FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Bora Bora, Madrid, Spain (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Bora Bora, Madrid, Spain (bar)
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-19 2:26 pm   Permalink

Gracias Croe67, Sabu and GatorRob!
Unga Bunga, No two Bora Bora Tiki bars in Madrid... The video from Youtube is from the Bora Bora in Ibiza, which is more into Chill-out Discoteque than Tiki. If you find a video from the tiki bar, post the link here, it would be cool to watch, but I don't think there's such video.

[ This Message was edited by: Zeta 2010-01-21 05:16 ]

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-19 3:41 pm   Permalink

Nice!

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-01-19 3:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-19 05:19, virani wrote:
you can also check out http://tikieurope.com/ for infos on European tiki bars.
Bora Bora in Madrid is mentionned there.

I wish that site had existed 5 years ago. I mostly found out about Spain (Barcelona only) tiki bars here:
http://www.cityinspace.com

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fez monkey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-20 11:15 pm   Permalink

I managed to drop by Bora-Bora during my extensive tour of tiki Europe in the summer of 2008. What a beautiful place! The bar features custom tiles created by Arte 4 as well as quite a few other elements in the place. (Big Bro knows what I'm talking about.) The water feature under the stairs as you enter is a clever touch and something you should experience for yourself. The only thing that didn't work for me that night was the music. They were playing the Scorpions live in concert. I like the Scorps as much as anyone but it really seemed out of place.

They mix a strong Mai Tai in this place. Of course, like most tiki bars in Spain it's nothing like the Trader Vic's or "Hawaiian style" pineapple-orange one. It's based on guava.

I'd have more photos for you all but the staff reluctantly told me that some Mexican fellow had recently struck a deal with the owner not to let anyone take photos as he wanted exclusives for a book he was working on. It looks like the ban is now off or the staff wasn't wily enough to stop Mr. Naufrago. (Bien hecho muchacho.)
I hope that book is coming soon...

I have a lot more photos of European tiki bars - some fairly unknown to Tiki Central - and I'll try to get them up when I can but there never seems to be enough time.

-fm

View Profile of fez monkey Send a personal message to fez monkey  Email fez monkey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-21 01:44 am   Permalink

Exelente trabajo fez monkey !!! Habla castellano? good review! Very interesting comments. Bora Bora was the first Spanish Melanesian Bar I ever went to. It holds fond memories for me and It will always be one of my favorite tiki bars worldwide. A landmark in the line of what I call "1970's monumental deluxe Spanish-Polynesian." style. A true gem.
Drinking "Escorpion" while listening to "Scorpions" music is perfectly normal in the Spanish Tiki world.
I wonder who that "Mexican fellow" that you talk about is? A ban? An exclusive book deal?!?! Anyone knows what this fez monkey is talking about?! I think now I understand why Mister Naufrago's interior photographs look like he took them furtively with a camera hidden under his hat. JAJA!
You say you have a lot more pictures of European tiki bars? that some are fairly unknown to Tiki Central? Please share amigo!!!

¡Viva Tiki! Zeta is specialized in the research, study and preservation of Tiki culture in Latin countries.

[ This Message was edited by: Zeta 2010-01-21 06:27 ]

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-21 02:08 am   Permalink

Pictures from "Complete Tiki Spain": http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=27562&forum=16
Quote:

On 2008-05-14 09:49, Zeta wrote:
Aloha muchachas y muchachos !

World exclusivo! Para los amigos de Central Tiki, I proudly present:

This enormous Vintage Menu from the 70's with covers in leather and elegant golden print
from the first and only Melanesian Bar ever.(Now extinct)

I thought Bora-Bora was in the Polynesia!... Oh well, you live, you learn.

Adios amigos !

Z

P.S. Saludos al Sr. Castaway

Mister Naufrago
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-21 05:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-20 23:15, fez monkey wrote:
I managed to drop by Bora-Bora during my extensive tour of tiki Europe in the summer of 2008. What a beautiful place! The bar features custom tiles created by Arte 4 as well as quite a few other elements in the place. (Big Bro knows what I'm talking about.) The water feature under the stairs as you enter is a clever touch and something you should experience for yourself. The only thing that didn't work for me that night was the music. They were playing the Scorpions live in concert. I like the Scorps as much as anyone but it really seemed out of place.

They mix a strong Mai Tai in this place. Of course, like most tiki bars in Spain it's nothing like the Trader Vic's or "Hawaiian style" pineapple-orange one. It's based on guava.

I'd have more photos for you all but the staff reluctantly told me that some Mexican fellow had recently struck a deal with the owner not to let anyone take photos as he wanted exclusives for a book he was working on. It looks like the ban is now off or the staff wasn't wily enough to stop Mr. Naufrago. (Bien hecho muchacho.)
I hope that book is coming soon...

I have a lot more photos of European tiki bars - some fairly unknown to Tiki Central - and I'll try to get them up when I can but there never seems to be enough time.

-fm

I´m sorry Fez Monkey.
Tremenda chingada!/what a grief!
It´s no easy dealing with that mexican guy. Está muy loco (by now you sure know this), but to know him it´s to love him (I suppose so).

My images probably are pre-ban or the rule doesn´t apply to locals or old patrons.
Nevertheless, There´s an old spanish proverb:
No puedes poner puertas al campo(there ain´t no use in trying to place doors on an open field/ you can´t stem the tide), so probably Bora Bora is not taboo anymore, but call me next time when in Madrid, just in case…

quote]
On 2010-01-21 01:44, Zeta wrote:

I wonder who that "Mexican fellow" that you talk about is? A ban? An exclusive book deal?!?! Anyone knows what this fez monkey is talking about?!:) I think now I understand why Mister Naufrago's interior photographs look like he took them furtively with a camera hidden under his hat. JAJA!
You say you have a lot more pictures of European tiki bars? that some are fairly unknown to Tiki Central? Please share amigo!!!

[ This Message was edited by: Zeta 2010-01-21 01:47 ]
[/quote]

I was trying to make moody pictures
I´m afraid I need some practice.

View Profile of Mister Naufrago Send a personal message to Mister Naufrago  Email Mister Naufrago     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-21 05:58 am   Permalink

Gracias Mister Naufrago! You know I love you too... Only you understand my sick hunger for Spanish Tiki art.
Your pictures are cool, now I get what you mean by "mood"... You mean you where drunk, right?

Bora Bora Melanesian Bar Madrid

Menu cover.

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-21 06:11 am   Permalink

Rare vintage die cut version of the menu. A gift from the owner Jose.

Bora Bora Madrid Spain

Mister Naufrago, show them the plant pot from the entrance!

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-21 09:40 am   Permalink

Well I'll be...he gave me one of those, too! And he told me about some older gentleman who used to work there who supposedly has a large collection of stuff from the early days. Zeta, I trust you made contact? If not, please do, one never knows when these veterans kick the bucket.

Damn, I can't wait to get down there with some lights and a tripod and a camera...to carve out the true glory of this place! (No offense, Mister N.)

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fez monkey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-21 7:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-21 01:44, Zeta wrote:
Exelente trabajo fez monkey !!! Habla castellano?

Mas o menos. Nací en Mallorca pero vivo en los EEUU. Aún tengo mucha familia en España. (Ellos prefieren decir Cataluña. )

I'll see what I can do about getting some more photos up. I typically work 60+ hours a week so it's challenging to keep up with everything else but I always have the intent of sharing them and I often go far out of my way to visit tiki destinations so I figure others who can't make it can share in the feeling.

I've added some sexy photos of a couple of Arte 4 pieces. I love that appetizer server. It looks better in person. These are not at Bora-Bora but somewhere in Spain not too far away and I hope they stay there a long time. I sure hope that mysterious Mexican fellow can put together a history of Arte 4 and how that trickled down to the modern Porcelanas Pavón for everyone to enjoy.

Cheers,
- fm

View Profile of fez monkey Send a personal message to fez monkey  Email fez monkey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-21 10:34 pm   Permalink

These are actually not Tiki ceramics. They are Japanese Manga monsters, ca 1969, made from cheap chalkware.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fez monkey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-22 12:08 am   Permalink

Are you serious? Dang! That's not what I was told by the barman.
They sure seem to match the style of the tiki mugs in the place. They are no longer in use but kept on display.

Tikinomad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-05 7:08 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Tikinomad 2010-03-06 06:29 ]

View Profile of Tikinomad Send a personal message to Tikinomad  Email Tikinomad Goto the website of Tikinomad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-12 11:18 am   Permalink

I really wish I saw what Tikinomad posted and then erased... And why he did that... This is one intriguing thread isn't it?

coaster

for trade

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation