Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Recipe: Coco Lopez Question
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Recipe: Coco Lopez Question
Pineapple Head

Posted: 2009-04-01 3:22 pm   Permalink

This is probably a stupid question, but I don't mind being humiliated online soooo.....

I bought a can of Coco Lopez, opened it up and found that it wasn't all liquid. In fact there was very little liquid in it, other than at the bottom. The majority of the can was a sticky coconut substance. It didn't taste bad or anything, I had just assumed it would be all liquid.

My question is: Is this normal? Is this the type of consistency that can be used for a mixed drink, like a Coconaut?

By the way: I made a drink that I thought was pretty good the other night. I'm a novice, so I really don't know if this is already an actual drink, its based on the Derby Daiquiri. I followed the Derby recipe except instead of o.j., I used passion fruit juice and instead of white rum, I used El Dorado Demerara.

Thanks in advance for replying to my question!

View Profile of Pineapple Head Send a personal message to Pineapple Head      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-01 3:27 pm   Permalink

don't fear the coco lopez!!!

dude...you gotta stir it up because the heavy stuff settles like paint in a can from sitting on the store shelf.....stir it with a spoon till the consisitencey is such that you can measure it out in a shot glass or measuring cup....

..and the coconaut is precisly the drink you should use this for....follow the recipe and use a blender!!! the blender grinds up all the coconaut "chunkies" that might remain after you initially stir it up....and use fresh limes too goddamnit!!

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2009-04-01 15:29 ]

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pineapple Head

Posted: 2009-04-01 6:37 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the advice Tipsy!

View Profile of Pineapple Head Send a personal message to Pineapple Head      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-01 6:57 pm   Permalink

Here's some info from another Coconut Cream thread:

Quote:

On 2009-02-14 15:45, Limbo Lizard wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-02-14 13:13, Haole'akamai wrote:
If it has remained unopened and sits for a long time, it can condense...

Haole'akamai meant "congeal", of course, which is caused mostly by cooler temperatures. Warming it with a hot water bath is the correct solution. Or even in a glass bowl in the microwave (cautiously, stir every 10 secs). If it is still solid after warming - if it won't "melt" - something's wrong with it. Take it back to the estate sale where you bought it.

Oh, and as for that Coco Real, mentioned earlier. I tried it, once. Don't. But if you've already bought it, don't throw it away... judging by the taste, you can use it to refill your liquid soap dispenser.

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-16 8:32 pm   Permalink

A friend of mine was able to get me a couple of cans of Coco Lopez and I was just wondering if anyone can tell me how to store it, and it's shelf life once opened. I know i'd probably only use it for a few drinks in one night and I don't want to have to throw it out(you cant buy it here).

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-17 01:18 am   Permalink

I usually transfer whatever is left into a glass canning jar and I refrigerate it indefinitely.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-09-17 06:40 am   Permalink

I, too, open the Coco Lopez can and dump it into another container. That way you can stir it up and re-mix the coconut oil & solids, and store it in the fridge.

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-18 08:13 am   Permalink

I can't get Coco Lopez up here (I'm pretty sure anyway...). Is there a suitable alternative? Does the Thai canned coconut milk come close?

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mimi808
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-18 2:26 pm   Permalink

Slacks, no coconut milk is not like the Coco Lopez, which has solids (coconut) and is very sweet. It is used for drinks, mainly. Coconut milk is thinner, and not as sweet. Coco Lopez calls theirs Cream of Coconut. Maybe another brand is available, you should ask at the grocery store and the liquor store. Good luck.

View Profile of mimi808 Send a personal message to mimi808      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-19 10:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-18 08:13, Slacks Ferret wrote:
I can't get Coco Lopez up here (I'm pretty sure anyway...). Is there a suitable alternative? Does the Thai canned coconut milk come close?

Can you find Trader Vics CoCo syrup up there? I think the Coco Lopez is good for blended drinks but the coconut syup's work
very well for mixed tropicals,say like a painkiller.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-22 02:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-18 08:13, Slacks Ferret wrote:

I use coconut milk and stir in enough sugar (if you think you're overdoing it, you're on the right track) to get it the consistency of condensed milk. I prefer this to Coco Lopez, myself. (You can sprinkle some dry grated coconut, if you like.)

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-22 03:10 am   Permalink

Jokeiii may be on to something for those of us who can't find Coco Lopez.

I did a little math and came up to 16 teaspoons of sugar in a 13.6 ounce can of coconut milk.

Here's the logic in case you want to check. According to the nutritional label, Coco Lopez contains 5 grams of sugar per ounce, coconut milk contains basically 0. 13.6 ounces of CL would contain 68 grams of sugar - at 4.2 grams per teaspoon that comes to 16.25 teaspoons. This is actually a conservative measure; since 16 teaspoons of sugar added to 13.6 ounces of CM would make more than 13.6 ounces, the sugar content per ounce would be a bit lower than 5 grams

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-23 09:24 am   Permalink

Thanks for all the info folks!

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-23 6:39 pm   Permalink

...to say nothing of no bizarro artificial ingredients.

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kane Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-25 03:47 am   Permalink

I tried using Carnation coconut flavoured evaporated milk in my one and only attempt at a painkiller. Never having tasted lopez before I can't compare the two recipes but I wasn't really impressed by my attempt.

[ This Message was edited by: Kane Tiki 2012-01-25 03:16 ]

View Profile of Kane Tiki Send a personal message to Kane Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation