FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Kona Kai, Kansas City, MO (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Kona Kai, Kansas City, MO (restaurant)
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-12 2:53 pm   Permalink

Not me.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-24 07:53 am   Permalink

8ft Tiki,

I found this ad for the two Kansas City Kona Kai restaurants that has a full photo of your Tiki.

Here is a link to the newspaper so you can get a clean copy of the photo for your archives. It's on page 38.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=POheAAAAIBAJ&sjid=2lMNAAAAIBAJ&pg=6482,2371657&dq=kona+kai+kansas&hl=en

Also picked up a postcard that may have a photo of the Tiki in the restaurant, will post it when I get it.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-24 6:33 pm   Permalink

Now THAT is AWESOME!!

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-26 10:57 am   Permalink

OK, here's the postcard.

A nice rendering of the hotel.

I am assuming this is the entrance to the Kona Kai with the cool looking thatched A-Frame feature and lava rock wall. Maybe even some Tikis out front?

And the Kona Kai restaurant.

One of 8ft's two Tikis!

I wonder if the other Tiki behind the host is still around.

Another close up.

Finally a better look at the restaurant.

Here is the back of the card.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2012-01-29 11:39 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-26 11:22 am   Permalink

And while were at it, how about another close up of the entrance..

And the bar.

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-26 2:09 pm   Permalink

Aaaah, more Tiki eye candy! Excellent scanner zoom work, DC!

I looks to me like this fella...

...is the one pictured in the middle here in the O.A. catalog:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-26 5:52 pm   Permalink

Dustycajun's ad find above is from The St. Joseph, MO., News-Press, Sunday, July 13, 1975 p. 13c

This helps us to establish an opening date for the second KC location as Summer 1975.

I'm still working on learning the opening date for the first location (Country Club Plaza) and closing dates for both locations. The closest I can get so far is that the original location was operating at least as early as Nov. 1968 and both locations were open still in 1977. I will continue to refine the dates as more info. comes in.

The new postcard you found is a good one DC. I especially like the small image of the 8FT. The man on both of the Plaza In postcards is Victor Lim who was the Master Chef.

Here is an interior shot that Bob at Oceanic Arts sent us from their files. They provided much of the work for both KC Kona Kai locations. It is from the North location near the KC International Airport. This shows part of one of the 8FTers and if you look closely there is a black Moai head just left of center. I'm still on the lookout for that guy!

[ This Message was edited by: 8FT Tiki 2012-01-26 17:59 ]

[ This Message was edited by: 8FT Tiki 2012-01-26 18:00 ]

[ This Message was edited by: 8FT Tiki 2012-01-26 19:39 ]

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-20 3:14 pm   Permalink

Found this large dinner plate today. From the Plaza Inn International near the airport (Kona Kai location #2).
What I don't know yet is if this was the type of plates used in the Kona Kai or just for other hotel use.

Here is a swizzle I never posted before. Once again it is from the hotel but may have been used in the KK as well.

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-20 3:22 pm   Permalink

Both Syracuse China and Homer Laughlin China made server ware for the Kona Kai. I will see if I can dig up any images.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-06 12:34 pm   Permalink

Here is another oversized postcard I just got from the Kona Kai.

It has a different photo of the Kiele room which looks to be a private dinning room.

Great lamp in the center of the room.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-10 4:10 pm   Permalink

Here is a menu from the Kansas City Kona Kai from my collection.

Nice romantic Polynesian story on the back of the menu.

DC

tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-10-21 5:13 pm   Permalink

This is a picture of the Homer Laughlin plate used at the Kona Kai. It's for sale on etsy.com, which is where I got this picture.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-21 5:58 pm   Permalink

Here's a little ad I found on the edge of a 1973 Standard Oil road map of Missouri. Featuring a nice aerial view of the complex. The Kona Kai entrance was just behind the sign in the lower right of the picture.

TravnerRavenweird
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-31 4:17 pm   Permalink

My parents drove out from Kansas to visit us here in the Pacific North West, my Mom said she found this in an old purse when she was going through some stuff to get rid of. It looks like it hasn't been touched since she stuck it in her purse the night she went, and knowing her it probably hasn't Enjoy!

View Profile of TravnerRavenweird Send a personal message to TravnerRavenweird      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 10 days ago; 4:37 pm   Permalink

Was happy to pick up this brochure from the Kona Kai at the Plaza Inn.

The cover shows stone Tiki and fountain that we have not seen before.

More photos from the inside - this is the lobby area that served the entrances to the different restaurants at the hotel. You can see the Kona Kai on the right.

The entrance.

Inside of the entrance.

The bar room - check out those cool Moai lamps on the tables!

And some text from the brochure.

DC

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation