FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Make Your Own Falernum
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Make Your Own Falernum
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-27 07:33 am   Permalink

Ugh. Why didn't I see this thread before I overpaid for Falernum last week? DAMMMMIIIITTTTT!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-27 07:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-11-27 07:33, Hale Tiki wrote:
Ugh. Why didn't I see this thread before I overpaid for Falernum last week? DAMMMMIIIITTTTT!

There's nothing quite like homemade falernum. It's always a labor of love and always worth the effort. I haven't found any store-bought falernum that even comes close to home-made falernum. I get together with another friend and we each make a batch at the same time. I use mine for tiki cocktails, and he uses his for sipping on-the-rocks or neat when friends come over. He's not a tikiphile yet, but he dabbles on the periphery...

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-27 3:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-11-27 07:43, AceExplorer wrote:
I get together with another friend and we each make a batch at the same time. I use mine for tiki cocktails, and he uses his for sipping on-the-rocks or neat when friends come over.

Your friend has the right idea. It really is quite good straight up. I also recommend adding a tablespoon to a standard Caipirinha recipe. It mixes very well with Cachaça.

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-11-27 10:06 pm   Permalink

A Corn 'n Oil isn't a bad idea either when homemade falernum is nearby.

Kevin

http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-28 03:46 am   Permalink

I will try Corn 'n' Oil, I looked it up and it's a very simple rum cocktail. With the inherent complexity of falernum, and the richness of the black rum, you don't need a lot of other ingredients. Thanks for the recommendation!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-28 8:24 pm   Permalink

I make it on the rocks in a small glass:

1.5 oz falernum, dash angostura bitters, pour 1/2 oz black rum (the black rum will float on top like an oil sheen).

a good ole Floribbean/Floritiki drink!

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-01 5:33 pm   Permalink

Should it be refrigerated?

I was just gifted some, and have only ever had the velvet, which does not.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-12-01 6:01 pm   Permalink

I refrigerate all my syrups, even if they contain alcohol. But I also take the Bum's advice and add 1/2 to 1 oz of neutral grain alcohol to each bottle in an effort to be safe and help preserve the mixture longer than it would otherwise last in my fridge. I usually end up with two bottles of falernum -- the second bottle gets a dose of NGS and then is stored in my freezer until I finish the first bottle.

Hope that helps.

poutineki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-12-02 06:09 am   Permalink

Homemade rum-based falernum (and pimento dram) are more a liqueur than a syrup. If you adjust the addition of the sugar syrup so that you're bottling above 20% ABV, unrefrigerated shelf life isn't a problem. I don't refrigerate my homemade falernum, pimento dram or limoncello and I've never had anything go bad. Of course that's with the assumption that you're not adding fresh lime juice to the falernum. If so, the shelf life isn't that great even in the fridge. I'm not an expert so I won't argue against anyone saying adding 1/2 - 1 oz of booze to an entire bottle of syrup increases shelf life but I don't see how it could increase the alcohol content enough to really matter.

View Profile of poutineki Send a personal message to poutineki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-02 10:04 am   Permalink

When I made my falernum, I looked at several recipes and combined the elements I liked. This is what I came up with and I'm very happy with the result:

8 oz overproof rum (I used Trader Vic's 151)
1½ cups skinless, blanched almonds (lightly toasted)
½ cup peeled and roughly chopped ginger
1 tbsp whole cloves
1 tbsp whole allspice
4 anise pods
1 nutmeg
Zest of 4 limes
2 cups sugar
1 cup "almond water"

Toast almonds on a cookie sheet in oven at 350 F for 20-30 min. Place almonds in a large glass jar, cover with a quart of water. Let sit for 30 min, shaking occasionally. Strain almonds, discard water and wash out jar. Roughly chop almonds and place back into jar. Cover with 1 cup of water and let sit for four hours. Strain out almond water into a measuring cup and add more water if necessary to make 1 cup. Discard almonds and wash out jar again. Place spices in a large saucepan, over medium heat, tossing frequently for 1-5 minutes. Add spices to jar with rum, ginger, lime zest and rum. Let it sit in a cool place for 24 hours. Make the syrup by putting sugar and almond water in a large pot over a medium-low heat for about five minutes, until sugar has dissolved. Using cheese cloth, strain the mixture from the jar into the syrup. Press on the solids to extract as much as you can. When cooled to room temperature, strain using coffee filter into a bottle. Voila.

[ This Message was edited by: arriano 2012-12-03 10:15 ]

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-03 08:34 am   Permalink

I do refridgerate mine, because I have the space in the fridge behind the bar. But, this is a mixture that should come out roughly 60-70 proof 30-35% by volume AND it contains sugar, which is also a preservative. It should be fine on the shelf.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

[ This Message was edited by: swanky 2012-12-03 09:45 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-03 09:03 am   Permalink

I usually put my almonds (for orgeat and falernum) under the broiler, which is much faster. It's also MUCH easier to burn them, and burnt almonds taste horrible and will ruin the flavor of everything that they come into contact with.

View Profile of TikiTie Send a personal message to TikiTie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-12-04 07:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-12-02 06:09, poutineki wrote:
...I've never had anything go bad. Of course that's with the assumption that you're not adding fresh lime juice to the falernum. If so, the shelf life isn't that great even in the fridge. I'm not an expert so I won't argue against anyone saying adding 1/2 - 1 oz of booze to an entire bottle of syrup increases shelf life but I don't see how it could increase the alcohol content enough to really matter.

poutineki -- Adding the lime juice does seem to be problematic. Adding the neutral alcohol may help extend shelf life but certainly does not prevent spoilage with the exception of what I store in my freezer. I have not ever omitted the lime juice and I may try that in my next batch. Your feedback is helpful, many thanks.

I have often read here that "sugar is a preservative" but I have seen refrigerated 1:1 simple syrup develop clear "globs" if stored too long. So I am careful to monitor my stuff and write the born-on dates on my bottles.

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-04 08:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-12-04 07:39, AceExplorer wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-12-02 06:09, poutineki wrote:
...I've never had anything go bad. Of course that's with the assumption that you're not adding fresh lime juice to the falernum. If so, the shelf life isn't that great even in the fridge. I'm not an expert so I won't argue against anyone saying adding 1/2 - 1 oz of booze to an entire bottle of syrup increases shelf life but I don't see how it could increase the alcohol content enough to really matter.

poutineki -- Adding the lime juice does seem to be problematic. Adding the neutral alcohol may help extend shelf life but certainly does not prevent spoilage with the exception of what I store in my freezer. I have not ever omitted the lime juice and I may try that in my next batch. Your feedback is helpful, many thanks.

I have often read here that "sugar is a preservative" but I have seen refrigerated 1:1 simple syrup develop clear "globs" if stored too long. So I am careful to monitor my stuff and write the born-on dates on my bottles.

The clear globs in your syrup are likely just the sugar precipitating out of the solution, not spoilage. My concern is mold growth on the surface or in the bottle elsewhere. When I have had stuff go bad, that is what happens.

You can help prevent your syrup from precipitating by adding a little citrus when you are making it to speed the process. You want to make sure the sugar fully seperates and becomes liquid. A couple of drops of lime juice is enough.

A good clean container is a big thing too of course.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-04 09:24 am   Permalink

So what the hell am I supposed to do with two bottles of velvet falernum?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation