[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving new pieces
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
new pieces
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-13 5:18 pm   Permalink

Hello BD!

Happy to see you back on TC and especially back with chisel and mallet!

Nice pics with moai!!

J.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-15 06:04 am   Permalink

Yes, Great traveling photos, the Farmer was surely handy with the stone work, Love the Moai reject and the Stonehenge is just unbelievable. Yes, Only in Texas. Have seen a few Texas Oddities with my Own eyes to know they exist!
Glad you are back carving a it too as your latest cannibal guy is looking Great. Nice detail and cool tools. Is that an empty gauze bandage wrapper I see there? Cannibal thirsting for fresh Blood?
Nice too seeing you spending quality time with your daughter, memories to last a life time since they grow up and go away in only a few short weeks it seems.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-15 10:31 am   Permalink

thanks guys for all your comments.

Formikahini stopped by the other day and pointed out that my latest piece - the cannibal

reminded her of this

guess i just like steal...., uhmmm borrowing from the masters.

big t - that's a very thin chisel that i used to scrape out the mouth and behind the head.

finkdaddy - hmmm, revenge of the texas tiki? tiki the 13th? hallowtiki? thanks for the idea, there's a story there.

seeks - thanks, likes cannibals myself. may work a few more that way.

laojia - thanks. been missing the mallets and chisels.

benz - yep, sometimes feels like my daughter ages a week for everyday that goes by. and no that wasn't a bandage wrapper, i changed out the strings on one of my guitars and tossed it on the pile of wood chips. i took your advise about being safe with the tools and knives.

again thanks for any and all comments,

bd

View Profile of big daddy Send a personal message to big daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-15 12:55 pm   Permalink

WOW Edvard Munch!! I like so much this painting!!!!

J.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-16 10:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-05-05 15:12, big daddy wrote:
buzzy,
i know this doesn't compare to your island getaway but at least it's got a swimmin' hole

known as jacob's well. frigid water temp. of 67 year round.

It actually looks a little cleaner than the island getaway. I haven't let the bay water touch my skin in a couple decades. Too polluted. With the fabled Texas heat, I'd jump in old jacob's well. water temps about the same as the bay here.
You should carve a tiki into one of those trees in the background. No one steal a whole tree, right?
Nice road trip photos. My parents stopped going on family road trips with me when I was about 14. I guess a few days for them stuck in a car with a teenage me and loudmouth little brother of mine wasn't a vacation for them. Go figure?

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
phinz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-18 1:08 pm   Permalink

Jacob's Well

View Profile of phinz Send a personal message to phinz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-18 3:01 pm   Permalink

Is that yellow pine? If you are carving with yellow pine now then you'll will be able to carve anything out of good hard wood later. Yellow pine is on the low end of wood carvers like to use best. Right next to balsa I think. Great way to hone your carving and sharpening skills. Yellow pine does look nice when carved though. Like the new guy! Very original.

Facebook

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-18 11:09 pm   Permalink

thanks phinz. i've seen that story. i stay at dancing waters inn which is located in the nature conservancy center that surrounds jacobs well. beautiful old cabin from the 1880's.

tikilizard - don't know if it is yellow pine. i like to call it ford pine, "found on road dead". carves fairly easy compared to the pecan wood i started my carving career. have a couple of palm logs i picked up after ike. just have to pick up a few tools to help debark.

buzzy - reminds me of our family trips. "do i have to stop the car and separate you two?!?!?!?" and " i will turn this car around if you two don't stop!!!!"

bd

View Profile of big daddy Send a personal message to big daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-26 9:36 pm   Permalink

hey guys,

i seem to rarely find time to carve but i did find a little time and have been working on this little guy. i had a leftover foot rung on an old chair i repaired. this is how it started out.

think it's oak cuz it's rather hard to carve.

still have to finish him and add some details to him and sand him and stain him. don't know how you add soo much detail in such little space benz but i'm trying as best i can. hope to finish him soon.

bd

goin' fishin' tomorrow. good luck to all y'all!

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-27 03:00 am   Permalink

Looking really Good big daddy, especially for that stingy piece of Oak Chair rung. What small tools do you have because if that Dremel and that disc are the smallest, then smaller bits and a Flex Shaft unit will certainly help get smaller detail as will the "Hook Knife". You are Still getting a Lot of detail for that size wood.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-27 1:15 pm   Permalink

Geez, that's taking some dexterity to carve a tiki outta that chair rung with that dremel wheel. Have you tried one of the smaller engraving bits? Looks like they could come in handy on that piece.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-27 9:08 pm   Permalink

thanks benz and t. been carving him with a hook knife. the dremel i didn't think about using until i got to the legs, then i did the rough out with it. sometimes i don't think it through very well.

bd

laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-17 12:12 pm   Permalink

BUMP! As promised...

J.

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-17 7:01 pm   Permalink

Way to go Big Daddy USE that Knife but ALSO use the dremel which has MANY tools for removing wood, the Possibilities are Endless. Explore the catalogs and on line stores'

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-17 7:02 pm   Permalink

Way to go Big Daddy USE that Knife but ALSO use the dremel which has MANY tools for removing wood, the Possibilities are Endless. Explore the catalogs and on line stores'

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation