FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Manual Ice Crushers
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
Manual Ice Crushers
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-07 2:07 pm   Permalink

Manual ice crushers were good enough for your grandmother, but who wants to marry your grandmother? Nobody, not even your grandfather.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-10 12:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-09-06 06:51, Tonga Tiki wrote:
Yes, that is the Waring

Just bought one. Will try it out tonight.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RyanTheTerrible
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-06-20 12:56 pm   Permalink

I bought an Oster Sno-flake off ebay and it crushes ice like a beast, but the ice smells funny and I can't see to get it to go away no matter what I do. Anyone have any tips?

View Profile of RyanTheTerrible Send a personal message to RyanTheTerrible      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-20 1:57 pm   Permalink

Thanks for joining TC, nice first post!

Tell us more about your ice. Ice made from tap water made at home? From bagged ice from a store? Also, what is the condition of your crusher -- new-ish and clean vintage, or has it been around the block and corroded here-and-there?

I have a couple new vintage Oster crushers which attach to my blender base and I never have had flavor problems. Usually the ice is so hard that it is an effective cleaning agent for your crusher if you run a few trays of ice through it.

Again, glad to have you here on TC! I think you'll enjoy it and will learn a lot.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RyanTheTerrible
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-06-20 2:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-20 13:57, AceExplorer wrote:
Thanks for joining TC, nice first post!

Tell us more about your ice. Ice made from tap water made at home? From bagged ice from a store? Also, what is the condition of your crusher -- new-ish and clean vintage, or has it been around the block and corroded here-and-there?

I have a couple new vintage Oster crushers which attach to my blender base and I never have had flavor problems. Usually the ice is so hard that it is an effective cleaning agent for your crusher if you run a few trays of ice through it.

Again, glad to have you here on TC! I think you'll enjoy it and will learn a lot.

Thanks Ace, excited to be here!

It is ice from the tap, and the crusher came in clean vintage, no visible signs of wear. I'll just keep putting a few trays through it and hope that it works! Thanks for the tip.

View Profile of RyanTheTerrible Send a personal message to RyanTheTerrible      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-20 2:49 pm   Permalink

If you smell the ice crusher itself, does it smell funny? What about the ice?

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-20 3:06 pm   Permalink

I use a Waring Pro ice crusher for my general ice crushing and a vintage Oster "Snowflake" left over from the 1960' for my super-fine snow-like crushed ice. I have also removed the ice maker from my freezer to make more room and only use 20Lb bags of store-bought crystal clear ice. I have a separate chest freezer that I use to keep about 80 pounds of ice. I never liked the cloudy cubes the ice maker in a home freezer makes - I like the crystal clear. One of these days I'll buy a stand alone Ice maker that makes those clear cubes . . . one of these days.
By the way I still have two Lewis Bag ice crushing thingies but the mini baseball bat thing is so beaten up that I've replaced it with a nylon muddler . . . works just as well. I only use the Lewis bag for show. . . or exercise.

RyanTheTerrible: Try making some ice cubes with baking soda in them and run them through your Snowflake. That should clear up the smell and funny taste.

GENT

[ This Message was edited by: GentleHangman 2014-06-20 15:08 ]

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-20 3:16 pm   Permalink

Well, if you don't mind the little extra work you might just start making coolers of clear ice.

Anyway, smelly ice crusher... what kind of smell does it have? It could be that you need to clean inside the crusher (not sure if you can) as trapped water has made it musty smelling, or your ice just has a weird smell from the water and the larger surface area makes it smell.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RyanTheTerrible
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-06-20 3:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-20 14:49, TikiTacky wrote:
If you smell the ice crusher itself, does it smell funny? What about the ice?

It does! I used some vinegar and it lessened.

Gentleman, trying the baking powder!

GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-20 5:59 pm   Permalink

No! Baking soda!

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-21 09:23 am   Permalink

Hmmmm... Sounds like your ice crusher is actually clean, would you agree? If not, I would definitely try the baking soda suggestion, then possibly a rinse in hydrogen peroxide, and finally try a weak solution of 1:20 bleach for about 5 minutes. After each of these, dry thoroughly.

I can't remember if your ice crusher is all metal, but you could also heat it slowly and carefully to about 150-180F degrees ("F" for the benefit of our metric readers, ha) which would also kill any living organisms. Be careful if you use heat - you don't want to ruin any greased or oiled bearings - so think that option through before you start and then find you've done something bad to the lube in the device. So don't heat it unless you can also easily restore lubrication.

So there ya go - I said "lubrication" in a tiki thread! hahahaha...

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation