[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Recipe: Coco Lopez Question
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Recipe: Coco Lopez Question
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-12-21 7:20 pm   Permalink

I found some Coco Real at my Von's* and decided to do a side-by-side with Coco Lopez. I tasted them plain and undiluted, not in a drink

COLOR - Lopez is a little more white, Real slightly off-white
TEXTURE & CONSISTENCY - Lopez is a little thicker, which might be good if you were using it as an ice cream topping not necessarily good if you're trying to mix it into a drink. Real had just a little "grit" in it, like finely ground up coconut.
TASTE - Real had more of a fresh coconut taste. Lopez has 20 gms of sugar per ounce and Real has more at 24 gms but I could not tell a difference in sweetness.

Overall, I like the flavor of Real better plus the convenience of the re-sealable squeeze bottle. Incidentally, Real says it is good without refrigeration for 3 months and longer in the fridge.

*I have also seen it at Lucky's/Albertson's if you don't have a Von's/Safeway, both were in the liquor section.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahuna Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-10-29 11:15 am   Permalink

I just came across Coco Real at Hyland Farms last Saturday, and picked up a couple of bottles. Not having any Coco Lopez up here on the tundra to compare it to, I have to say that it made one of the tastiest pina coladas I've ever had.

View Profile of Kahuna Tiki Send a personal message to Kahuna Tiki  Email Kahuna Tiki Goto the website of Kahuna Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-18 09:03 am   Permalink

Just picked up some coco real but haven't tried it yet. I really dislike Coco Lopez. there is so much sugar in it that I can't taste anything else. Has anyone tried Monin Coconut syrup? Kind curious about it.

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-18 12:06 pm   Permalink

Erik, I use the Monin Coconut syrup in place of Lopez or Real
it is sweet, but has a better coconut flavor for cocktails
with out the chalky sediment etc. just use a little less in your recipes.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-19 09:39 am   Permalink

Thanks, I will try it out!

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-20 03:54 am   Permalink

Good discussion on alternatives to CL.. Personally if I am making a Painkiller, I feel CL is still the best. When blended with Pusser's Rum it has a nice froth on top to sprinkle the nutmeg on and has more of a real coconut taste than the others. I put what's left of the opened can in a small microwaveable container and keep in the fridge. When ready to use again, I nuke it for 30 seconds and stir.

View Profile of Tonga Tiki Send a personal message to Tonga Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-20 07:42 am   Permalink

same here, Tonga.

also, in my experience puerto rican drinks are extra sweet by design, and the pina colada supposedly being a puerto rican invention, it's no surprise that coco lopez is so sweet.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PabTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-05-01 5:55 pm   Permalink

My first experience with both Coco Lopez and Coco Real and coming up soon!

I just ordered both from Amazon, as part of my bold, noble (well, not so much either of those, really) venture into "Tiki Mocktail Makin'!"

It's going to be a headache (or maybe the absence of one), to try and adapt a bunch of Beachbum Berry's recipes to mocktails. In fact, it will be impossible.

But I'm going to report if I find anything that doesn't make me gag.

The good news here is that I haven't actually had any of the real cocktails (being that I quit drinking some years ago, before my tiki adventute began, when all I knew was "Hand Grendades" from my native New Orleans, as well as the occasional Hurricane or Mint Julep, which honestly are a literal and figurative blur).

So as I always say, "Ignorance is my secret weapon!"

My collection of bifwebe | My cruddy music

View Profile of PabTiki Send a personal message to PabTiki  Goto the website of PabTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-01 6:07 pm   Permalink

In case anyone else is curious, here's the ingredients for the two:

Coco Real: Coconut Juice (Pressed Coconut Meat and Water), Sugar, Glycerol, Mono and Diglycerides, Salt, Xanthan Gum, Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid, Locust Bean Gum, Guar Gum, Sorbitan Monosterate, Natural Rosemary Extract, BHA, TBHQ to preserve freshness.

Coco Lopez: Coconut, Sugar, Water, Polysorbate 60, Sorbitan Monostearate, Salt, Propylene Glycol, Alginate, Mono and Diglycerides (Emulsifiers), Citric Acid, Guar Gum, Locust Bean Gum.

Editor's note: Yuck!

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation