FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Castaways, Miami Beach, Miami Beach, FL (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
The Castaways, Miami Beach, Miami Beach, FL (restaurant)
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-10 05:01 am   Permalink

Name:The Castaways, Miami Beach
Type:restaurant
Street:16375 Collins Ave.
City:Miami Beach
State:FL
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
I picked this card up a while back. This is the earliest Castaways image I have seen. Dated 1956. This maybe the original incarnation before it became a major resort complex. Question is did the Castaways ever have any Tiki decor at all during it's run or was it the typical tropical style resort. The card image obviously predates classic poly-pop but is a great image. Thanks

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2009-04-10 05:07 ]

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2009-04-10 05:08 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-10 05:08 am   Permalink

I believe castaways was always asian in theme..... i was actually there once with my family. The designers borrowed from poly pop which was bigat the time but i think they wanted to go in a new direction while still catering to the popular trend of the time.....those roof lines are very reminisent of tiki but asian was the theme throughout....

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2009-04-10 05:10 ]

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-10 05:19 am   Permalink

Thanks for the info Tipsy. The Castaways is listed in both Critiki and TRT but not much out there about the place other than a mention on a couple of websites. One has some history and a few pictures from late in it's run. Thanks again.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-10 08:03 am   Permalink

The Castaways predominantly Japanese/Asian in theme (The Shinto Room was the main restaurant), but there was also a Tahitian Cocktail Lounge (sometimes called the Tahitian Bar) at The Castaways. Here's an old newspaper article that gives a pretty good description:

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - Feb 8, 1961 in Google

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-10 08:35 am   Permalink

Here is a postcard of the famous Stanley the Entertainer from the Tahitian Bar at the Castaways.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-10 10:22 am   Permalink

Great info about him in the article! Where is Stanley Klim now? And where can I get some of those Mai Tai tumblers with his portrait on them? And all the names of those other Motels!: Thunderbird, Aztec, Surfside Six, Carib, Driftwood and The Dunes...where is my time machine!?

Besides the great night exterior on page 258 of Tiki Modern, this shot from "MiMo-Miami Modern" gives a great sense of the whole complex:

Trav, your postcard must show the original part of the place, across the street from this island part.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-04-10 10:25 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-10 10:57 am   Permalink

Thanks for all of the input. I used to live down in Southern Florida. I wish I could have done some more digging around back then.

tiki leki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-04-11 05:58 am   Permalink

I love the high dive diving board, you don't see those anymore in our lawsuit crazy world.

View Profile of tiki leki Send a personal message to tiki leki  Email tiki leki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-11 3:46 pm   Permalink

Nice.
What is in that location now?

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-11 3:53 pm   Permalink

Massive condominium towers.

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
icebaer69
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-11 11:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-04-11 15:53, Humuhumu wrote:
Massive condominium towers.

its unbelievable how many beautiful old hotels/motels were destroyed
in the miamibeach-area to make way for that condo-crap -
due to creditcrunch a lot of this stuff unsold/empty now ...

picture:
our last years rental car at the beautiful (former) sahara-hotel
(now apartments) -
background: fucking boring ugly condominium-crap creeping closer and eating everything

... but there are still some amazing old places with beautiful neons around !
thank god that due to the recession nobody touches them at the moment ...

[ This Message was edited by: icebaer69 2009-04-12 00:00 ]

View Profile of icebaer69 Send a personal message to icebaer69      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-28 5:19 pm   Permalink

A couple of new cards.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-30 1:57 pm   Permalink

Trav,

I have about 20 cards from Castaways and have never seen one that shows a yellow roof on the Shinto Room. That is awesome.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-30 6:21 pm   Permalink

I agree. That is the best shot of that building I have seen so far. I want to use that for one of my future books, please!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-31 4:39 pm   Permalink

I picked this up recently. Nice dusky view of the place.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation