FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ Locating Tiki ╗ ╗ Luau, Mexico City, Mexico (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Luau, Mexico City, Mexico (restaurant)
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-24 08:15 am   Permalink

Oh, and that mug you asked about is a take-off of the common Orchids "Dr. Funk" mug:

The bamboo one is originally from Orchids, also. Some Mexican Chinese restaurant supply place must have started making them after Orchids of Hawaii closed. Tiki Farm had their mugs made in Mexico for a while, too.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-24 11:43 am   Permalink

I think the mugs where made by Tiki Farm. I knew they produced mugs in Mexico, but where? not anymore?

We can see those cool exotic green tile ceramics... What's the story about those? I have seen them in other Asian Tiki bars...

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-24 11:55 am   Permalink

I think their mugs are all done in China now.

And here is a whole discussion about those Chinese tiles:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=24050&forum=1

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-01-25 13:33 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-28 11:12 am   Permalink

A small map of "Zona Rosa" what used to be Mexico's Tiki hot spot in the 1960's with at least 3 tiki bars in walking distance.

Hey Bigbro, when you visit, the Mai Tais are on me!

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-28 11:16 am   Permalink

Hey, I just realized... I think all the streets in "Zona Rosa" are named after cities with famous ports, and that is pretty cool for a Tiki hot spot.

Zeta
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-04 4:24 pm   Permalink

I know this matchbook is not so spectacular, but I do wonder what that building is or represents.

I am going to meet with the original owner of the establishment on Saturday to talk about the Polynesian origins of this place. What would you ask him?

Zeta
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-20 10:28 pm   Permalink

ethylic exploration* in progress...

*Term coined by me

TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-07-29 08:27 am   Permalink

Found these last week at a local antique store. It took me a while to search through some 30 "Luau" restaurant entries on TC, but once again TC comes through. The logo matches exactly. Luckily, this particular Luau logo is pretty unique, especially the accent on the last letter "U".

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT  Goto the website of TheBigT     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation