FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts How do you know which plants to include?
How do you know which plants to include?
tiki moon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-15 01:11 am   Permalink

Artists,

When you make a tiki scene, how do you know which plants to use?

Do you know the real plants of the area? Can you name some?

Or do you make them up out of your head based on your imagination without trying to be specific about what actual varieties they are?

View Profile of tiki moon Send a personal message to tiki moon  Goto the website of tiki moon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki moon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-15 01:30 am   Permalink

...especially when the foliage is heavy, and a big part of the piece.

View Profile of tiki moon Send a personal message to tiki moon  Goto the website of tiki moon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-15 10:42 am   Permalink

TikiMoon, I can't really speak for the artists but I think that is personal preference and artistic license. Also depends on your style and the media you are using. If you want some inspiration do a Google image search for "tropical foliage". Commonly used plants are palms, elephant ear, monstera, tree ferns, gingers, ti, hibiscus, bamboo, bananas, plumeria, bird of paradise, etc.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki moon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-15 12:01 pm   Permalink

Great suggestions; thanks. I think I have a good sense of it all now.

Dracaena massangeana - corn plant - seems popular, too. The leaf is often a long green spear with a yellow stripe down the middle.

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation