FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge It's True! Spandau Ballet getting back together!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
It's True! Spandau Ballet getting back together!
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-25 4:20 pm   Permalink

I may be the only Hetero male in the USA who likes this band, so I was happy to read today that they are getting back together. I realize this is probably not a popular band with most people, but they have always been a guilty pleasure of mine. www.spandauballet.com

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-25 11:48 pm   Permalink

oh brother.
and you don't like the Beatles?

were you dropped on yer head as a baby?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ This Message was edited by: bigtikidude 2009-03-25 23:49 ]

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-26 08:21 am   Permalink

Uh, I know at least one other hetero guy who like Spandau...*

*I'll admit here to being a bit 'o' a virtual luddite. Sorry in advance for the poor quality of the video. I tried to find a program to flip it before posting it, but they all screwed up the sound.

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2009-03-26 10:40 am   Permalink

I'm both very pleased to hear the news and somewhat mortified that this was taped. Damn intarnets.

Bring on the Spandau!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-26 3:35 pm   Permalink

Are those the same guys that sang, "I bought a ticket to the wo wo world, but now I've come back again" GAG me with a spoon. Puhleeze!

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-26 5:16 pm   Permalink

Pretty much the way I feel when I hear "yellow submarine" by the Beatles.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-26 5:31 pm   Permalink

With all due respect Lucas...ahh nevermind...

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-26 9:28 pm   Permalink

Yellow Submarine? Reminds me of "They're Coming To Take Me Away HAHA". But how can you not like "For The Benefit of Mr. Kite" or "Within You Without You" ?? Glass Onion? Savoy Truffle? Sexy Sadie?

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bogielocks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-26 9:47 pm   Permalink

Spandau Ballet? Isn't that a brand of underwear?

View Profile of Bogielocks Send a personal message to Bogielocks      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-26 10:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-26 08:21, Haole'akamai wrote:

*I'll admit here to being a bit 'o' a virtual luddite. Sorry in advance for the poor quality of the video. I tried to find a program to flip it before posting it, but they all screwed up the sound.

HAHAHAHA! I just saw the video. "Listenin' to MARtin, this is the sou ou ound of my soul" HAHAHAHA! I love Martin; was that Rebecca giggling while filming?

woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-26 10:10 pm   Permalink

I like 'em too. One of the pop acts from the 80s actually worth seriously revisiting.

But I prefer to remember them like this:

And this:

Instead of this:

Or this:

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-26 10:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-26 08:21, Haole'akamai wrote:

I'm sorry Martin, but I believe I can no longer order any more gay drinks from you.
But were still friends.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-27 11:38 am   Permalink

The wall street stock broker look worked for this band, but the later picture with the full mullets is really embarassing! But, these guys did pretty well with the ladies back then, even with the mullets! As far as the music, well, I won't make excuses for the song "true". It's really naff, but not alone in that any tears for fears song sounds similar. I like the bass player, the raunchy tone he got on his musicman sabre, and for a glorified garage band, these guys managed to craft some excellent sophisto-pop in the same vein as ABC and Level 42.

tiki-riviera
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-27 3:43 pm   Permalink

Another Hetero male who was a fan. I spent some serious time in the backseat of my Mustang with my
high school girlfriend with Spandau playing in the cassette player. Ok, I might be lying a little,
we usually did it in the front seat (bench seat). Wonder if that would still work today???

View Profile of tiki-riviera Send a personal message to tiki-riviera  Email tiki-riviera     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-27 3:51 pm   Permalink

Of course, the lead singer Tony Hadley looks more like James Gandolfini now then the ultra-preppie he was back in the day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UyTePUp4lk&feature=related

But the guy can sing good. I always liked his voice.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation