FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Interesting Martin Denny Discovery about the Exotica Album
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Interesting Martin Denny Discovery about the Exotica Album
OnyaBirri
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-01 11:51 am   Permalink

Actually, mono records sound better played in mono because surface noise and groove distortion are reduced.

View Profile of OnyaBirri Send a personal message to OnyaBirri      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-02 09:03 am   Permalink

I have a classic Bill Evan's CD, and the liner notes clearly state that they had two systems running at the same time, one mono and one stereo, when they were recording. That's why the version on "autumn leaves" they used on the album was mono. but the other tracks were stereo. The mono version of that track had better playing on it.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-02 6:11 pm   Permalink

According to Martin Denny The first Exotica album was recorded at Webley Edwards' Studio, Honolulu, Hawaii in December 1956. It was recorded on two track monaural. Bob Lang was the engineer. Session line-up was Martin Denny, Arthur Lyman, John Kramer, Augie Colon and Harold Chang. They recorded the entire album in three hours and 25 minutes. The album was released in May 1957.

They re-recorded the entire album in stereo in 1958 at Liberty Records' Studio in Hollywood, with a reorganized group featuring Julius Wechter on vibes and Roy Harte on drums.

According to Denny, "stereo was quickly becoming very popular and Liberty felt that a lot of people would really want the album in stereo. I'm partial to the mono recording. It has the original spark, the excitement, the feeling that we were breaking new ground".

I'm going to agree with Martin Denny here.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OnyaBirri
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-02 6:21 pm   Permalink

Jeff, the aural evidence speaks for itself. I'm sure MD couldn't remember forty years later if two or three tunes on the stereo album are from the original session.

This fact does not conflict with MD's account; it simply goes to a deeper level of detail. The stereo image on the three tracks I described would fit most definitions of "two-track monaural," in that two of the instruments are on one track and three are on the other, easily collapsing to mono.

As stated previously, both "Waipo" and "Ah Me Furi" synch up exactly when the mono is panned left and the combined stereo is panned right - they produce an identical mono center image.

I will be happy to e-mail you mp-3 files demonstrating this.

As stated, becuase "Return to Paradise" has production similarities to the aforementioned tunes, I suspect it is from the same session.

However, "Waipo" and "Ah Me Furi" clearly are the same recording on both the mono and stereo album.

[ This Message was edited by: OnyaBirri 2009-03-05 18:03 ]

View Profile of OnyaBirri Send a personal message to OnyaBirri      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gremmie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-29 10:43 am   Permalink

Wow! Very interesting read!

View Profile of Gremmie Send a personal message to Gremmie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MamboKing
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-29 12:16 pm   Permalink

This is truly geeky. And I read every word of it. Nice investigative work.

View Profile of MamboKing Send a personal message to MamboKing  Email MamboKing Goto the website of MamboKing     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
whorton
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-07-03 06:43 am   Permalink

Where is Tom Dowd when you need him!

(I should add, he died a while back)

View Profile of whorton Send a personal message to whorton  Email whorton     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation