FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Don The Beachcomber, Sunset Beach, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
Don The Beachcomber, Sunset Beach, CA (restaurant)
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-04 5:38 pm   Permalink

This news is blowing up on Facebook at the moment so I thought I would head off any panic before it starts
A "For Sale" sign was spotted on Don's and many folks are taking this as as "Don's is closing"
which is not true!

So it is time for the facts, It is the building that is for sale "Not Don the Beachcomber!"
The owners (The Snyder's) have always leased the building from a separate owner
and it is that owner who is selling the building and not Don's current lease.
This means the building is going on the market & can take a long time to sell
And Don's does not have to go anywhere.

The variables are will the new owners continue the lease agreement to Don's which is likely
or will they have other plans, so this can change way down the line (maybe some years away)

Ideally the new owners will just continue to lease the building to Don the Beachcomber
so at this time we shouldn't overreact, but we can help out by continuing support of Don's
with our patronage.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-05 10:17 am   Permalink

Thanks for the clarification, ATP. As the Bahooka story shows, never take anything for granted. We are all happy that the economy is picking up, but that means real estate developers are extending their greedy fangs again. We live in a free country (relatively free, since it is ruled by money) and we like it, or we would change it, right?

Enjoy it while it lasts, Kids!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-06 4:37 pm   Permalink

Thanks, for the clarification, guys. I am anxiously watching from afar, as Don's is very dear to me and, quite possibly, my favorite place on the planet.
Mahalo,
Rick

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-06 4:43 pm   Permalink

If there's a For Sale sign out front, if it was my restaurant there's be a huge banner that says "We're not going anywhere!" If people think they're closing they may stop going figuring the service will drop off too.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-06 6:29 pm   Permalink

We will update when we have more information, but as of the moment Don's
is not going anywhere.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KreepyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-04-08 01:24 am   Permalink

Thought I would post a set of Before & After pics of the night exterior of DTB's to show what a difference a touch of mood (read multi-colored) lighting can make.

Some time back the exterior was lit, very atmospherically, with a variety of blue, green, and red lights which just always seem to work the proper magic within or outside of any Tiki/tropical environment.

Here are two good examples of that look at Don's:

But then when I returned, some months later, THIS is what I saw instead:

Just doesn't have the same cool atmosphere, does it? And surely it can't have anything to do with cost, as how much more expensive can multi-colored flood-lights be than standard white?

Anyway, I'd love to know -- because I haven't been back there since I took those last two images -- if that's still how Don's exterior looks at night. It's been so long that, by now, perhaps they've gone back to the original more atmospheric look.

Cheers and Mahalo

View Profile of KreepyTiki Send a personal message to KreepyTiki  Email KreepyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-29 12:20 am   Permalink

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-29 10:32 am   Permalink

I assume that email address is supposed to be CITY.council@surfcity-hb.org
Also the requested forwarding address at gmail doesn't exist. I got an undeliverable message, even after a second try while changing "thd" to "the" thinking it was another typo.

[ This Message was edited by: kkocka 2015-06-29 10:32 ]

[ This Message was edited by: kkocka 2015-06-29 10:44 ]

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Below Decks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-29 1:06 pm   Permalink

This place should be celebrated. There are so few left. I have hope that it's not over for Don The Beachcomber just yet. I think locals and a larger community are much more interested in protecting. These are voters (at least locally)! It'll be a big fight if we all (locals especially, but the community worldwide as well) make it one. There are some fights we'd prefer not to have, but which can turn things around around and actually get good things accomplished, like possibly a permanent historical recognition and protection for the property so this can't happen again. It can also bring a community together, locals and Don the Beachcomber fans worldwide (and tiki and ITMP fans!!), which is another good thing. This can be turned into a good thing (poison into medicine), but it won't happen without eyes and ears open, people on the ground, and involvement near and far with loud and consistent voices.

View Profile of The Below Decks Send a personal message to The Below Decks  Goto the website of The Below Decks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-29 5:21 pm   Permalink

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-01 10:13 am   Permalink

Hula Girls Blogspot: Save Don the Beachcomber

King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-03 12:45 am   Permalink

TV news story about Don the Beachcomber's status
KCBS: Don the Beachcomber

King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-07 12:07 am   Permalink

Orange County Register: Don the Beachcomber

[ This Message was edited by: KING BUSHWICH THE 33RD 2015-07-07 10:21 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation