FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Taking a Caning Class @ The Caning Shop (Berkeley, CA)
Taking a Caning Class @ The Caning Shop (Berkeley, CA)
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-08 2:25 pm   Permalink

http://www.caningshop.com/html/csclasses2009a/chaircaning.html

Had my first lesson last night. You have to bring your own chair. I got one off Craigslist for free (actually it was four, three of which had broken seats).

The Caning Shop is really fantastic. The owner has written something like a dozen books on repairing rattan and caning, as well as how to make Hawaiian Ribbon Leis and gourd musical instruments and vessels. It was really really GREAT!

Turns out there are two kinds of caned seats: Machined and hand-caned. My chair was machined (guess why they were so cheap?). Learned to fix it with about $8 of materials.

Found a hand-caned chair today at a second hand shop for $5. I'm going to learn to recane it next Tuesday.

Yippee!

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-04-08 2:41 pm   Permalink

Is that the caning like they do to you in Singapore if you throw a cig butt on the ground?

Sounds like fun, you'll be making your own custom peacock chairs in no time!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tacky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-10 9:06 pm   Permalink

The Caning Shop is AWESOME!!! I took a gourd drum class there. I loved that place while I was in Albany. Take any/all classes you can! They really know their stuff and they are a great resource for suppplies!!

Tacky

View Profile of Tacky Tiki Send a personal message to Tacky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation