[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Kamaina Klub progress
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Kamaina Klub progress
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-22 12:35 pm   Permalink

I agree with Skip. You need pieces that have a story behind them. That takes some contact and research with the artists. Skip's a master lamp maker, and there are several people like that here.

You need to be able to talk about many of your pieces to guests...

Like "My cousin stole this witco from a place his dad used to own."

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=13461&forum=1

Or - "These are the tikis from The Book of Tiki."

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=12047&forum=7&vpost=401387

Many of the artists will custom design and create pieces for you from your wishes.
If you're lucky, like I am, they'll make a mug from your original piece like Tiki Tony did for the Fatutu he carved and shipped to me. I also sent the specs of my mug shelf to Monkeyman and he made a magnificent frame. Those two pieces I bought in different years.

Don't get in a hurry. A few years will go by really fast and your place can be AWESOME.

And you've got to check out the bars of Lake Surfer and boutiki that kind of match your room layout there a little.

If you're really good at mixing drinks, people bring you stuff.
That's key. Tell them you like glass floats and tapa and vintage mugs or you'll get kites with parrots on them and crap like that.

Don't paint your ceiling white and as Bamboo Ben always hollers "LAYERS!"

Finally, when you've got it pretty well in hand throw a party, invite me and don't forget the fresh mint. I'll bring a mug.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kamaina Kraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-29 4:58 pm   Permalink

Put some new lights up and added a few doo dads we had in storage.

The lights over the bar are actually quite orange. Don't show up that well in the picture.

KK

[ This Message was edited by: Kamaina Kraig 2009-03-29 16:59 ]

View Profile of Kamaina Kraig Send a personal message to Kamaina Kraig  Email Kamaina Kraig     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kamaina Kraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-28 1:16 pm   Permalink

Here are a couple new pics of the Kamaina Klub

Of course...still a work in progress...waiting for the bamboo and thatch to redo the bar area. And I still have to do something with the ceiling...

KK

View Profile of Kamaina Kraig Send a personal message to Kamaina Kraig  Email Kamaina Kraig     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-28 1:23 pm   Permalink

Slowly but surely its getting there...baby steps to the end result!

Your room screams for some rattan furniture instead of the comfy sofas (rattan is pretty comfy too!). I would love for you to keep an eye out for some and see if you can score some at a good price.

I am jealous that you have all those rattan shelves I am in desperate need!!

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimyniki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-28 2:40 pm   Permalink

"Just a quick warning for you, you may find the regulars here a bit hostile" ~Hanford

You think?

View Profile of tikimyniki Send a personal message to tikimyniki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kamaina Kraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-28 3:58 pm   Permalink

I know Leleliz....believe me I have been looking for some rattan I can afford. I do have rattan sofa frame I picked up for a few dollars that we are just starting to work on now...then make some cushions for it. As a disabled vet on a pension I am financially challenged... But I like what I have. I know it is not as nice as some I have seen on TC....some of them are out of this world. But I also know it is better than anyone I know in this area. It doesn't look like I have done much....but everything was taken out of the room....the walls were washed and re-oiled. The old carpet pulled up and what a chore it was to get the old tiles to shine...but I loved the look of the old tiles and now it looks so much nicer. Then everything was brought back in. I am working slowly on it.

Thanks for your input and I wish I could send you some shelving. That is all I seem to find for a reasonable cost around here.

KK

leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-28 4:04 pm   Permalink

Well you know what they say..if you build they will come. I am thinking you will stumble across some rattan at some point in the future..usually happens that way. Check Craigslist from time to time in your area. Under wicker/whicker,rattan/ratan,bamboo and you will be surprised at what people dont even know they have and get rid of for cheap! (mainly because they spell it wrong when they post it!)

Lots of people on here have very small rooms or like myself apartments to create their tiki area in. You my friend are blessed with all that space .

Those walls look great and I am looking forward to your next installment

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimyniki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-29 8:06 pm   Permalink

I like what I'm seeing Kraig...very dim and moody...

View Profile of tikimyniki Send a personal message to tikimyniki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gsc
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-02-22 03:54 am   Permalink

Great work. I apologize for bringing up an old post but after seeing your original "history" post I had to say something. My dad is retired navy also (I was a Marine). I was born in Guam and we were stationed there twice, we were also stationed in Rosevelt Roads Naval Base in Puerto Rico--- I hear it closed down years ago.

View Profile of Gsc Send a personal message to Gsc  Email Gsc Goto the website of Gsc     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-22 09:30 am   Permalink

Gsc I'm glad you brought this thread forward. I hadn't seen his space before. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-24 08:06 am   Permalink

wow, what a fun fun space!!!!

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Longboard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-24 08:06 am   Permalink

Kamaina Kraig<

Don't worry about being totally Tiki, you'll get there by just being a part of this site.

I did a Mid-Centery/tiki room and no one threw me off the site.

But really, when it comes to drinking, stick with the Rum!!!

-Longboard

View Profile of Longboard Send a personal message to Longboard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation