FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Edgar Leeteg
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Edgar Leeteg
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-25 1:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-24 00:38, Zeta wrote:
Nude blond woman

I know where the original painting is (much larger than most Leeteg's), and the subject is still alive and well, living here in Honolulu.

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki-riviera
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-25 1:59 pm   Permalink

Just my 2 cents, but I think Leeteg was one of the greatest American artists ever. I hope someday to own an original, and actually the prices for one are still fairly reasonable.

View Profile of tiki-riviera Send a personal message to tiki-riviera  Email tiki-riviera     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-26 1:18 pm   Permalink

He used the best medium - velvet, the best subjects - polynesia and babes, had one of the best abilities and styles, which deffinitely equals (...at least one of) the best artist in American history.

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-26 9:23 pm   Permalink

I think they are a bargain also. As much as I like Shag's stuff, you could probably buy a couple of original Leeteg's for less than a Shag painting. Apples and oranges, but I would rather have something vintage.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lightning Steve
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-03-26 10:10 pm   Permalink

I have an original Leeteg painting, not sure just what the real name for it is. We just called it the "naked lady" which really doesn't narrow it down with a Leeteg. I will see about getting a picture of it. It was originally my Grandmothers and I know it's at least 47 (or more?) years old.

View Profile of Lightning Steve Send a personal message to Lightning Steve  Email Lightning Steve     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-27 02:53 am   Permalink

Quote:
I know where the original painting is (much larger than most Leeteg's), and the subject is still alive and well, living here in Honolulu.

Msteeln - you must be referring to the velvet at Lai Fong, of which you've written previously. Tell us more - who is the lady? If you'd rather not say who she is, then what's her story? Did she actually pose for Leeteg? Does she have any memories of that experience?

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-28 11:06 pm   Permalink

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-29 7:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-27 02:53, Koolau wrote:

Msteeln - you must be referring to the velvet at Lai Fong, of which you've written previously. Tell us more - who is the lady? If you'd rather not say who she is, then what's her story? Did she actually pose for Leeteg? Does she have any memories of that experience?

About all I can answer at this point is, yes, it's just sitting on the floor(!?!) at Lai Fong, and she did pose for the painting.
I'm remiss in getting further info on the matter, but have been hoping to do so and will expound on it's origin and subject when I can. I'd love to convince the owners to revamp the whole store into something even more special than it currently is, with the Leeteg as one of many centerpieces, and it's already long been the coolest and unsung spot in all of old Honolulu and Chinatown.

Dogfather

Posted: 2011-01-03 1:37 pm   Permalink

I have one of two Edgar Leeteg paintings that were given to my father in 1978. A 24" X 34" picture of a polynesian woman with a fishing net. It seems that this painting is named "Hukilau Girl" from the information I have seen. I am looking for more information about it.

View Profile of Dogfather Send a personal message to Dogfather      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dogfather

Posted: 2011-01-03 1:42 pm   Permalink

I have this Leeteg painting that was given to my father in Hawaii in 1978 for his service. I am trying to find out more about this painting

View Profile of Dogfather Send a personal message to Dogfather      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Okolehao
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-07 11:27 am   Permalink

Shag has even done his own tribute to Leeteg.

Classic Velvets
by Song Shen

View Profile of Okolehao Send a personal message to Okolehao  Goto the website of Okolehao     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-07 4:54 pm   Permalink

Some old photos of Leeteg paintings from the Bob Brooks Seven Seas restaurant in Hollywood.

Also a Leeteg portrait of Bob Brooks from Tiki Shakers postcard.

And the Leeteg from Don the Beachcomber's collection that was used on a menu cover.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-07 7:39 pm   Permalink

This one is at Billy's at the Beach in Newport Beach.

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-08 09:14 am   Permalink

The Leeteg Tahia #2, for sale on ebay.

Came from the Davis gallery.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-11 2:41 pm   Permalink

I currently have this on eBay but I wanted to add the photo here before it sells.
This one hadn't already been part of the thread.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation