FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Manual Ice Crushers
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Manual Ice Crushers
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-13 11:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-04-13 11:40, Carpathia wrote:
Is there a difference between an ice crusher and an ice shaver?

Shave ice is a lot finer (think sno-cones). The old ice shavers worked like a hand plane on a big block of ice. I hope that helps.

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sparkle Mark
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-13 8:44 pm   Permalink

I know it's not manual or very pretty BUT, man does it crush ice.
I usually crush up a batch and store it in an ice bucket at the bar and I'm set for crushed ice.
If I want slightly finer crushed ice I send it through twice.

Plus, I got it for a bargain at Bevmo since someone had thrown away the box and it was the last one. (60% off)
Not flimsy in the least, and almost 1 year of service so far.
I can't say that for ANY of my citrus juicers yet, but my vintage Proctor Silex "Juice-It" is getting close.

Best
Mark

View Profile of Sparkle Mark Send a personal message to Sparkle Mark  Goto the website of Sparkle Mark     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-13 9:39 pm   Permalink

I love the idea of the above electric crusher.

When my fridge crusher isn't hooked up(like right now while we're doing renos) I use this fabulous vintage looking Ice-O-Mat by Metrokane. It was a wedding gift, and I'm very happy with it.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-14 04:44 am   Permalink

I went with a vintage wall mount SWING-A-WAY crusher. Three bucks at the thrift store and couldn't be happier. Flip the chrome lid fill with ice and turn the crank one way for course crush or the other for finer crush. Crushed ice falls into the removable plastic cup on the bottom and just dump into your glass or shaker. If you are having a ton of people over you may want something bigger but for everyday use this is perfect. I have used this one for four years and have crushed tons of ice and have never had a problem. Super easy to use and clean and looks great as well.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2009-04-14 05:22 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sputnikmoss
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-14 10:09 am   Permalink

Uncle Trav I have the same on in my kitchen..but it's the Sears version "Maid-of-Honor" I love it!

[ This Message was edited by: sputnikmoss 2009-04-14 10:11 ]

View Profile of sputnikmoss Send a personal message to sputnikmoss  Email sputnikmoss Goto the website of sputnikmoss     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Finleyville
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-09-09 6:35 pm   Permalink

Hey Sparkle Mart,

Who makes that electric crusher? I am looking for an electric one too and may be going with this Deni Automatic one.

Has any one used a Deni crusher? If so, how small were the ice parts? I do not want them too small.

View Profile of Finleyville Send a personal message to Finleyville      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-09 7:18 pm   Permalink

thought I should share mine

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aloha.taboo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-09 7:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-09 18:35, Finleyville wrote:

Has any one used a Deni crusher? If so, how small were the ice parts? I do not want them too small.

I've been using one for the last couple of months and haven't had any problems. I would say the ice is somewhere between crushed and shaved.

View Profile of aloha.taboo Send a personal message to aloha.taboo  Email aloha.taboo Goto the website of aloha.taboo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-09-10 06:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

I have a Deni and give it a "meh" rating. It does a fine job crushing ice, but it takes a while to crush a cup's worth (and that's using cocktail ice, not solid ice cubes). The ice comes out about pea gravel-sized...much closer to shaved ice than to the crushed ice you get at a bar.

For me, using the old hand-cranked Swing-O-Matic is quicker and gives me better crushed ice. I do use the Deni to make ice for ice molds.

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-10 07:13 am   Permalink

I'll second that Waring Pro crusher. It's awesome! I actually have an Oster Snowflake, myself, which I like a lot. It's smaller, but noisier, but it's vintage. If you can find one of them, go for it!

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Finleyville
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-09-16 09:01 am   Permalink

What sized crushed ice does the Waring Pro make? I am looking for crushed ice the size of 1/2 to 1/3 of a normal cube. Sort of the size if you would use a hammer on each cube. (That is what I am using right now. lol) Which manual would give that size?

View Profile of Finleyville Send a personal message to Finleyville      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shaun of theTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-16 09:48 am   Permalink

I tend to crush ice the truly "manual" way: Place the ice in a zip-lock bag and smash the ice with the back of a large metal spoon on a concrete ground. That technique can give you a cup of crushed ice in less than a minute.

View Profile of Shaun of theTiki Send a personal message to Shaun of theTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Klas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-16 11:39 am   Permalink

I use one called Groggy from IKEA. Inexpensive, looks pretty cool and does a good job. Quite noisy though.

www.thesurfites.com

View Profile of Klas Send a personal message to Klas  Goto the website of Klas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-16 4:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-10 07:13, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:
I'll second that Waring Pro crusher. It's awesome! I actually have an Oster Snowflake, myself, which I like a lot. It's smaller, but noisier, but it's vintage. If you can find one of them, go for it!

Tim,

I have both the Waring and the vintage Oster. The Waring unfortunately just died after just over a year of use. It seems fixable to me, but it would probably cost as much to fix it as buy a new one. I was very happy with it until it just refused to crush ice anymore. Beware of internal plastic parts!

The Oster continues to do its thing, but it does get clogged often and needs some encouragement (by way of a knife to the stuck ice) to get the job done.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
toofastjim
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-11 8:16 pm   Permalink

I just picked up the Waring Pro mentioned earlier (matches the WP blender) - this thing is great - easisly shaves 4 minutes off drink prepatation. I still have my manual one (mentioned earlier in the thread), but this is will be the go-to crusher till further notice. Plus, the snooty cooking store in the mall (mentioned in my earlier post) had it @ 20% off for clearance, so I got it for under $60. For multiple drinks (and/or drinkers), this will be a dependable time-saver.

View Profile of toofastjim Send a personal message to toofastjim  Goto the website of toofastjim     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation