FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Manual Ice Crushers
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Manual Ice Crushers
conchchowder
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-03 5:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-10 07:13, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:
I'll second that Waring Pro crusher. It's awesome! I actually have an Oster Snowflake, myself, which I like a lot. It's smaller, but noisier, but it's vintage. If you can find one of them, go for it!

The Snoflake is my crusher of choice. At a party, manual crushing is appreciated, but you reallyneed to be considerate to your guests. If you can only crank out a few drinks, your hosting suffers. Using a retro electric crusher still has the wow effect (the Snowflake makes great crushed ice) and you are able to take care of your guests where it counts more...quality of the mix, and you being less rushed.

Say hello to my little friend.

View Profile of conchchowder Send a personal message to conchchowder      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-27 12:22 am   Permalink

I have an old manual crusher that has a damn scary set of blades inside. Every time I use it I think of what happened to William Devane's hand in "Rolling Thunder". I love it but I'm worried about it rusting. Any advice in regards on how to keep it in shape?

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amybean
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-08-27 07:20 am   Permalink

I just got one off eBay myself and thought about that too (the rusting). I let the two parts each air dry, and leave the lid open. It seems to be fine.

Don't think about the fingers!

View Profile of amybean Send a personal message to amybean  Email amybean Goto the website of amybean     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-28 1:48 pm   Permalink

I love the crusher, I just think it looks EVIL.

When I was a kid, this was the kind of thing I would have used to torture my GI JOES. It's probably a good thing I wasn't allowed in the kitchen.

[ This Message was edited by: ErkNoLikeFire 2010-08-28 13:50 ]

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
phinz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-28 8:34 pm   Permalink

I was given an avocado green Oster Imperial a year or so ago. Haven't used it yet, but may drag it out for the big New Year's party. We tend to just buy ice at Sonic, since their ice just plain rocks for tiki drinks.

traderscotts.com

View Profile of phinz Send a personal message to phinz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-25 11:47 pm   Permalink

I just picked up this vintage Swing-A-Way ice crusher.

It has a little bit of rust and I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion or two on how to deal with that. I was also wondering if anyone that has a similar model could post a picture or two of the wall mounting bracket so that I could get a good look at it and make one.

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP

Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-26 04:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-08-28 13:48, ErkNoLikeFire wrote:
I love the crusher, I just think it looks EVIL.

This is what I have and it's brilliant.

When I was a kid, this was the kind of thing I would have used to torture my GI JOES. It's probably a good thing I wasn't allowed in the kitchen.

[ This Message was edited by: ErkNoLikeFire 2010-08-28 13:50 ]

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TorchGuy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-03 05:55 am   Permalink

Ice shavers make snow. Which is very, very fine. Think of a snow cone. Too fine for drinks.

And yes, the way to really wow guests is a canvas Lewis bag and a big wooden mallet. The former are sold online, and for the latter, go to a woodworking store and buy a joiner's mallet, they're big and hefty things. Imagine a wooden meat tenderizer on steroids.

Check YouTube for a video of New Orleans' Best Cocktails: Mint Julep. Wonderful video, with some amazing old prose about the drink, but the tender shows how to crush ice with a bag and mallet. Guests will be wowed.

View Profile of TorchGuy Send a personal message to TorchGuy  Email TorchGuy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sparkle Mark
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-05 02:07 am   Permalink

3 years of heavy service and still crushing ice by simply dropping it in...

Best
Mark

View Profile of Sparkle Mark Send a personal message to Sparkle Mark  Goto the website of Sparkle Mark     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-05 04:44 am   Permalink

That is what I use. It continues to work great, although I do have a hand crank backup in case of a hurricane.

View Profile of Tonga Tiki Send a personal message to Tonga Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-05 05:06 am   Permalink

Is that the Waring?

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-06 06:51 am   Permalink

Yes, that is the Waring

View Profile of Tonga Tiki Send a personal message to Tonga Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-06 08:39 am   Permalink

I want one!

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-06 11:49 am   Permalink

I think I got mine at Williams Sonoma

TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-07 09:37 am   Permalink

This is how to get it done:

http://gizmodo.com/5836827/a-boat-motor-that-blends-a-fine-cocktail

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation