FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Kona Kai, Kansas City, MO (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Kona Kai, Kansas City, MO (restaurant)
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-17 9:13 pm   Permalink

Name:Kona Kai
Type:restaurant
Street:Main at 45th Street
City:Kansas City
State:MO
Zip:
Phone:816 753 7400

Description:
Located in the Hilton Plaza Inn. This was one of two different locations the Kona Kai chain had in the Kansas City area. From their menu is this description: "An atmospheric Polynesian restaurant offering enticing exotic drinks to accompany its appetizing South Seas specialties.
Reservations suggested. Major credit cards accepted.
Hours: Luncheon Monday to Friday 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.;
Dinner 5:00 to 11:30 p.m., Friday to 12:30 a.m.; Saturday to 1:00 a.m.; Sunday 4:00 to 11:30 p.m. (Tel. 753-7400)

2ND LOCATION:
Name:Kona Kai
Type:restaurant
Street:8801 NW 112th Street
City:Kansas City
State:MO
Zip:64153
Phone:816 891 8900

[ This Message was edited by: 8FT Tiki 2012-01-26 17:49 ]

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-17 9:57 pm   Permalink

I have wanted to document this location ever since we acquired the 8ft palm carving below in 2003. It was created by Ed Crissman who worked for Oceanic Arts. According to Bob & LeRoy, this was carved in 1974 and was stock #139 in their old catalog. I am still looking for photos of the interior of the restaurant especially any which show the tiki in place there. Here it is restored and in it's current location in my home.

Next up is a 2 page menu from a K.C. fine dining guide circa 1980. This is not an actual menu like the ones handed to customers in the restaurant.

More items to come soon.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-18 10:07 am   Permalink

So 8ft Tiki, how did you ever come up with your TC name?? Very cool to own such a great piece of Tiki history!

Here is a postcard I noticed on a post from Tikisgrl a while back. It shows a tiki at the entrance to the Kona Kai but not your tiki.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2009-02-18 22:38 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-19 5:06 pm   Permalink

Thanks for posting that DC. I'm still looking for one of those postcards myself.

Here are some more photos. I try to find items that are marked specifically from the Kansas City location on Main St.

But I also have a few things that are just marked: KONA KAI. They may be from this location or from others such as Chicago or Philadelphia. Some things were surely available in all locations.

squid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-16 01:29 am   Permalink

Hey 8ft. Got anything new? I'm ready to relive some memories.

View Profile of squid Send a personal message to squid  Goto the website of squid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-16 12:04 pm   Permalink

Funny that a menu for this place has not showed up.

Here is another matchbook style from the Kansas City Kona Kai.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-11 12:57 pm   Permalink

I have been keepin' my eyes open for ANYTHING from the K.C. Kona Kai and here's a few things I have dug up:

Mugs for the Coffees, Grogs and Hot Buttered Rum.

This is a Beverage List with 4 pages of drinks but sadly no pictures.

The following ads and descriptions are from the pages of a Hotel-Motel greeters guide from November 1968.

Cover:

Full page ad for the Plaza Inn (the Kona Kai was located inside this Hotel).

I was really excited to find this little paragraph in there because it has an interior photo. Inside pictures just don't show up. Too bad this was so small and not in color.

Well that's it for now. The search goes on.

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-12 09:10 am   Permalink

I'd like to order a Virgin please...

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-12 10:26 am   Permalink

Well, uh... I will try to find one. But if I can, the price has gone up a bit.

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-12 11:28 am   Permalink

Well then, make it a Platinum Blonde in a bowl.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-17 6:02 pm   Permalink

Just found a small ad for the Plaza Inn where the K.C. Kona Kai was located. This ad has an artists version aerial view of the hotel which is interesting to see. It mentions: "tropical drinks in the Canoe Bar" Dated 1972.

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-17 6:36 pm   Permalink

Great thread 8FT. Here's a couple of small items from my collection. A pepper shaker (wish I had the salt) and a matchbook.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2009-10-17 18:39 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-23 6:03 pm   Permalink

Some images of the food and drink menus from the Kona Kai in KC.

DC

8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-04 4:24 pm   Permalink

Even in the deep cold of another Mid-western Winter, the search for interior photos of the 2 KC Kona Kai locations goes on....

But in the meanwhile,
I recently found a different magazine ad for the restaurants. It was in a souvenir program from the Starlight Theatre (a large outdoor theatre in Swope Park where concerts and Broadway shows have been performed for almost 60 years).
The ad is from 1977 and measures about 2 1/4" X 6".

Imagine my surprise and delight when I first glimpsed the artist rendition of our very own 8FT tiki !!! OK, I know it is just his head, but WOW was it ever cool to finally get a local confirmation of sorts that he was indeed in the Kona Kai.

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with this discovery. In fact I actually found 2 of the programs and the best part is that they were FREE. Now, if the ad is accurate, I think I need to go searching for a big moai or two that may still be in the area.
Thanks for dropping by for the latest update.
8FT Tiki

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-09 11:37 pm   Permalink

This little half-round Tiki popped up on ebay for a day or two then disappeared due to a seller withdrawl. Credited as follows:

A very rare redwood tiki totem pole made by oceanic arts of Whittier California in the 1960's for the kona Kai tiki bar in Kansas city! Fantastic rare piece! A piece of tiki history! Measures approx. 29.5" x 7 1/4" x 3" awesome piece! Lots of character!!!

Looks like it was for sale at an antique store, anybody here know who got it?

DC

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation