FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Tiki Drinks and Food Ľ Ľ Manual Ice Crushers
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
Manual Ice Crushers
jj69

Posted: 8 days ago; 08:07 am   Permalink

I'm kind of surprised no one here has experience with the Amazon model I linked above. Was hoping for some tiki enthusiast feedback.

View Profile of jj69 Send a personal message to jj69      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 8 days ago; 08:56 am   Permalink

That IS the machine I have at my bar, but I have the earlier version, with the Waring name plate. I believe I posted my thoughts elsewhere a year or so back. But in a nutshell:

1) VERY quiet.
2) Decent sized crushed ice container for about 4 or 5 drinks. Less if you're shaking/straining with crushed ice and then also filling the drinkware with crushed ice. Making crushed ice can be a considerable chore no matter how you do it.
3) If you feed it too quickly, the hopper and throat tends to clog with ice when using the typical crescent-shaped ice from home fridges. If the cubes freeze together in the hopper, can take a bit of work to clear out. So I try to use different cube sizes and shapes.

Overall it works very well as long as you don't overfeed it, but that's typical for any crusher. (Except, maybe, for a giant Lewis Bag run over by a 4WD pickup.)

I bought at half-price a dented (at the rear where you don't see it) 50-60lb capacity Kitchenaid ice maker but haven't plumbed a water line to it yet. The Kitchenaid would solve many of my ice problems AND give me smaller and clearer cubes to feed into my crusher. Or in some cases the Kitchenaid cube size is small enough to eliminate the need for truly "crushed" ice, so I'm hoping for big convenience and time savings there. Really need to get the water line fished down the wall soon, but my attic is so hot this time of year...

Hope that helps.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 8 days ago; 11:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-06-12 08:07, jj69 wrote:
I'm kind of surprised no one here has experience with the Amazon model I linked above. Was hoping for some tiki enthusiast feedback.

That thing is over a hundred bucks after shipping.
The reviews online about it are not great.

Sooo buy like 10 vintage Oster "Snowflake" ice crushers for that price or 5 of those bag things.

Heck if you want the Waring Pro ice crusher like the Amazon one get it off eBay or etsy.
An ice crusher is one of those things that most people just don't use that much.

If you get a bad one you will lose like 10, 20 bucks.
Just don't buy a used one from a tiki nut, or AceExplorer as it will have been used a lot.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 8 days ago; 11:16 am   Permalink

Here are three on eBay right now, that Vintage Waring Electric Ice Crusher even looks cool.
These are all about $20.00 bucks to your door ship and all.
Damn the more people talk about being green and cutting waste the more it looks like they just want new shiny stuff.

Vintage Waring Electric Ice Crusher Model I004 Works Great
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Waring-Electric-Ice-Crusher-Model-I004-Works-Great/163076358425?hash=item25f81bc119:g:tG0AAOSw-YZa708W

VINTAGE Magic Hostess ice crusher model 5810A works great
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-Magic-Hostess-ice-crusher-model-5810A-works-great/332681935514?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D52569%26meid%3D7c28e27e3ef5438a89ebe74686016b47%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D163076358425%26itm%3D332681935514&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Vintage Oster Ice Crusher 564A Almond Beige with Ice Tray
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Oster-Ice-Crusher-564A-Almond-Beige-with-Ice-Tray/263716504411?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D52569%26meid%3Da1495408d9a94a91ad7ef90ecf736198%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D163076358425%26itm%3D263716504411&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 8 days ago; 11:30 am   Permalink

PLUS the Vintage Waring Electric Ice Crusher Model I004, has a 360 watt motor as the Waring Pro IC70 Professional ice crusher you listed has a 150 watt motor.
The Snow flakers have a 75 watt motor.

Here is a review of the Waring Pro IC70 Professional ice crusher that says it all to me.

"I don't really HATE this unit -- it works great...until the design defect gets you. It WILL happen to you if you use it regularly with ice cubes any larger than tiny. It crushes fine, until one day when the BUILT-IN OBSOLESCENCE kicks in. One of the flimsy nylon spacers between the teeth will give way, and your nice looking otherwise-fine crusher will be of NO USE anymore.

You might get a year, maybe even two years, but it WILL happen. All those good reviews here either don't use it much or only use it with tiny cubes. Read all of the "1" and "2" reviews to see how common this problem is. It's as if Waring intentionally wants to make sure that you buy another one every year or two."

AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 8 days ago; 11:43 am   Permalink

I bought mine used, and cheap.

What home machine is intended to crush huge cubes? I dunno. Cube size is an issue as I stated earlier.

I donít use mine very often, so Iíve not run into the spacers wearing out - yet. But I do plan on having my big ice maker running in the future.

Skip is right - buy it used and have fun with it.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 8 days ago; 1:33 pm   Permalink

"What home machine is intended to crush huge cubes?"

The Snoflaker does ok with em.
BUT you are right, so buy a cheap one burn it up and toss it.

jj69

Posted: 8 days ago; 4:53 pm   Permalink

Thanks for all the info. I was initially weary of buying used because I read some posts here where people had various problems like finding their ice stained with rust, or strange odors coming from the machine.

Most of the really "vintage" electric crushers out there like the Waring I004 suggested above appear rusty on the outside, and those listing that include a good photo of the blades inside appear to have some really funky looking yellow buildup on them.

Does anyone have experience with the Waring 11CR10 model? It appears to be a later 70s or 80s model manufactured in Japan. There are quite a few of these on eBay, some nearly new with original box and manuals, for example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-NICE-IN-BOX-Waring-Electric-Ice-Crusher-Model-11CR10-Kitchen-Tool/263590311901?hash=item3d5f34f7dd:g:04wAAOSwe1xavV~e

Just wondering if these are any good?

View Profile of jj69 Send a personal message to jj69      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 8 days ago; 5:26 pm   Permalink

I love the little Oster Sno Flakes. They're compact and cut nice sized pieces. Most have settings for "course" or "fine," so it could also give you shaved ice. I've gone through several of them, usually getting a good year or two of regular use out of them before they crap out, then picking up another one for around 20 bucks.

Last year I finally decided to go bigger and found a Waring Pro IC70 on Craigslist for $60. As Ace said, you gotta not over-jam the thing or it stops working. I honestly thought the thing was a dud the first time I used it til I got the hang of how to feed it. The plastic bin holds right around the amount of ice the tray in my freezer produces each day. What I typically do is crush that amount, put it all in a gallon sized freezer bag, and stick the crushed ice back in the freezer. It's typically enough ice to get me through my week of drinking unless we're entertaining, then I'll do a bag each day leading up to it. When it's cocktail time, I just pull the freezer bag out, the ice will have solidified a little, so I just whack it with the ice scoop and it breaks back up into perfect sized pieces. Scoop out what I need, then put it back in the freezer for tomorrow, or round two.

I used to break out the Oster every time I was making drinks, for years, until this method finally dawned on me. Crushed ice always at the ready. It's certainly life changing. You're welcome.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 8 days ago; 6:56 pm   Permalink

Mike, thatís really an awesome methodology. Cheers to you and the missus!

Hamo
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 8 days ago; 10:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-06-12 07:29, Quince_at_Dannys wrote:
Go get yourselves a mallet and Lewis Bag.

I concur with Quince; after limping along for a while with a cloth napkin and rubber mallet, I finally got the Schmallet set from Cocktail Kingdom and regret not doing so much sooner. In addition to the aforementioned benefits, itís mighty satisfying to smash ice by hand with a large wooden mallet. I use a cutting board under the Lewis bag to help absorb the shock of each blow.

Plus, one can still ďbatchĒ crushed ice like Mike suggests; thatís what the bartenders at
Hidden Idol in Denver do.

View Profile of Hamo Send a personal message to Hamo  Goto the website of Hamo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
robojoe

Posted: 7 days ago; 05:41 am   Permalink

I also prefer the lewis bag method over mechanical ice crushers. However, I found a better alternative to Cocktail Kingdom's Schmallet. I think the Schmallet's face is too small and the whole thing too light. Instead, I found the most amazing mallet at Japanesewoodworker.com. It is amazing and makes quick work of a bag of ice. Of course it costs more, but there is no price too high for great ice!

https://www.japanwoodworker.com/products/90mm-katate-kakeya

View Profile of robojoe Send a personal message to robojoe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 7 days ago; 06:23 am   Permalink

Very cool, great tip, robojoe!

AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 7 days ago; 06:23 am   Permalink

Very cool, great tip, robojoe!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation