FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Make Your Own Falernum
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Make Your Own Falernum
Navy Grogger

Posted: 2010-11-21 11:38 am   Permalink

Good results with Paul Clarke's Falernum #9 recipe (available on the web).

My wife and I had good results this weekend with Paul Clarke's Falernum recipe using the following variations:

1. Used 3.5 ounces of Everclear 190 proof grain spirits (to maximize extraction) and 2.5 ounces of Bacardi White Rum. This resulted in a very flavorful extraction of the ingredients (rich in clove flavor but with strong notes of lime and ginger).

2. We did not add lime juice as a number of people report that their Falernum has gone bad relatively quickly when lime juice is added. The solution is to add in the fresh lime juice component when using the Falernum in a drink.

3. Used Demerara sugar to make the simple syrup in a ratio of 1.5 parts sugar to 1 part water.

We made "Test Pilots" (from Jeff Berry's Beachbum Berry Remixed) using the Falernum and substituting Absinthe for the Pernod. The drink was complex with layered flavors. Thanks Mssrs. Clarke & Berry for your work.

View Profile of Navy Grogger Send a personal message to Navy Grogger      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tofukulele
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-10-12 8:54 pm   Permalink

After being continually unimpressed with Taylor's Velvet Falernum, I finally made my first batch of homemade falernum using Kaiser Penguin's recipe. Many mahaloz, KP. Can't wait to taste it tomorrow night!

The ingredients were given the once over by my VP of Falernum Operations, Chase:

View Profile of tofukulele Send a personal message to tofukulele  Goto the website of tofukulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tofukulele
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-10-13 7:58 pm   Permalink

I can now declare that KP's homemade falernum is far superior to the store-bought stuff, IMHO. Awesomely intense flavors and a complex finish not found in Mr. Taylor's product. Now...on to the drinks!

View Profile of tofukulele Send a personal message to tofukulele  Goto the website of tofukulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sir Richard
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-21 07:35 am   Permalink

I've got a batch in process right now, going from Paul Clarke's Falernum #9 recipe as printed in Jeff Berry's book. It's soaking right now, with about 6 hours to go before I liberate the liquids from the solids and invite the syrup to the party...

I'm very happy to see folks suggesting and endorsing a Demerara sugar syrup in this, as I was having a hankerin' for doing so but needed validation before taking the leap!

Will post here when it's finished. Looking forward to a Golden Wave and a Hawaiian Eye with the homemade stuff!

In the meantime, here's a pic of my proto-falernum!

EDIT: Update -- it's done, mixed with Demerara syrup, and it's TASTY! Also, keeping it Lime juice free and will add juice as I add it to drinks, in keeping with the good advice I've read above.

Seems a lot stronger than the Fee Bros.' version, so I'm looking forward to seeing its effect on cocktails...

[ This Message was edited by: Sir Richard 2012-07-21 17:39 ]

View Profile of Sir Richard Send a personal message to Sir Richard  Goto the website of Sir Richard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-23 10:19 am   Permalink

I just made my second batch. I have tasted vintage Sazerac falernum. I do not think you should put allspice and nutmeg in it. If you want allspice, use allspice dram. I think the Falernum #8 recipe is more traditional and clean. No lime juice. Syrup is syrup in many ways except color. The sugars are different in how they feel in your mouth and work in terms of dissolving. I use any high proof alcohol. PGA works. You must realize you are cutting it and so the result will be at half the proof. I prefer not to use a rum with any flavor as I want to taste the falernum, not rum. I used it without the syrup some for just pure flavor, but sugar is also a preservative.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sir Richard
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-24 2:52 pm   Permalink

First batch bottled... here's a shot(with custom label)... The demerara sugar indeed made it quite dark and added some molasses notes to the brew. I've tried it in a Hawaiian Eye to great effect, as well as with soda -- refreshing! Here's a pic of batch #1 in its Sunday best

I've completed a second batch (using plain old granulated sugar this time) and I dropped the clove count a bit. I was also extra careful with the limes, making sure to get absolutely no white pith with the zest. The verdict? It is good. Still spicy, still tangy, still bitter, but more 'pleasantly' bitter now. A dark and light batch for dark and light moods... To chemistry!

View Profile of Sir Richard Send a personal message to Sir Richard  Goto the website of Sir Richard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-25 04:34 am   Permalink

I love homemade falernum and you've all made me want to kock up a fresh batch. Thanks for the inspiration.

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-25 07:15 am   Permalink

I just made 2 batches. I had strained out th efirst and though, why not use this to make another batch now? So, I put more overproof in there and made a second round. Worked fine and now I have a nice full bottle that will ast a while.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sir Richard
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-25 08:49 am   Permalink

What a great idea Swanky! Wish I'd heard about that a couple if days ago

So, how long was your first extraction? 24 hours? And how long did you leave the second batch to soak?
And the flavors were as strong as the first?

This is really a fantastic idea, thanks again for sharing it!

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-25 12:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-07-25 08:49, Sir Richard wrote:
What a great idea Swanky! Wish I'd heard about that a couple if days ago

So, how long was your first extraction? 24 hours? And how long did you leave the second batch to soak?
And the flavors were as strong as the first?

This is really a fantastic idea, thanks again for sharing it!

Yes, 24 hours first batch and maybe 28 for the second. Saved a lot of hassle. I can't say the flavor was exact on the second run compared to the first, but I then mixed the 2 in one bottle and what it made was good.

I use a vegetable peeler to prep my ginger. It is very thin slivers rather than long french fry shaped chunks as in the picture above. I also get the muddler out and work it a bit, but mainly I want to mash everything down so that it is all covered by the liquid.

I do not add lime juice and I store it in the fridge, even though it has alcohol and sugar as a preservative.

I also reuse my allspice for my dram. But since it makes a lot, I keep the alcohol soaked allspice berries in the freezer until I need more and then pour in more liquor.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2012-07-25 12:33 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2012-07-25 12:39 ]

Sir Richard
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-25 4:31 pm   Permalink

I'm making another batch tonight so I'll try the double extraction this time and report back. I'm also going to try the peeler for the ginger, that's a good suggestion Swanky, thanks!

EDIT - First extraction of the new batch came out GREAT! Pulp is back in some overproof and will be liberated later tomorrow morning. Looking nice and green already...

[ This Message was edited by: Sir Richard 2012-07-27 13:43 ]

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-03 08:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-07-25 07:15, Swanky wrote:
I just made 2 batches. I had strained out th efirst and though, why not use this to make another batch now? So, I put more overproof in there and made a second round. Worked fine and now I have a nice full bottle that will ast a while.

Update on making a double batch with the same stock.

My assumption was that I needed to let it steep longer as maybe the flavor was out of the stuff on the second batch. I the opposite is true! I just made the first cocktails with the new stuff last night and it was totally dominate! I made a Jet Pilot and it was just Falernum. So, I think the truth is, once that mix of stuff was saturated, it was primed to give flavor and I should have steeped it less and not more.

I am going to try halving the Falernum in a recipe and see if that works. I may have to toss this stuff actually. It may be unworkable...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

Sir Richard
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-08-03 12:32 pm   Permalink

Interesting... I liberated my second extraction after just about 24 hours, after giving it a smell and deeming it good to go. Haven't used it in a cocktail yet though...

MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-24 2:36 pm   Permalink

22 hours to go until my first batch of Falernum #9 is ready. Just drank a Jet Pilot with Fee Bros. Falernum...strictly for comparison purposes, doncha know.

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-25 2:14 pm   Permalink

Don the Beachcomber's Jet Pilot made with Falernum #9, from Beachbum Berry's Remixed.

The homemade falernum was a revelation.

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation