FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving NEW Benzart Black Jade Marq 3-6-14
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 Next Page )
NEW Benzart Black Jade Marq 3-6-14
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-22 8:03 pm   Permalink

Greetings TC Land FIRST, here is a link to my Last Thread which was bursting at the seams with over a hundred pages.
LAST THREAD
Here is a link to MY THIRD THREADStarting July2 2007

Heres the link to myMY SECOND THREAD starting Feb 02 2006

Heres the link to MY FIRST THREAD starting in Feb 02, 2004

Some links to Previous pic's posted which Shutterfly changed the links to and are empty boxes in the old posts:
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8BZsnDFm3asbO
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8BZsnDFm3ascw
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8BZsnDFm3asbs
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8BZsnDFm3ascS

Now down to the real work. Seems like forever since I've picked up a tool!
Finally did a wee bit of a tiki here this weekend. I found a guy on My Space who used the spines from a large sea urchin for some tiki pendants and thought why Not. The stuff is a bit strange and fairly Soft, almost like that Areated concrete but different. anyway as I was roughing out the body I broke his neck by dropping him on the cement floor so I just finished the head alone on this one.

I think sherry likes this one for herself
http://www.facebook.com/benzart

[ This Message was edited by: Benzart 2014-03-09 07:14 ]

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-22 8:18 pm   Permalink

Nice one, Benz!
Sooo small!
Does the sea urchin spine have that sea urchin smell?

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-22 9:20 pm   Permalink

WOW! You're insane and that'sa good thing. Sea Urchin spine? THAT is pretty cool. If you haven't seen that video I posted in The Viral Video thread I'll send it to ya'. The artist paints sooo small he uses a hair from a house flies back as a brush. Your getting close to him. You need a microscope?

[ This Message was edited by: Jungle Trader 2009-03-22 21:22 ]

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-22 10:25 pm   Permalink

AMAZING!!!! Give a real expression of life in a so small piece...amazing! I will rename my thread: big carving from france ...
Your new work worth the time to wait. Sorry for the broken body, but you have yet some materials and so as much promise of new things...

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-22 11:12 pm   Permalink

Geeze Ben!

Freaking amazing!

The size of a quarter!

What's next, a grain of rice!

Wonderful detail in such a small package... and way to expand the possibilities of new carving materials!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-23 03:15 am   Permalink

Not trying to muscle in on the 'little' market are you BenZ? Very nice to see you here and with a new thread no less. I hope this means you have a swag of new stuff to show us? Id better stick around and see if I can keep up this time..

Best wishes,

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-23 03:32 am   Permalink

Thanks Bowana, yeah the size of the spine was very limiting. Oh YES, the SMELL, definitely took me right to the rocky Biscane Bay shore, with crabs and dead sea animals and all kinds of flotsam laying around. Not a really Unpleasant smell in small doses and these spines had just enough to make it interesting. I wouldn't want to chew on it for sure.

Digger, Thanks for the kind words, and No, I haven't seen that video, paints using fly hairs for his brush? I would definitely need a microscope for that size But this is about as small as I think I want to go, though I May want to do a pendant/earring set some day. Yes I am A few doors Past Getting insane.

Thanks Laojia, your comments from So Far away are very Welcome, I appreciate your kindness. I originally started out to make this guy very shallow because the material is so soft and Unknown. It seems the only strength is in the outer shell which is pretty hard, but Inside it is much like damp(smelly) chalk. So when I broke his neck I figured I would just go as deep as I felt the guy needed to be realistic.
This one won't be sold because I would rather test it out first and since Sherry really liked it, she will be the guinea pig.

Thanks Lake, I appreciate your enthusiasm but I think I'll Eat the rice and carve other things. This is about as small as I'd like to go. though smaller on a harder material would actually be easier.

WOAH, Who is this Tama guy, Welcome back. Actually you can have the "Little" market, this stuff anyway was a real pain not knowing weather the piece would survive with Every touch of the tool!
I don't know though, working small definitely has advantages like no heavy lifting, storage space is cleared, Much less mess But I think the old "Box" would get More populated as it doesn't take much of a slip to erase a nose or an ear.
Nice seeing you here Sir!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-23 05:34 am   Permalink

holy schmoly benz! that guy is amazing. the amount of detail you put into something that small is truly great. i've seen the video jungle trader speaks of and that guy has made and painted a piece that fits inside the eye of a needle. bvut back to you just amazing benz. hmmm.... the amazing benz, not a bad ring to it.

bd

View Profile of big daddy Send a personal message to big daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-23 07:58 am   Permalink

Oh wow. Very tiny and very cool! I can't believe you even fit your name on the back.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-23 08:22 am   Permalink

Check this out Mr. Wizard!!
www.guzer.com/videos/needle-art.php

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-23 08:44 am   Permalink

Dang!
it's hard enough to draw that small
but carve?!?!
sheesh!
You're incredible,Ben!
and on a Sea Urchin spine no less...
dang!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-03-23 08:49 am   Permalink

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-03-23 09:25 am   Permalink

Hey Ben - you got some amazing detail with that spine - great deep carves. Did you ever get to the hollow center? The ones around here are pretty brittle - was it hard to keep from snapping, or does that species have a little more sturdy spine?

Great work Ben, you are constantly amazing us!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-23 10:33 am   Permalink

Thanks Big Daddy, He didn't start out so small. Just now watched that video, in Total Awe!

Thanks The BigT, Of course I had to fit my name on back or it wouldn't be a "Benzart" now Would it!

Digger, Thanks, that IS Truly Amazing as is the Selling price for his life's work. 22Mil$, maybe i Should go Smaller?

LLT, Thanks for the comps, Drawing small is like carving small, you are only limited by the size of the tools and the media.. Yeah, Sea urchin spines,, Always Loved'em.

Grog, Welcome to these parts. Thanks for the warnings I'll have to make sure to hide it when the 3 year old are about.

Polly, Thanks for the kind words, you know me, Deeper is Better! These spines are solid but very porous. When the head broke off I was able to see that there was not a hollow center, it's kinda strange stuff. When I was done I coated it with 3 coats of shellac which all soaked right in, like it was a sponge. I'll do some progress shots on the next one.

Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-23 1:45 pm   Permalink

spines from a large sea urchin? Really, wow! I didn't even know they have a spine, where, how?... Sounds like a Lovecraft story!

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation