[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » new pieces
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
new pieces
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-25 10:23 am   Permalink

ode to buzzy - sorry buzzy i can't compare this to your beautiful setting but it's the closest i can come. out by hamilton's pool outside of austin.

well i've been away too long from carving. been herding cats, spending time in the texas hill country (girlfriend lives there) and killing flying cockroaches before the attack my daughter(and for anyone of you that doubts there are flying roaches, come to texas and yes they are big, at lest 2 inches long).
i finally started 2 new pieces, one in pine - trying my hand at the suffering bastard. hand tools are great but one day i will get myself a grinder and a lancelot, though i did see that sears has a hand held saw that resembles a grinder with not 1 but 2 blades! back, notice the white rubber grommets-he was suppose to lean back but unfortunately i removed too much from the back and all he does is fall over. i'll have to find some other way to make him stand.

the front, he's wearing a grass loincloth - still need to do quite a bit of sanding and stain before he's done.

my little guy is made from southern white pine. i felt like an abusive parent as i kept breaking and resetting his arms while i was making him. still needs stain.

both together - little guy is about 8 inches tall.

i can't find palms in my neighborhood but i did come across these in the throwout pile of a neighbor. after i nabbed most he came out and put a sign that read "bamboo - 7 poles for $10"

and this project kept me busy for awhile. the latest batch of william j. lepetomane memorial beer. 6 left of the gov's double chocolate stout and a new batch of taggert's india pale ale. it's the best place to store the beer because the washer doesn't work.

laojia, should have something for you later today.

View Profile of big daddy Send a personal message to big daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VonTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-25 11:54 am   Permalink

There's tons of Palm Logs to be had in Galveston. I was there recently and they are everywhere. Uprooted, big ones, even with root balls. Laying on the side of the road, or in a field, in yards, they're everywhere! It's a tiki carvers heaven in Galveston, and surrounding beach areas. There's even a place there named Tiki Island. Nice houses! A few tikis there too. One carver has made a name for himself there, I don't know what it is. The mosquitos there are fricken bad though! Big flying blood suckers. I got bit in the earlobe and it swelled real bad. Make sure you wear lots of DEET.

View Profile of VonTiki Send a personal message to VonTiki  Email VonTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-25 1:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-25 10:23, big daddy wrote:
i can't find palms in my neighborhood but i did come across these in the throwout pile of a neighbor. after i nabbed most he came out and put a sign that read "bamboo - 7 poles for $10"

Sounds like you got quite a steal then!

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-25 3:05 pm   Permalink

The big fella is a complicated carve. Lots of things
running thru you head on this guy. You are doing great.

The little fella is really cool nice work.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drasticwagon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-25 6:25 pm   Permalink

Nice job Big Daddy , I need to stop by sometime when I am in your area. We go down to Houston/Galveston/Alvin about 5 times a year from Ft.Worth. We usually rent a beach house for a week at the end of the summer on Crystal Beach but that is all gone now , bummer. I am planning to come down with a trailer for the weekend to go on a palm hunt soon though.
Scotty

View Profile of drasticwagon Send a personal message to drasticwagon  Goto the website of drasticwagon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-25 10:11 pm   Permalink

New work was good, very good, especially the little guy, Roa god from gambier island, I like this sleek style. Solid arms is very sensitive in this kind of statue...Well done!

Be careful ! Your beer stock hide some minéral water bottles...choose the wrong can be dangerous

J.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-25 10:24 pm   Permalink

I like the African/Picasso-ishness of this guy. Nice one!

Bowie

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-26 10:29 am   Permalink

thanks guys for the comments. i meant to update my old posting but instead wound up starting a new thread, that's what happens when you're computer illiterate and the child is in school.

thanks for the idea von and yeah i know about tiki island. unfortunately it doesn't have alot to do with tiki's, maybe back in the 50's and 60's it may have had a bit more meaning and i've only seen 3 carvings in that community. schlitterbahn has more carvings than tiki island.

drasticwagon you can stop by anytime and if i have the time i'll follow you down to galveston. i need to head down there soon myself and start a reclamation project.

thanks seeks, hate to think what a psychiatrist would see in my carves.

bowana - laojia hit it right on the head with god rao from gambier island. didn't think anyone would catch that. made him a little LARGER to compensate for MY short comings.

t - meet the guy later. he laughed when he saw my back yard. says if i want anymore to just go over and help him cut it down.

laojia - even the mineral water has beer in it. i might be dumb but i'm not stupid!

bd

View Profile of big daddy Send a personal message to big daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-26 10:55 am   Permalink

These look great.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-26 5:35 pm   Permalink

Excellent tiki stuff Big daddy and I Love seeing unintended use of tools and equipment(cooler!)That pine looks a lot like our Slash pine here in Fla and is not really bad carving wood but seems to be Shunned by most carvers for some reason. You seem to be having no problems with it except for the arms breaking on the smaller guy. That is natural for that style and the only way to prevent it is to drill straight through and glue in a wooden dowel.
On how to make the Sufferrer stand up, you could have leveled the base before you started but I see lots of tikis carved that way and it always seems that it is a common oversight. Now a mice mahogany or walnut wedge base will do the trick.
Nice Stuff!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-26 10:57 pm   Permalink

laojia
here are the photos of the black walnut. wanna see something good from this and maybe a small piece for my daughter if that's ok with you. thanks for everything.

[img]http://tikiroom.com/img/9797x49cc6a52.jpg[/img

bd

benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-27 01:14 am   Permalink

WOW dude,

The big one's really first class wit hsome pretty neat lines.
The small one makes me think of some Mangareva tiki and he's awesome too.
Will you smooth the whole big one or let it chisel textured ?

Bravo,

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-29 9:31 pm   Permalink

thanks for the comments everyone.

benjamin - i was thinking of smoothing out his arms and legs but leaving the loincloth and head all roughed up with chisel marks since he is suffering.

carved a quick tiki late friday night for my daughter, she turned 13 saturday. i did not have much time for detail work. it definitely gave me a whole new appreciation for benzart, laojia and ellly's work (if i missed a few others that work in miniatures i apologize profusely). you guys rock. hope to get back to the big stuff this week.

Grand Poobah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-30 03:29 am   Permalink

I like the african/picasso guy a lot myself. Do you carve his arms from the same piece or are they added on? If so I can not tell. I am asking because I was hoping to add extended arms eventually to something I have been working on

View Profile of Grand Poobah Send a personal message to Grand Poobah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-30 4:04 pm   Permalink

Great job on the little fella.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation