FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Traders (Trader Vic's) Palmer House, Chicago, IL (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
The Traders (Trader Vic's) Palmer House, Chicago, IL (restaurant)
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-17 12:02 pm   Permalink

Name:The Traders (Trader Vic's) Palmer House
Type:restaurant
Street:17 East Monroe St.
City:Chicago
State:IL
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
This is for the Palmer House location and not the new TV's. I did a search on the threads and didn't find a whole lot on this location. Information is kind of scattered and most of the photos are gone. The Traders opened in the Palmer House in 1957. I was curious as to why It opened as "The Traders" and not Trader Vic's? Also when and why did they change to Trader Vic's? Where there other locations know as The Traders around the country? Just got a bit curious and thought I would put it up for debate. If any one has any Chicago location postcards, menus, matchbooks or other stuff please post it. Would be great to see as most photos have gone from the old posts. Thanks.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2009-02-17 12:03 ]

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2009-02-17 12:09 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-17 12:07 pm   Permalink

Here are a cuple of items from my collection of the Palmer House Chicago location.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-17 3:35 pm   Permalink

Always thought that this was one of the great Trader Vic's. Here is the postcard.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-17 4:31 pm   Permalink

Here is another older black and white postcard from the Trader's at the Palmer House in Chicago. Great photo of the Barney West tiki.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-18 04:16 am   Permalink

Thanks for posting the cards Dusty. I have never seen that second one. Great shot of the interior.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-18 07:52 am   Permalink

I second that! And here is that great ad with the Trader Vic's logo Tiki:

To think that I sat there with Jeff Berry and sampled their wares, and met with the TC Ohana for "Exotica", ...and then it still was obliterated...Sigh. Thanks to James Teitelbaum for working to keep it alive as long as he could.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-18 10:36 pm   Permalink

Here is a vintage rendering of the Palmer House exterior from one of those old TV scarfs that had multiple locations shown on them.

DC

Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-19 04:48 am   Permalink

that must have been the real early days......i'll bet that was the indoor stairway leading down to vics, the entrance with the escalator in it. that must have been something to walk through the main doors and see this roof and entryway.....

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2009-02-19 04:51 ]

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-20 02:17 am   Permalink

December 2000 - December 2005

Back of promotional flyer

Looking down the looong hallway to the entrance of Vic's

At the bottom of the escalator from the street level entrance

Post in the Palmer House at the top of another staircase down to Vic's

Promo sign in the Palmer House

One of the dining rooms

Entrance to Vic's which led to the Boathouse Bar

Two tikis, which I think are back at the new Chicago Vic's

OA post in the basement hallway to Vic's

Looking into Vic's lobby

Looking from the Boathouse Bar into another dining room

Lounge area across from the bar

Escalators up and down from Vic's in the Lower Level of the Palmer House... this is just inside the street level doors on Monroe Street

Monroe Street entrance to Vic's and the Palmer House... note the Barney West Moai that is now at the new Chicago's Trader Vic's on State Street

Lounge looking towards the Boathouse Bar... this is during one of the many Tabu Tiki Nights put on by James T.

Phil, of the Barefoot Hawaiians and now co-owner of the Tiki Terrace, blows the conch at the start of a dance performance.

Crowd at the 2004 Tabu Tiki Night Christmas Party... and one of the DSK Designs Elviki.

Special guest at the Christmas Party, King Kukulele performs for the crowd.

Note the wonderfully detailed faux beams on the ceiling. I'll miss those.

The Barefoot Hawaiians tech some members of the audience how to hula.

[ This Message was edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-02-20 11:47 ]

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-20 05:15 am   Permalink

ahhhh....good times.....

and thanks for the "elviki" cameo.....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-20 11:29 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-02-20 05:15, Tipsy McStagger wrote: and thanks for the "elviki" cameo.....

Knew you'd be all over that!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-20 11:45 am   Permalink

Descriptions added to my picture post.

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-20 2:30 pm   Permalink

Hey now !!!!! That's some great stuff Lake Surfer. I think the post that Croe67 got maybe in that bunch of photos. Great to get this all in one spot. Thanks to Dusty and Sven for your additions as well. Keep em coming.

croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-20 3:17 pm   Permalink

....I also got the big, tall Marq you can just see in the shadows on the right of the first picture Lake posted

Here are some pictures of Palmer House Vic's...

From the BAR:

& a few from Christmastime at Vic's:

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-23 6:30 pm   Permalink

Oh yea... the display cases!

Always got a kick out of those!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation