FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Vintage Drink Books, Guides, Brochures, Pamphlets, Etc.
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Vintage Drink Books, Guides, Brochures, Pamphlets, Etc.
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-04-02 12:21 pm   Permalink

Ok, I wasn't really sure where I should post these. I decided to post them in this section... here is my theory. I've taken photos of my collection of drink recipe books, guides, etc. I've taken a photo of each cover (plus of few illustrations in the ones that have them). What I'm hoping can take place, is if someone wants to know a recipe in a certain book, they can ask the owner to post it. (Kind of like scanning thru a shelf of books at a book store.) Some of these guides are little pamphlets that came with bottles, some where give-a-ways, some were newspaper ads... all kinds of stuff. I know sometimes people find a weird bottle of liquor and are curious to know what the manufacturers recipes were or maybe their parents drank some screwy brand of liquor back in the day they want to know the recipes that were written for it.

If people aren't into this and feel this should be placed in a different section, that's cool. I just feel this stuff has a useful place somewhere on this site!

Here is my collection.

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-04-02 12:25 pm   Permalink

Here are the rum recipes from the Drinkable Drink book.

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-04-02 1:28 pm   Permalink

WOW! Great stuff! What an enviable collection. Given that collection you could write your own book, "The best of the vintage cocktail recipes."

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-03 7:43 pm   Permalink

...well, such a book does exist, actually:

http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Spirits-Forgotten-Cocktails-Alamagoozlum/dp/1592530680/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238811543&sr=1-2

But this is indeed a most impressive collection, I bet there are some FINE forgotten elixir formulas in there!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-04 4:34 pm   Permalink

I'm just impressed with how much time was spent uploading all these images! Wonderful eye candy!

But can ANYONE tell me what the #$%! purple 151 rum and green passion fruit are??

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-04-04 4:48 pm   Permalink

Wow...amazing collection. My collection is pale in comparison and not very vintage, but this encourages me to scour my fave shopping spots for more books. This is a great idea...THANX

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-04-04 10:50 pm   Permalink

Purple 151 is Ron Rico Purple Label, a 151 proof Puerto Rican rum. Back in the 70s Ron Rico had color coded brands, and Purple Label was their gold 151. I used it in my first Zombie recipe, circa 1977. Yes, I was mixing and inventing hi-test cocktails before my 21st birthday!

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bambú Yoo-hoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-06 12:38 am   Permalink

¡Ay, caramba! Whutta fantastic collection!!

TUVM for sharing!

View Profile of Bambú Yoo-hoo Send a personal message to Bambú Yoo-hoo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-06 04:22 am   Permalink

Wow!! great collection. These vintage recipe books are good fun on a Friday night in the home lounge. Here is a thread with a bunch of pages from my copy of Drinks of Hawaii. Thanks again for posting your collection.
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=24640&forum=10

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2009-04-06 04:23 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-04-06 6:58 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the complements. It's kind of crazy when I think back to how many boxfuls of this kind of stuff I use to have. Back when I sold MCM stuff and vintage barware, these types of things were easy to come by in the late 90s. I use to always stuff a few drink books into the cocktail shakers as freebies when I sold the cocktail shakers. Back in the 90s, you could pretty much guarantee that at least 50% of the estates sales you'd go to would have at least a couple of these.

Ahhh.. the good old days.

Well, here are 3 more I came across in a box of mine.

Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-06 7:53 pm   Permalink

Thanks a lot! Now I gotta start another collection! Great stuff!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mister Naufrago
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-20 03:23 am   Permalink

(1964)Spanish brochure with cocktail recipes made with Coke.
I haven´t tried any of them yet.
I know things go better with it, but...

View Profile of Mister Naufrago Send a personal message to Mister Naufrago  Email Mister Naufrago     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-04-20 5:43 pm   Permalink

Found a couple more.

Barcadi book.

And a drink recipe book that came with it's own background music!

leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-23 5:29 pm   Permalink

I found a triof of books from 1979 today..all giveaways from Benson & Hedges 100's . There was "100 Recipes from 100 of the Greatest Restaurants" and "100 of the World's Greatet Recipes" and then this one : "Drink Recipes from 100 of the Greatest Bars" :

Which has a Trader Vic's page featuring the Scorpion and Pogo Stick:

Glad to see in 1979 TVs was considered one of the greatest bars!

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mister Naufrago
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-11 02:15 am   Permalink

Suppose this belongs to he "etc" category.
It´s an Havana Club promotional 45 with several cocktail recipes.

It has a nice label too.

[ This Message was edited by: Mister Naufrago 2009-06-16 00:50 ]

View Profile of Mister Naufrago Send a personal message to Mister Naufrago  Email Mister Naufrago     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation