FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Do it yourself TAPA paper by TIKIVILLE
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Do it yourself TAPA paper by TIKIVILLE
TIKIVILLE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-20 10:53 am   Permalink

Well desire,lack of female company and lack of funds has once again inspired my creativity ( that and a small Q&A with BAMBOO BEN)
Tell me what you think of the first part of my home mads TAPA project,I still need to apply a couple colors and ruff it up a bit but ....

like any good project ...starts with a drink !

as you can see I have a lot of space to create! lol
This is just started out a practice piece but I may end up finding a place for it .
any advice or examples of your own tapa ideas?
................Mahalo
( OH YEAH , I started at 11;30 pm and finished at 3 ;25 am! )

[ This Message was edited by: TIKIVILLE 2009-03-20 10:54 ]

View Profile of TIKIVILLE Send a personal message to TIKIVILLE  Email TIKIVILLE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pwest71
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-20 10:59 am   Permalink

Hey Tikiville,

Nice work. Any progress shots? Could you fill us in on how you did it? What kind of paper is the base?

Paul

View Profile of pwest71 Send a personal message to pwest71      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIVILLE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-20 3:27 pm   Permalink

I'll post the pics as the project progresses, The paper I used came from the secret land of nifty paper ( Michaels craft store) it's just packing paper ...comes in a tight roll .Ya gotta crumple it up without tearing it ,the crumplier the better !...but thats the "magic" sorry if it doesn't seem more exciting lol
I think tonite I'll do the darker brown color.
Stay tuned

View Profile of TIKIVILLE Send a personal message to TIKIVILLE  Email TIKIVILLE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-20 6:47 pm   Permalink

Wowwwy Zowwwy, way nice. Are you using a template or is this freehand? The darker brown will really make it pop. GREAT JOB!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pwest71
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-21 6:54 pm   Permalink

Duh!! Why didn't I think of that? Here I've been trying to think of what kind of fabric would be even close to tapa to simulate it on my own, being in Pennsylvania makes it hard to find ANYTHING tropical, other than the cheap luau party stuff.

Thanks Tikiville!

Paul

View Profile of pwest71 Send a personal message to pwest71      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jpmartdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-22 08:06 am   Permalink

looking forward to the progress shots!
interesting project!

View Profile of jpmartdog Send a personal message to jpmartdog  Email jpmartdog Goto the website of jpmartdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-22 09:09 am   Permalink

Looks like a great first attempt! Me thinks I needs to get to the art store to buy a roll of packing paper...

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIVILLE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-23 11:26 am   Permalink

so here are the final shots of my home made tapa project...now this is as I said a practice piece to see which designs I liked and didn't ( yes all free hand with no sketching or planning ...like most things I do lol ) , after I finished I figured not to let it go to waste so I found a place to hang it .It's not wide enough for a wall and would have to be mounted then painted but that is a coming project ! ENJOY!
and MAHALO for the input !

[ This Message was edited by: TIKIVILLE 2009-03-23 11:28 ]

Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-03-23 12:22 pm   Permalink

looks great on the floor but even better in place! Nice "trial" piece!
Looking forward to the next one!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Nesian Girl

Posted: 2009-06-20 8:42 pm   Permalink

Woooooooozers...great work and being polynesian myself - I'm not that artistic so now you've inspired me.
Here is a link to some Samoan tapa designs that I might try:
http://www.aotearoa.co.nz/pacific/samoa/gallery.html

View Profile of Nesian Girl Send a personal message to Nesian Girl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-21 11:31 am   Permalink

That is really nice, very ingenious, looks great

Amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIVILLE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-22 12:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-20 20:42, Nesian Girl wrote:
Woooooooozers...great work and being polynesian myself - I'm not that artistic so now you've inspired me.
Here is a link to some Samoan tapa designs that I might try: http://www.aotearoa.co.nz/pacific/samoa/gallery.html

Thanks for that link , I's gonna help me out on the next piece I do !
I think i'll use brown paper next time and water colors....

4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-22 2:11 pm   Permalink

So what kind of paint or ink did you use on that, if you're going with watercolors next?
Can't wait to see the next one, cuz I think this one captures the look of tapa so well!

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIVILLE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-22 2:51 pm   Permalink

I used white packing paper and fabric dye,ya I just mixed about 1/2 cup of water with a package of brown dye ...went over it for darker parts and used a lighter dye for other parts you get it .
I think the BROWN packing paper that Bamboo Ben suggested may work better ...

TIKIVILLE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-05 11:45 am   Permalink

so I've started on a less interpretive and more traditional looking piece.I am using brown paper and water colors....like it's gonna take a few more tic tocs than the last one lol but the result should be worth it !
here's a peek....

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation