FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Tiki Mug Book Signing at La Luz de Jesus Gallery - 7th March
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 )
Tiki Mug Book Signing at La Luz de Jesus Gallery - 7th March
squid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-10 10:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-09 10:59, aquaorama wrote:
I felt better paying the books retail price at the Event....I'd rather support my local vendors than have them get less money thru Amazon sales. I counted 9 Mai Tai Swizzles in my pocket at the end of the night.....Thank god for our stop by the "Orginal" Tommys for some emergency cheese fries.

mmmmmm...emergency cheese fries......

Ltd Edition Mugs & MORE!

Ltd Editions by Squid & Gecko

View Profile of squid Send a personal message to squid  Goto the website of squid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hinano_Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-10 1:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-09 23:18, Bora Boris wrote:

Nice guy, Nice guy, Nice guy, Nice guy.

Is it just me or does Notch look very scared? Or is he trying to figure out "Who are these people and why are they in this picture with me?" And my last guess is, Bigtoe is across the room yelling "Gecko.....Gecko....Gecko" at him and waving his hands like a madman. Actually I think this one fits best as Notch does appear to have that "Who the F*%# is that look on his face".

May your first child be a Moai child..

View Profile of Hinano_Paul Send a personal message to Hinano_Paul  Email Hinano_Paul Goto the website of Hinano_Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoccerTiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-10 8:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-10 10:22, squid wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-03-09 10:59, aquaorama wrote:
I felt better paying the books retail price at the Event....I'd rather support my local vendors than have them get less money thru Amazon sales. I counted 9 Mai Tai Swizzles in my pocket at the end of the night.....Thank god for our stop by the "Orginal" Tommys for some emergency cheese fries.

mmmmmm...emergency cheese fries......

Yeah! AND a Chili Cheeseburger to go with those fries!!!

"Marriage, Mortgages, Market Places and Mai-Tai's...Whatta life

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
squid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-10 11:38 pm   Permalink

And if you're not in the area to get one at Wacko (which I would highly suggest for the localized)...

I just spotted 'em at just over $21.00 on Amazon's other sellers links:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0955339812/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1236742429&sr=1-1&condition=new

Go man. GO!!!

Ltd Edition Mugs & MORE!

Ltd Editions by Squid & Gecko

View Profile of squid Send a personal message to squid  Goto the website of squid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-03-11 11:02 pm   Permalink

GROG browse through the book yesterday and look at all the purty pictures.(Accept for the missing ones of the Bamboo Ben mug!) Lots of eye candy! GROG like. Great pictures by Jon Paul and all the contributing photographers.(Accept ya'll forgot the Bamboo Ben mug!) GROG like that the book focuses on current mugs and not vintage, and shows what an art mug making has become. And GROG happy it showcases the artists/makers behind the mugs.( Even though they forgot the Bamboo Ben mug!) Congratulations on such an awesome book. GROG look forward to the second one. (With the Bamboo Ben mug!)

And speaking of things left out of the book,GROG wonder why "Squid" Cohen didn't get his picture in the book like Crazy Al and Diablo when he's designed and carved such a huge body of Tiki mugs? If you went to the Squid Retrospective at Kona last year, you know what a prolific artist Dave is. GROG also notice that there was no link to either one of Dave's websites at the back of the book when all the other mug artists had links to their websites printed at the back of the book. What gives?

That GROG only MAJOR gripe GROG have with book.
(That, and maybe that the Bamboo Ben mug accidently got left out. )

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-11 11:12 pm   Permalink

Maybe the Bamboo Ben mug was left out because the face is soo ugly.

I would like to know what's up with Squid. Do the Brit's have something against his revolutionary style?

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
skitiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-12 12:25 am   Permalink

I thought the book was beautifully done (amazing photography), but also found myself wondering what was up with the nearly complete omission of one of the most prolific mug designers/makers out there...Squid.

And, I thought the implication that he's possessed by Tiki Farm was weird too. Or maybe that's just me. I mean it's possible that he's possessed, but I'm pretty sure it's not by Holden!! : }

At any rate...the book was really well done even if it did fail to give Squid the props he deserves and equal billing in the appendix. I'm sure the second printing will correct these goofs...or maybe his name and website were printed in that invisible Squid ink....

View Profile of skitiki Send a personal message to skitiki  Email skitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-12 9:44 pm   Permalink

I am sure holden will chime in on here. He's pretty quick to respond to tiki mug threads.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
squid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-13 12:18 am   Permalink

Grog, Coco and Ski-

Thanks for the props.

In the interest of not derailing this thread, I would invite all to read my open letter regarding this situation. The discussion may be continued there if need be.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=31603&forum=1&start=last&0

squid

BigToe
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-13 08:54 am   Permalink

maybe the Korero dudes have some kind of grudge against cephalopods! or maybe we all should email korero with a request for a SQUID retrospective book!

dammit!

View Profile of BigToe Send a personal message to BigToe  Email BigToe Goto the website of BigToe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigToe
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-15 1:07 pm   Permalink

i was really stoked to see Gecko there!

View Profile of BigToe Send a personal message to BigToe  Email BigToe Goto the website of BigToe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki moon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-15 2:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-02-20 09:12, congawa wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-02-14 18:14, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
..nothin like stumblin' into cheetah's strip club across from la luz after an opening..is that place still there??

That was a great punk rock dive club in the late 80s/early 90s called the Shamrock (back then).

If you watch the first 20 seconds of the video to
Lean Like a Cholo you can see they use the locked, after hours front door to La Luz de Jesus as if it were a nightclub, complete with bouncers and velvet ropes.

I think they put that scene together with green screen, After Effects, and a few digital stills of the bookstore and the sidewalk around it.

View Profile of tiki moon Send a personal message to tiki moon  Goto the website of tiki moon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki moon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-16 3:09 pm   Permalink

Does anyone know where the pattern on the book cover comes from? It seems familiar, but I can't quite place it.

View Profile of tiki moon Send a personal message to tiki moon  Goto the website of tiki moon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kiniki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-22 3:17 pm   Permalink

Jeesh these are really late in getting posted..... just a couple of the pix from Tiki Ti before the event...

View Profile of Tiki Kiniki Send a personal message to Tiki Kiniki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation