[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Kamaina Klub progress
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Kamaina Klub progress
Kamaina Kraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-16 1:52 pm   Permalink

I put this in the Ohana section before I realized this is probably where it should be.

Quote:

On 2009-03-16 13:32, parrothead13730 wrote:
Just a note to say Aloha to everyone. So far this seems like a great place and I feel as though I should have been here 30 years ago. I am retired navy living upstate NY. We were stationed in Guam, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, San Diego, Jacksonville and Boston. Had my first Tiki Bar in the backyard in base housing on Nimitz Hill in Guam in 1979. It was fantastic being able to have it outside year round. We just bought a house on the Unadilla River in Mt. Upton NY. Has a great family room in the walkout basement that is 18X31 with a wet bar in the back corner. Starting to transform it into a Tiki Bar now. Overlooking the river it is quite nice. Has tongue in groove paneling all around the room now. Will look quite different when I am done.

The beginning.

[ This Message was edited by: parrothead13730 2009-03-16 13:35 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Kamaina Kraig 2009-03-21 19:42 ]

View Profile of Kamaina Kraig Send a personal message to Kamaina Kraig  Email Kamaina Kraig     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kamaina Kraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-16 1:53 pm   Permalink

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Craig

View Profile of Kamaina Kraig Send a personal message to Kamaina Kraig  Email Kamaina Kraig     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Proprietor

Posted: 2009-03-16 2:17 pm   Permalink

Hi Parrothead,

I'm the owner and operator of Tiki Central. Welcome to the site. Just a quick warning for you, you may find the regulars here a bit hostile. Tiki Central makes a clear distinction between "Polynesian pop" and "Jimmy Buffett" tiki. Traditionally the differences include Rum vs. Tequila, Pacific ocean vs Atlantic, vibraphone vs steel drum.

Tiki Central takes its roots from the Tiki Bar movement of the 1950s, which is a world apart from the Jimmy Buffett inspired tiki. As petty as it may sound, it has caused some friction for a lot of the users here, to the point where I specifically mention in the "about" section:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/about.php

As the about page says, you're welcome to like Jimmy Buffett and the Florida style of tiki bar, but that's not what this site is about. If you're willing to dive in and learn about the Polynesian Pop movement our members will happily embrace you. But if that's not what you're about, or what you want to learn more about, then this is not the forum for you.

Mahalo; thanks for joining.

[ This Message was edited by: hanford_lemoore 2009-03-16 14:18 ]

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tai Won On
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-16 2:30 pm   Permalink

I say welcome no matter what you are into. So "Welcome".

[ This Message was edited by: Tai Won On 2009-03-16 15:15 ]

View Profile of Tai Won On Send a personal message to Tai Won On  Email Tai Won On     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Proprietor

Posted: 2009-03-16 2:38 pm   Permalink

Parrothead asked me to change his name, so he's now Kamaina Kraig. Welcome!

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kamaina Kraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-16 2:40 pm   Permalink

Thanks everyone.

Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-16 2:55 pm   Permalink

Whew, I'm so glad Hanford rescued you before you encountered any roving headhunters. When I saw the original username and signature, I started writing you a personal message, to give you a "heads up" about the Buffett thing. But when I tried to send it, it said there was no such username. It had been changed, even as I was writing the message!
Welcome, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the bar project progresses. Looks like a great room with lots of potential.

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2009-03-16 15:00 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-16 3:07 pm   Permalink

Truly, welcome! And just know it is OK to own, show and discuss "Cheeseburger in Paradise" tiki mugs, even the ones from Hawaii...

View Profile of KuKu Send a personal message to KuKu  Email KuKu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alohacurrent
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-16 3:24 pm   Permalink

Hey Kraig with an 18 x 31 space you could tikify the hell outta that place. Nice score.

View Profile of alohacurrent Send a personal message to alohacurrent  Email alohacurrent     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-16 3:42 pm   Permalink

Yeah great room! I am glad you decided to stay on here and participate. I think you will absorb an amazing amount of inspiration for your room on here and I cant wait to see how it starts to transform. Welcome!

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-16 7:59 pm   Permalink

Welcome!!!
I could go on and on about the room.
Great space!! Bigger than most.
This is what you should do, draw out your plans.
Right down to the outlets.
You will need a lot of outlets for hanging lights ect...
We go to tons of flea markets, antique shows, tiki events
to get the stuff we fill our tiki bars with.
For me I like buying tikis from guys here that in my mind
are more artist types than just hey here's a tiki from odd lots.
Why? heres why.

You give them money and they flip you off!
I love that! It's the story that goes behind getting the stuff
that makes getting it fun!
Don't run out and try to make an instant tiki bar.
look at old tiki bar pics and do that at your place.
Like cover that pole with rope about 5 feet up. Top half tapa.
Good luck!!

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiauction
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-17 08:32 am   Permalink

blowfish lamp $25
tiki bar kit $150
tiki aquarium $200

having the missus put up with all the junk, priceless.

for everything else there's tikicentral.

View Profile of tikiauction Send a personal message to tikiauction  Goto the website of tikiauction     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipaka
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-17 09:30 am   Permalink

Wow, it's a good thing I sent this guy a PM on Saturday..

Quote:
Whew, I'm so glad Hanford rescued you before you encountered any roving headhunters. When I saw the original username and signature, I started writing you a personal message, to give you a "heads up" about the Buffett thing. But when I tried to send it, it said there was no such username. It had been changed, even as I was writing the message!
Welcome, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the bar project progresses. Looks like a great room with lots of potential.

I was trying to help behind the scenes.. It worked.. This is a much better username.. Now I can't wait to see his Tiki room in process photos..

View Profile of tikipaka Send a personal message to tikipaka  Email tikipaka Goto the website of tikipaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-17 10:57 am   Permalink

Great looking space for your new bar. And I see it already has a stripper pole in the middle of the room. Excellent!!

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kamaina Kraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-21 7:08 pm   Permalink

Have made a few cosmetic changes. Added a couple of things I've picked up. Here are some new pics of the Kamaina Klub.

Still a huge work in progress...to be continued.

Craig

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation