FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki An open letter to Tiki Central from Martin/Martiki
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
An open letter to Tiki Central from Martin/Martiki
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-17 6:57 pm   Permalink

Martin,
I am truly stunned and shocked. My heart goes out to you. Not only did you create something out of nothing, you created an establishment that not only qualifies as one of the top 25 bars in the country/world, but also can be argued as one of, if not the best Tiki Bar ever. This strikes a big blow for all of us. It has been an honor to imbibe some of the finest elixirs expertly crafted by you and your fantastic staff. And in hindsight, it was great to be able to hang out with all of the out of towners this past weekend. It was indeed an exceptionally great weekend, and even though we didn't know it, a great way to ride out the end of an era. Sigh, Alameda is never going to be the same again.

Can I hear a Huzzah for the classiest act alive, Mr. Martin Cate?

HUZZAHHHH!!!

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Molokai Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-17 7:37 pm   Permalink

Despite our differences, like in any partnership, it was always a pleasure working with Martiki. I learned a lot from him and stepping into your shoes will be a challenge indeed.

I'd like to let all on Tiki Central know that NOTHING at Forbidden Island will change!! The drinks you've come to love and dream about over the years will remain, as will all the incredible rums that can be found nowhere else!!

Forbidden Island was created, by Martiki and I, with Tiki Central in mind. This is your bar and will forever be. Our managers Jim and Susan and our incredibly talented bar staff will take great care of you any time you frequent. The tasty specials and awesome events you all look forward to will continue. I ask for your continued support moving forward.

Martiki will be missed and we are sad to see him go. At the same time, I assure you that the Forbidden Island you've all come to love and adore will not wither away. Together, we will reach new heights.

[ This Message was edited by: Conga Mike 2009-02-17 19:46 ]

View Profile of Molokai Mike Send a personal message to Molokai Mike  Email Molokai Mike Goto the website of Molokai Mike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2009-02-17 8:01 pm   Permalink

Martin, I wish you all the best. Thanks for helping make Forbidden Island the stellar benchmark of Tiki bars (or of all bars for that matter). Now it's time for you to publish a book of all of your F.I. drink recipes!

[ This Message was edited by: Hakalugi 2009-02-17 20:15 ]

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquaorama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-17 8:03 pm   Permalink

Damn! If I could count the times Martin helped me find my way out the door or gave me a "lookie loo" during numerous "Rum Blamed" hookups.....You poured the Volcano Bowls ...( 3!!!!!) when Yvette and I went on our first date....2 years later and we're still at it....Thanks for the memories dude!

View Profile of aquaorama Send a personal message to aquaorama      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-17 8:05 pm   Permalink

At a loss for words here... Martin I can only imagine how it must feel to leave F.I. after pouring your heart and soul, along with some tasty cocktails, into building such an outstanding establishment and world class bar. I am saddened too hear this news, yet know that you will be bounce back with the same Martiki panache that never disappoints or falters.

I am sure the Congas an the F.I staff will do everything in their vast repertoire to keep F.I. up to the stellar standards that has made it world famous and continue to raise the bar of excellence. Maybe it's time to take a vacation over to Kauai and let me by you a drink or least crack a can of budweiser for you.

malamapono a hui hou

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-17 8:17 pm   Permalink

But where will I get a perfect sazerac now?!?

I know Mike says nothing at FI will change, but the best thing about FI already has.

Best wishes to you Martin. The rest will be in a PM once I've processed the shock.

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brice
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-02-17 8:36 pm   Permalink

Dear Martin,

We lived in Alameda when you opened your doors to us. We have compared every Tiki bar we entered, to yours. We had no idea how high you set the bar, but every visit to FI made us so happy. I even took my now wife to Hawaii because of the tropical paradise you portrayed (I surprised her at FI with the invitation to Hawaii, thanks to the help of Thayer and your staff) and I proposed to her, only to return home to FI where you made us a congratulatory Fugu For Two with your masterful hands. These are big moments in our life! -- and you were involved and they've made our lives richer by far. Please know we are thankful for everything you have done for us and the Tiki community. I know where ever Pele takes you it is because that is where you are needed...thanks again for all the Tiki you have brought to both of us!!!

Mahalo,
Brice & Lisa Ginardi

View Profile of Brice Send a personal message to Brice      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac

Posted: 2009-02-17 8:49 pm   Permalink

Martin, you're the tops! I'm sad to hear you are leaving FI (to me - knowing you were there - made FI a very friendly establishment). I also know FI will continue, but it won't be the same.

Here's to wherever your creativity takes you next! And if it happens to be another bar/restaurant-let us know!!!! Best of luck!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-17 9:09 pm   Permalink

Three years ago, three creative, talented, productive people found that the best configuration of their abilities was to create Forbidden Island. I don't need to tell you what happened after that -- the clouds parted, the angels sang, life has been lovely.

Now, three years later, it makes total sense that these three creative, talented and productive people would find that the best configuration of their abilities is a bit different, and that the time is right for Martin to move on.

I'm so excited for Martin. I have no idea what the future holds, but come on, we all know it's going to be great. The guy is Midas without the downside.

And I'm also very happy to know that Forbidden Island is in very capable and experienced hands. I look forward to raising my glass in tribute to Martin tomorrow (It'll be like the Ray toast at Tiki-Ti! Only he's still alive!).

Warmest alohas and wishes all around, I know the future holds great things. And massive mahalos for creating the best damn tiki bar in half a century.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-17 9:44 pm   Permalink

I heard through the rumvine

that Martin is now a nurse

and will be taking care of

LeRoy!!

Your rock Martin!

Keep up the good work!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley

Posted: 2009-02-17 10:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-02-17 18:57, Mai Tai wrote:
Martin,
I am truly stunned and shocked.

Can I hear a Huzzah for the classiest act alive, Mr. Martin Cate?

HUZZAHHHH!!!

Mai Tai-this sucks-who is going to make your "Quicksand" now?

Martin, we are glad for your strong contributions to our community and to our happiness. I hope happiness surrounds your future, too.
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Glam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-17 10:36 pm   Permalink

Holy crap! I am shocked, and sad. You really just can't count on everything being as you left it the next day, can you?

It was great getting to know you and thanks for all the bitchin' times!

xoxo Dina

View Profile of Tiki Glam Send a personal message to Tiki Glam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2009-02-17 10:43 pm   Permalink

Mike: Thanks for reassuring us that things won't change. I hope that you didn't get the impression that any of us will stop going to Forbidden Island. I will really miss seeing Martin there, but I will continue to be a frequent visitor.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CaseyJPS
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-17 10:49 pm   Permalink

Martin-
I wish you all the best. Thank you for the eloquent and kind words and thank you for sharing your sincere thoughts.

View Profile of CaseyJPS Send a personal message to CaseyJPS  Email CaseyJPS Goto the website of CaseyJPS     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SuperEight
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-17 11:02 pm   Permalink

I always knew that the Forbidden Island was too good to be true. Like Faust, Martin sold his soul to Satan to achieve Tiki enlightenment and I fear the devil has come to collect.

View Profile of SuperEight Send a personal message to SuperEight  Email SuperEight     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation