FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Mystery Moaimug?
Mystery Moaimug?
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-25 7:56 pm   Permalink

This mug o' mine was damaged a long, long time ago. Yet in all those years since, after seeing many, many collections and posts, I have never come across another one like it...

What is often termed a "Peanut" texture, is actually meant to resemble stone adze markings on wood. The vessel has no identifying inscriptions or stamps, and I have no clue to its age. 70s? 80s?

Anybody out there who has another one like it? Is he in Duke's book, or on Ooga Mooga and I missed it?

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-03-25 22:20 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-26 03:24 am   Permalink

I got nothing to offer except GREAT lighting man! I know it's what you do and you do what you do well!

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-27 06:53 am   Permalink

Great mug, Sven.

I've never run across one of these before. Not in the wild or in a book or on Ooga-Mooga.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-27 07:12 am   Permalink

Hmm. From its feel and look it does look like a mass-produced piece, very Orchids-like, and not a home-made one-off. Amazing that no other like him seems to have surfaced so far. I am glad I kept the relic all these years, it was a casualty of the 1994 Northridge earthquake. I don't remember where I found it originally, probably a thrift store.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wentiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-27 08:25 am   Permalink

Uneven interior edge makes me think homemade... but it could be deceptive from the fracture.

Can you show the inside and bottom please?

View Profile of wentiki Send a personal message to wentiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-27 5:49 pm   Permalink

Sure -but I have seen a lot of mugs in my day, it sure looks like Asian mass produced to me:

It's pretty thin-walled:

He has the weirdest pursed lips...

Who are you?

TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-28 5:48 pm   Permalink

Hey I found it!! It sure looks like these:

What's going on here??

[ This Message was edited by: TabooDan 2009-03-28 17:49 ]

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-28 6:01 pm   Permalink

Close.....NOT!
Hey! I never saw that last glaze version of my mug! I have 4 different ones, but not that one. I need it for my collection!

TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-28 6:48 pm   Permalink

Hey Bigbro, I got the image from Ooga Mooga. I think it was in the collection of "Swizzle". If you do a search for "Sven Kirsten", there are quite a few different glazes.
I also noticed if you click on some of the photos of the mugs that more mugs (not in the intitial 6) can be seen as well. Looks like there is for sure more than 4 colors.

If this link works, this is it:
http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=912

Unfortunately, I missed out on this mug and do not have one.

TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-28 7:41 pm   Permalink

Thanks. Well I have all the GOOD ones. (That blue one is ugly mug, ugh!)
Funny for some reason right now I wish I would have extras left for trade
....but I don't! Ran out of 'em long ago, just like the BOT copies. Darn.

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation