came in roughly the same bracket for being close, but not quite perfect analogs to 1909. 3 Star is the closest in overall flavor, both by itself and in a daiquiri, but again, it smells sweeter rather than dry and isn't quite as assertive. Bone-dry Brugal I found came closest to 1909 in aroma, and in a daiquiri brought plenty of citrus flavor (orange in particular) but was missing some of the brown sugary and vanilla flavors on the finish. FDC hews closer to 3 Star than Brugal, and the daiquiri I made with it was, for lack of a better word, "darker" in flavor than the other two.



And the big shocker: Cana Brava came in dead last. With the closest ABV to Bacardi 1909 (86 to the BC's 89), a full 3 years of age on it, and a Cuban rum master at the helm, I went into this expecting it to smear the competition. And it didn't. Tasted side by side with the 1909, both straight and mixed, it was noticeably lacking in both flavor and aroma, far more than the slight difference in concentration can account for. We actually went back and did blind tastings to make sure we weren't biasing it into oblivion, and it still missed the mark. Afterwards I tested CB against the HC3, presumably its closest relative, and it fell short again. Nor could it best any of the other rums. Despite being a higher proof than all of them, it still came dangerously close to tasting like vodka in comparison, and, barring that I might have just gotten a bad bottle, I think I know why. When we took the Hampden Estate rum tour our guide explained the different ABVs they distill to for different products: the 80s is their mark for rum, while 90% and higher is for vodka. Cana Brava's website states that they distill to 92-94%. Now I don't know what proof the rest of these get distilled to, and I'm sure that CB doesn't get re-distilled over and over again like a true vodka would be, but it certainly tastes like the 86 Co has gone too far in its efforts to produce a smooth, dry spirit and lost alot of flavor. Given that Cana Brava often costs at least $5 more than any of these other rums, I honestly can't say I'll be buying it again in the future.

Final results: Havana Club 3 still reigns supreme, both for tasty daiquiris in general and specifically as an analog to the elusive Bacardi 1909. Plantation, Flor De Cana, and Brugal are all fine daiquiri rums and each is similar in its own way to 1909. Cana Brava is...limp.

This has been a fun experiment, but I'm just getting started. I still need to give El Dorado 3, Royal Standard, Selvarey, Cruzan Diamond, and Cartavio their fair shake. I may also go the Kohala Bay route and start blending different white rums together to replicate the flavor profile I'm after. Diplomatico just released an aged white at 47% ABV, which could strengthen a blend and help it cut through more in a mixed drink.


 
View Profile of PalmtreePat Send a personal message to PalmtreePat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Joined: Mar 30, 2008
Posts: 8808
From: The Anvil of the Sun
Posted: 2017-11-12 2:09 pm   Permalink

Science Baby!!!

 
View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jan 04, 2017
Posts: 284
From: New Braunfels, Texas
Posted: 2017-11-13 09:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-11-12 09:45, PalmtreePat wrote:
from a glencairn glass for maximum pretension.



Bonus points for advanced use of self-awareness!


 
View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Below Decks
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Apr 26, 2013
Posts: 679
Posted: 2017-11-13 10:27 am   Permalink

Melrose Umbrella Company Negroni (with Veda-Roux!)



 
View Profile of The Below Decks Send a personal message to The Below Decks  Goto the website of The Below Decks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-boss
Tiki Centralite

Joined: Mar 31, 2017
Posts: 90
From: Peoria AZ
Posted: 2017-11-13 1:53 pm   Permalink





 
View Profile of Tiki-boss Send a personal message to Tiki-boss      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jul 18, 2010
Posts: 7382
From: Las Vegas
Posted: 2017-11-13 7:10 pm   Permalink

Plantation 20th





_________________
Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ This Message was edited by: hang10tiki 2017-11-13 19:12 ]


 
View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Below Decks
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Apr 26, 2013
Posts: 679
Posted: 2017-11-14 12:02 pm   Permalink

Melrose Umbrella Company White Negroni (and Veda-Roux!)




 
View Profile of The Below Decks Send a personal message to The Below Decks  Goto the website of The Below Decks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HopeChest
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Oct 19, 2015
Posts: 278
From: East Bay, CA
Posted: 2017-11-14 5:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-11-13 13:53, Tiki-boss wrote:






WHOA - I've never heard of this place!! I'm going out to Walnut Creek this weekend so I am definitely going to pop in for a tipple.


 
View Profile of HopeChest Send a personal message to HopeChest      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-boss
Tiki Centralite

Joined: Mar 31, 2017
Posts: 90
From: Peoria AZ
Posted: 2017-11-14 10:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-11-14 17:28, HopeChest wrote:
Quote:

On 2017-11-13 13:53, Tiki-boss wrote:






WHOA - I've never heard of this place!! I'm going out to Walnut Creek this weekend so I am definitely going to pop in for a tipple.



My favorite place for seafood in the east bay. Well known for seafood but some don't realize they also have a good cocktail program. For years they had been one of the only non-tiki places I knew of in the area that had a somewhat authentic Mai Tai on the menu.






[ This Message was edited by: Tiki-boss 2017-11-14 22:38 ]


 
View Profile of Tiki-boss Send a personal message to Tiki-boss      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-boss
Tiki Centralite

Joined: Mar 31, 2017
Posts: 90
From: Peoria AZ
Posted: 2017-11-14 10:47 pm   Permalink


Zombie


Jungle Bird


Headhunter's Grog

Jungle Bird Sacramento, California


 
View Profile of Tiki-boss Send a personal message to Tiki-boss      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HopeChest
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Oct 19, 2015
Posts: 278
From: East Bay, CA
Posted: 2017-11-15 11:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-11-14 22:37, Tiki-boss wrote:

My favorite place for seafood in the east bay. Well known for seafood but some don't realize they also have a good cocktail program. For years they had been one of the only non-tiki places I knew of in the area that had a somewhat authentic Mai Tai on the menu.




[ This Message was edited by: Tiki-boss 2017-11-14 22:38 ]



Nice! I am an alcotarian (a vegetarian who will happily go to any non-veggie restaurant as long as they have cocktails) but my missus loves seafood so this sounds perfect. Thanks for the tip, mate!


 
View Profile of HopeChest Send a personal message to HopeChest      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jul 18, 2010
Posts: 7382
From: Las Vegas
Posted: 30 days ago; 6:06 pm   Permalink

Pre Steelers game warm up












_________________
Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!


 
View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-boss
Tiki Centralite

Joined: Mar 31, 2017
Posts: 90
From: Peoria AZ
Posted: 30 days ago; 7:53 pm   Permalink

Sounds like good times Jon. I'm gonna be in Vegas next week. Will be stopping into Frankie's at some point. Probably day after Thanksgiving. It would be cool to meet up for a cocktail or two.

 
View Profile of Tiki-boss Send a personal message to Tiki-boss      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jun 07, 2008
Posts: 1415
From: 16 miles from The Mai-Kai
Posted: 30 days ago; 10:56 pm   Permalink

Great research, Pat. Havana Club 3 tops my list of Daiquiri rums as well, well ahead of the competition. A few of my top runners up that you may or may not have tried: El Dorado 3 and Banks 5 Island.

Quote:

On 2017-11-12 09:45, PalmtreePat wrote:
After many, many daiquiris (and a jalapeno cheeseburger) I've completed my first round of taste testing in search of the perfect sub for Bacardi 1909. The results were...surprising.

Full disclosure: each rum was tasted straight first, side by side with a pour of Bacardi 1909, from a glencairn glass for maximum pretension. For the daiquiri test I made them according to the improved recipe in POTC, using limes I "liberated" from the neighbors tree as they were needed to ensure that lackluster fruit didn't drag any drinks down.



Havana Club 3 was the most interesting entry. Tasted alone, side by side with the 1909, it's a very different beast. Heavier than just about any other aged white I've had, with enough hogo to it that one of my tasters likened it to a Jamaican rum. Yet when mixed in a daiquiri, it lightens up considerably, with lots of citrus flavors and an after-taste that is very close to the chocolate-ish flavor on the 1909's finish. The only thing HC3 misses is the super dry, crisp aroma 1909 imparts to the drink, which may in part be a product of the 1909 being higher ABV than anything else on the board. Recommended if you can get it.



Plantation 3 Star, Flor de Cana 4 Extra Seco, and Brugal Especial all came in roughly the same bracket for being close, but not quite perfect analogs to 1909. 3 Star is the closest in overall flavor, both by itself and in a daiquiri, but again, it smells sweeter rather than dry and isn't quite as assertive. Bone-dry Brugal I found came closest to 1909 in aroma, and in a daiquiri brought plenty of citrus flavor (orange in particular) but was missing some of the brown sugary and vanilla flavors on the finish. FDC hews closer to 3 Star than Brugal, and the daiquiri I made with it was, for lack of a better word, "darker" in flavor than the other two.



And the big shocker: Cana Brava came in dead last. With the closest ABV to Bacardi 1909 (86 to the BC's 89), a full 3 years of age on it, and a Cuban rum master at the helm, I went into this expecting it to smear the competition. And it didn't. Tasted side by side with the 1909, both straight and mixed, it was noticeably lacking in both flavor and aroma, far more than the slight difference in concentration can account for. We actually went back and did blind tastings to make sure we weren't biasing it into oblivion, and it still missed the mark. Afterwards I tested CB against the HC3, presumably its closest relative, and it fell short again. Nor could it best any of the other rums. Despite being a higher proof than all of them, it still came dangerously close to tasting like vodka in comparison, and, barring that I might have just gotten a bad bottle, I think I know why. When we took the Hampden Estate rum tour our guide explained the different ABVs they distill to for different products: the 80s is their mark for rum, while 90% and higher is for vodka. Cana Brava's website states that they distill to 92-94%. Now I don't know what proof the rest of these get distilled to, and I'm sure that CB doesn't get re-distilled over and over again like a true vodka would be, but it certainly tastes like the 86 Co has gone too far in its efforts to produce a smooth, dry spirit and lost alot of flavor. Given that Cana Brava often costs at least $5 more than any of these other rums, I honestly can't say I'll be buying it again in the future.

Final results: Havana Club 3 still reigns supreme, both for tasty daiquiris in general and specifically as an analog to the elusive Bacardi 1909. Plantation, Flor De Cana, and Brugal are all fine daiquiri rums and each is similar in its own way to 1909. Cana Brava is...limp.

This has been a fun experiment, but I'm just getting started. I still need to give El Dorado 3, Royal Standard, Selvarey, Cruzan Diamond, and Cartavio their fair shake. I may also go the Kohala Bay route and start blending different white rums together to replicate the flavor profile I'm after. Diplomatico just released an aged white at 47% ABV, which could strengthen a blend and help it cut through more in a mixed drink.




 
View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PalmtreePat
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Oct 07, 2014
Posts: 215
From: Los Angeles, CA
Posted: 29 days ago; 08:50 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-11-16 22:56, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
Great research, Pat. Havana Club 3 tops my list of Daiquiri rums as well, well ahead of the competition. A few of my top runners up that you may or may not have tried: El Dorado 3 and Banks 5 Island.



Mahalo HH. I'd totally forgotten about Banks, definitely going to add that to my list.


 
View Profile of PalmtreePat Send a personal message to PalmtreePat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 | 140 | 141 | 142 | 143 | 144 | 145 | 146 | 147 | 148 | 149 | 150 | 151 | 152 | 153 | 154 | 155 | 156 | 157 | 158 | 159 | 160 | 161 | 162 | 163 | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | 170 | 171 | 172 | 173 | 174 | 175 | 176 | 177 | 178 | 179 | 180 | 181 | 182 | 183 | 184 | 185 | 186 | 187 | 188 | 189 | 190 | 191 | 192 | 193 | 194 | 195 | 196 | 197 | 198 | 199 | 200 | 201 | 202 | 203 | 204 | 205 | 206 | 207 | 208 | 209 | 210 | 211 | 212 | 213 | 214 | 215 | 216 | 217 | 218 | 219 | 220 | 221 | 222 | 223 | 224 | 225 | 226 | 227 | 228 | 229 | 230 | 231 | 232 | 233 | 234 | 235 | 236 | 237 | 238 | 239 | 240 | 241 | 242 | 243 | 244 | 245 | 246 | 247 | 248 | 249 | 250 | 251 | 252 | 253 | 254 | 255 | 256 | 257 | 258 | 259 | 260 | 261 | 262 | 263 | 264 | 265 | 266 | 267 | 268 | 269 | 270 | 271 | 272 | 273 | 274 | 275 | 276 | 277 | 278 | 279 | 280 | 281 | 282 | 283 | 284 | 285 | 286 | 287 | 288 | 289 | 290 | 291 | 292 | 293 | 294 | 295 | 296 | 297 | 298 | 299 | 300 | 301 | 302 | 303 | 304 | 305 | 306 | 307 | 308 | 309 | 310 | 311 | 312 | 313 | 314 | 315 | 316 | 317 | 318 | 319 | 320 | 321 | 322 | 323 | 324 | 325 | 326 | 327 | 328 | 329 | 330 | 331 | 332 | 333 | 334 | 335 | 336 | 337 | 338 | 339 | 340 | 341 | 342 | 343 | 344 | 345 | 346 | 347 | 348 | 349 | 350 | 351 | 352 | 353 | 354 | 355 | 356 | 357 | 358 | 359 | 360 | 361 | 362 | 363 | 364 | 365 | 366 | 367 | 368 | 369 | 370 | 371 | 372 | 373 | 374 | 375 | 376 | 377 | 378 | 379 | 380 | 381 | 382 | 383 | 384 | 385 | 386 | 387 | 388 | 389 | 390 | 391 | 392 | 393 | 394 | 395 | 396 | 397 | 398 | 399 | 400 | 401 | 402 | 403 | 404 | 405 | 406 | 407 | 408 | 409 | 410 | 411 | 412 | 413 | 414 | 415 | 416 | 417 | 418 | 419 | 420 | 421 | 422 | 423 | 424 | 425 | 426 | 427 | 428 | 429 | 430 | 431 | 432 | 433 | 434 | 435 | 436 | 437 | 438 | 439 | 440 Next Page )
U-Moderate:
  
v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation