FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Tiki Caliente May 2009 ??
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Tiki Caliente May 2009 ??
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-13 11:40 am   Permalink

I have not seen any threads regarding any tiki event being held at this location or time.
I figure since nothing has been posted recently and the tropics bar is gone at the Motel,
that this event would not happen this year.Rory and everyone involved last year did such
a great job.I know that everyone in attendance had a blast -that's for sure.
Aloha
Trader Bill
(1961surf)

[ This Message was edited by: 1961surf 2009-03-13 12:24 ]

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mongoloid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-13 12:27 pm   Permalink

I got this message from Rory awhile back but haven't heard anything new, that was good times last May. Sad to hear the restaurant and bar have since closed. Rory really put it together well last year so I'm hoping he Butch's up again!

Whats up Rubberneck?
We may be doing a tiki caliente II the last weekend in May. If you are interested email me at
roryjsnyder@hotmail.com so I can put you on the presale list!!!!!! You will get a discount if you lock in before Jan 31st.

Have a good holiday and hope to see you in P.S.

Rory

View Profile of Mongoloid Send a personal message to Mongoloid      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-13 12:54 pm   Permalink

I will give Rory a call today.I am over do for a Palm Springs trip.

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Lew
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-13 2:44 pm   Permalink

I PM'd Rory (Wildsville Man) about this a couple months ago, and he replied that he didn't think it was gonna happen this year due to the management at the Caliente Tropics. Hopefully something has changed since then.

View Profile of Tiki Lew Send a personal message to Tiki Lew      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-13 2:55 pm   Permalink

The terms the owner asked for are unreasonable this year. He seems to think that because of Caliente Tropic's full house last year, he wanted a guarantee. I am going to call up and ask them when Tiki Caliente 2 is going to be. Maybe if a few of you can do the same?

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-13 3:26 pm   Permalink

ya... i heard they ripped the Reef Bar out!!? Dang, i have a tiki to find now......

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI-RAY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-13 4:10 pm   Permalink

Cindy and I drove through the Tropics last month during the Shag/modernism show. The resort looked like a ghostown complete with tumbleweeds rolling through the parking lot . All you could hear was the sound of chirping crickets . What a waste ! They dont realize that there is something about an event there that just captures the theme of Tiki Caliente and the parties going on during Tiki Oasis were unforgettable . They should make it a Don the Beachcomber resort . Shit, did I just start a new thread ?

View Profile of TIKI-RAY Send a personal message to TIKI-RAY  Email TIKI-RAY Goto the website of TIKI-RAY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-13 4:40 pm   Permalink

My girlfriend and I actually stayed there Modernism Week this year. I'd say the place was about 3/4 full. As for the Reef Bar, the windows were covered in black plastic. The west side of the bar/restaurant building had a large construction waste bin that had a lot of construction/drywall dust around. So they appear to be actively doing something to it, as opposed just having it just sit there. That could be a bad thing though, obviously.

In this pic you can see the plastic in the windows on the side entrance. (the plastic was clear but hard to see thru)

This is a pic from the pool side. You can see the plastic in the windows, plus it looks like drywall dust or something that was tracked out by something with wheels.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Shaker 2009-03-13 19:20 ]

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mongoloid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-13 8:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-13 16:40, Tiki Shaker wrote:
My girlfriend and I actually stayed there Modernism Week this year. I'd say the place was about 3/4 full. As for the Reef Bar, the windows were covered in black plastic. The west side of the bar/restaurant building had a large construction waste bin that had a lot of construction/drywall dust around. So they appear to be actively doing something to it, as opposed just having it just sit there. That could be a bad thing though, obviously.

In this pic you can see the plastic in the windows on the side entrance. (the plastic was clear but hard to see thru)

This is a pic from the pool side. You can see the plastic in the windows, plus it looks like drywall dust or something that was tracked out by something with wheels.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Shaker 2009-03-13 19:20 ]

Sounds like it might be a blank canvas, time to get Bamboo Ben down there!

[ This Message was edited by: Mongoloid 2009-03-13 20:09 ]

View Profile of Mongoloid Send a personal message to Mongoloid      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-13 8:14 pm   Permalink

Looks like it's time to get Tiki Diablo and Notch over there!

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-15 1:23 pm   Permalink

Peep's of Wildsville,

Tiki Caliente II?

I wish I could say it was going to happen this year but that would be a lie. After dealing with the Owner of the Caliente Tropics (Rogger Abbott) I realized it was not worth the effort to do something that would help out a business that doesn't care about it's fan's.

One weekend of entertainment takes about 4 months of planning and time,and that too long to partner with someone who doesn't have the same goal in mind.

I thank everyone who trusted there time and money with a new bee to come to the show, and I know I did everything in my power to entertain and keep it cost effective.

Will there be a Tiki Caliente 2? I believe so,but it will happen when I have more control of the product.

My goal was to keep it real!!!!! We were boutique Tiki not Walmart Tiki!!!!! We had great vendors with great products and we didn't gouge them to be part of the Show. Also we had some of the greatest artist that happen to do tiki involved too. (I can't thank Doug Horne or Sam Gambino enough.)Also,thanks to the Bands........The Smok'in Boy's and Martini Kings were very cool to be part of a show with a very lean budget...........This is what the tiki crowd I know is really like.

So please enjoy the more established shows and historic restaurants and bar's, but please back the new bee's that are doing it for the right reason and are passionate about what they do too...They will be historic too some day.

Thanks again,

Your Hero,
Wildsville Man
"The peoples choice"

http://tiki-caliente.com/info/?cat=12

View Profile of Wildsville man Send a personal message to Wildsville man  Email Wildsville man Goto the website of Wildsville man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-16 3:54 pm   Permalink

Thanks Rory you da Man!! I will be PM you soon.

Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-21 10:20 am   Permalink

Don't forget Martina or we'll catch ya later Wildsville.

The Cellar will remain buried for now anyway.

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Girlwerks
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-04-28 6:23 pm   Permalink

OMG!! Ok I too.. just wrote Rory an email.

I just moved down to this groovy paradise we call Palm Springs. I am all up for producing something Tiki down here.
It's an absolute MUST. Come on........ this is grooves-ville man.......... it CAN happen again!!!!!

View Profile of Girlwerks Send a personal message to Girlwerks  Email Girlwerks Goto the website of Girlwerks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-28 6:26 pm   Permalink

hi all, I am just down the road in palm desert, I too would help in anyway, the events at the caliente were great. Let me know if I can help

amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation