FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki An open letter to Tiki Central from Martin/Martiki
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
An open letter to Tiki Central from Martin/Martiki
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-17 11:04 pm   Permalink

SO SAD to hear of this news upon my arrival at Forbidden Island TONIGHT - of all nights!! I guess my timing SUCKS, as tonight (of all nights....) I decided to take an extra-long layover at SFO to hang at FI..... & I can say that I truly missed Martin tonite at FI

A heartfelt thanks for all of the wonderful things you did at FI - you are truly the heart & soul of the place & we will all miss you tremendously. It really wasn't the same without you. I very much look forward to seeing you in the future & wish you absolutely ALL THE BEST!!!!!

MAHALO for everything, Martin!

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa-Ru
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-17 11:06 pm   Permalink

Martin, with Forbidden Island, you created such a wonderful Tiki bar and ambiance. The kind of place a person wants to go back to over and over. You have made the Tiki community a better place, and have set a high standard for anyone dreaming of opening their own bar. Thank you! Please keep us all posted on whatever you're doing next.

View Profile of Tangaroa-Ru Send a personal message to Tangaroa-Ru      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-17 11:30 pm   Permalink

Forbidden Island (Martin) on Eye on the Bay

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-17 11:42 pm   Permalink

When one door shuts a window opens - or some such saying is appropriate

I am sure you will do great things post FI but I thank you for what you gave to make it as amazing of a place as it is.

Good thoughts for good things down the road!

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikitastic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-18 03:20 am   Permalink

Wow...Wow...Wow!! Such a shock! Thanks Martin for all the great times, superior cocktails and incredible hospitality at Forbidden Island over the years!!! What you did with Forbidden Island made me do things I thought I would never do, such as:

- Choosing a neighborhood bar that is located 45 miles each way from my house
- Driving to that bar approx. once a week for a couple of years.
- Drinking 97 different rums to complete the Kill Devil list in just over 6 weeks.
- Spending 3 New Year's Eve's at said bar
- Having my living room built out by Bamboo Ben to give me the same feel as Forbidden Island
- Building my personal rum collection from 3 bottles of rum to nearly 90 different rums.
- Deciding that it was a good idea to hold a rum tasting in the NorCal Ohana suite at Tiki Oasis with
over 40 people sharing 30 bottles of rum.....and then most of the people passing out and missing Friday
night at Tiki Oasis
- Hauling my team from work, who does not get tiki, 30 minutes north for our annual holiday party at
Forbidden Island...3 years in a row
- Standing in line for 4-5 hours for a tiki mug!
- Buying a professional-grade breathalyzer so I could be sure that I was ready to make the journey home
after a night at Forbidden Island
- Trying to always keep fresh limes and fresh mint at my house....it does make such a difference!

One of my favorite memories of you at Forbidden Island...the burning Ohana Hut!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsStcn7jbaM

Thanks Martin for the fun times and Best of Luck with your next endeavor!

View Profile of Tikitastic Send a personal message to Tikitastic  Goto the website of Tikitastic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Selector Lopaka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-18 05:56 am   Permalink

Mahalo Martiki for being there to help bring the necessary authenticity to us! I raise my mug to you, and know your mixologist magic will never die. Okole Maluna!

View Profile of Selector Lopaka Send a personal message to Selector Lopaka  Email Selector Lopaka Goto the website of Selector Lopaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
monet2u
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-18 06:50 am   Permalink

You'll be missed! I also hope this is NOT the last we see of the great Martin and his mad mixing skills! I'm certain this wasn't an easy decision, thanks for letting us know. Best wishes!

edited to include an important missing word.

[ This Message was edited by: monet2u 2009-02-23 14:58 ]

View Profile of monet2u Send a personal message to monet2u      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-18 07:26 am   Permalink

Martin, to see that I will never see you in "your element" (like F.I. was) pains me. But a man with your talents and knowledge should be snapped up by any mixology-conscious establishment worth its limes, presto.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-18 07:46 am   Permalink

Martin -

It pains me too not to have seen you in your element as Big Bro states above.

Thankfully I did get to meet you last year at the informal Tiki-Ti gathering a day or two before Tiki Oasis. I remember talking to you briefly about what makes a successful tiki bar tick (passion)

You have that in spades, man.

But wait a minute! Today there is talk of reopening a certain legendary establishment in So. Cal..it just screams for your presence..

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iniquitiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-18 09:03 am   Permalink

Who is this "Martin" and what could he have possibly done to garner such lauding proclamations?

Hey, Cate...does this mean more or fewer "Ron Moments"?

Respectfully and left wanting,
A Gentleman from Petaluma

View Profile of Iniquitiki Send a personal message to Iniquitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stuckieshaft
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-18 09:48 am   Permalink

Very sad news indeed.
For myself, an out of towner and one who wasnt hip as to when Martin's shifts were, it was always exciting making the trip up with the chance thought, "I hope Martin's working tonight". Unfortunatley it seemed I usually chose his off days. Here's for his next endeavour on meeting up on his on days.

View Profile of stuckieshaft Send a personal message to stuckieshaft  Goto the website of stuckieshaft     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-18 10:22 am   Permalink

Martin,
Wow big news. I'm kinda sad Now.
but Happy that I did go there 4 times, and 2 while you were there.
and 2 of those were this past weekend, good seeing you man,
thanks for everything.
good luck in the Future with whatever you pursue.
Hey Come to So. Cal. OC area. we need a great tiki bar down here.
Aloha.

Mike,
I will continue to go to FI when I come to Nor. Cal. for surf shows.
and It saddens me deeply that I missed Meshugga Beach Party by 1 week.

Mahalo and Cheers to both of you.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-18 12:00 pm   Permalink

i, like Stuckie, have always been missed Martin at FI ~ so it was extra special, when we ran into each other at a tiny restaurant on Lombard Street last December! talked about cocktails (ha, and i dont drink!), tiki and restaurants over our breakfasts ~

Martin will be somewhere behind a bar soon, i hope ~ hey, how about Vessel in Seattle?

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kālai Waʻa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-18 12:24 pm   Permalink

Here's an idea, let's build one of these for Martin, and he can run booze-cruises up and down the Estuary... or compete with the ferry to SF!

View Profile of Kālai Waʻa Send a personal message to Kālai Waʻa  Goto the website of Kālai Waʻa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Little fragrant Tiare
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-18 1:01 pm   Permalink

Whatever you decide to do Martin i know it will be something awesome and i wish you all the best and good luck!
T

View Profile of Little fragrant Tiare Send a personal message to Little fragrant Tiare  Goto the website of Little fragrant Tiare     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation