FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Mug collectors beware!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Mug collectors beware!
Traderval
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-04-02 04:36 am   Permalink

This sounds too absurd to be true. How can Trader Vic's sue people who revive their dusty establishment again after so many years of sleepy existence. Absolutely shocking!!!
But they might be interested to know that some Trader's do sell their mugs to customers. The Cairo Sheraton Trader Vic's does sell quite openly mugs for a good bakshish. I bought a Tiki bowl and a coconut there. The salt shakers followed somehow, I don't quite recall how.
But I also think that this Ebay craze has gone a bit over the top and I understand them being pissed off. I suggest we all go back to trading mugs without money changing hands. Like that they can't sue you. And don't start smashing your mugs for God's sake!

View Profile of Traderval Send a personal message to Traderval  Email Traderval     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-02 10:46 am   Permalink

I am not sure about the statute of limitations on such crimes. We really didn't cover specific things like that in law school. However, when the owner receives notice of the larceny can be a probative issue. I now DA's in my area do NOT look kindly at restaurant theives.

Take some advice from Mr. T on this matter:

"Don't be no fool, only purchase vintage Tiki mugs from authorized dealers."

Wise words T, wise words indeed.

Buy these mugs, stay out of jail!

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-02 1:10 pm   Permalink

Does everyone know this is an April Fool's joke. yet.

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-02 2:07 pm   Permalink

It's not a joke, I read about it on the internet.

These restaurants lose all kinds of money from these thefts. It's about time they all did something about it, too. I support their efforts to recoup some of their losses.

The real victims are legitimate vintage mug dealers. The little guy is getting hurt, all because the larcenous ne'er do wells out there. It's not right, it needs to stop!

midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-03 12:09 am   Permalink

That account ain't been closed. http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&include=0&userid=cycluracyclura&sort=3&rows=25&since=-1&rd=1

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-03 06:26 am   Permalink

they can take away my tiki mugs when they prize them from my cold dead hands:lol:

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-03 12:10 pm   Permalink

midnite - the Mr. T quote was the best part of this thread (lmao) with Sabu's first posting a close second. Nice job Sabu, I think you really raised a few eyebrows out there, it just took a while for some to figure it out.

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-03 12:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

atomictonytiki wrote:
they can take away my tiki mugs when they pry them from my cold dead hands

Yes, I concur! After several hours of serious reflection, and several serious cocktails, I have reversed my position on this matter. I believe it is our right as a nation, a right given to us by God (Lono?), to possess any and all Tiki mugs.

While the right to bear Tiki mugs is not specifically covered in the US Constitution, it can be incorporated within the controlling language of the 14th amendment (pursuit of happiness, due process, privacy and such). Now, how I know this is unclear, I barely passed Con Law (actually never took the book out of its wrapping), but I belive it is sound jurispudence. I also believe we
can extend these rights to foreign Tiki nationals, under the Mann Act. Ok, the Mann Act has absolutely nothing to do with extension of Constitutonal rights per se, but it does involve the transportation of underage females across state lines for immoral purposes. So there's a connection there someplace, at least tangentially, mataphorically speaking.

Thus, I propose the founding of a grass-roots, grass like mow the lawn, not "dude, any more Fritos?" grass, foundation to protect these rights. This foundation will strive, through lobbying and drinking...ok, mostly drinking, to maintain our god-given (see above, Lono) right to possess and enjoy Tiki mugs, no matter what color, creed, nationality, or whether snuck out of the restaurant in your pants (see Mann Act). I envision the NTA (National Tiki Asscociation) as the ideal body to empower and protect those rights in perpetuity, or until we run out of rum.

Fight the power, feed the people, more skin on "Love Boat"...and Tiki mugs for all!

Get involved, make a difference, bid on a mug. The life you save may be yours. If we can save one child this will all be worthwhile.

Tiki Mugs for the People, by the People

midnite

PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-03 1:23 pm   Permalink

Midnite, that was beautiful man.....

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-03 4:49 pm   Permalink

Midnite... You've changed my life.
Mahalo.

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-04 05:21 am   Permalink

Wow, I didn't think anyone could get past the first paragraph without smelling a rat.
Well done Sabu for grabbing the ball and running with it and Midnite for making me glad to be an American. Whoops, I'm English.

Gecko, sorry to get you like that but you can be sure after your spirited defence, nobody in authority is going anywhere near your mugs!

Trader Woody
Ok, no fake scare stories for another year.

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-04 11:44 am   Permalink

Woody,

I didn't catch on till the second read-thru. By that time, I realized that your fake news story was very beneficial at raising one's blood-pressure. I needed to join in the fun.

Thanks also to Laney for playing along as well and pulling a good gullible. She fooled Poly Pop the other way.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation