FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Castaways, Miami Beach, Miami Beach, FL (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
The Castaways, Miami Beach, Miami Beach, FL (restaurant)
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-31 5:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-05-31 16:39, Tiki-Kate wrote:
I picked this up recently. Nice dusky view of the place.

AND, something I had noticed when perusing Dusty's postcards a week or two ago, this shot shows the sail of the Chinese junk that is rendered on the menu, moored in almost the same position! (Tiki Modern page 256)

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-05-31 17:07 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-31 6:08 pm   Permalink

Here is another cool shot of the Castaways at dusk:

I would say it is about the same time as the photo posted above.
It gives another look at the place.

I was reminded of this place last weekend at a flea market here as a seller was selling some old photo albums. They came from an estate recently. As I walked by the seller had it opened to the middle of the album. As I looked, these large red A-frame structures caught my eye. I stopped and looked closer and recognized it as this Castaways place with all it's very distinctive features. At the top of the page the previous owner had written Miami 1971 I think. I then saw the large Castaways sign and knew it was the place.

Funny thing though was that on the other page, which I honestly did not see (Well at first anyway until it was pointed out to me ) were photos of a bachelor party where it had quite a well endowed naked lady in a large martini glass!!
So of course, that is what I was looking at and that's what everyone thought I was interested in!!
No, no...honestly...I love that A-frame roof and all the character in that building!!

Anyways....I did not buy it as the two shots of the Castaways were good but really the only thing in the book I wanted and for $30 it was too much. I told him I only wanted these two but he wouldn't sell them to me. If I see them again I will try to take a photo of them.

TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-31 6:09 pm   Permalink

my sister recently had all our family vacation slides converted to prints.....i have not seen those slides in many years.....in fact, last time i saw them i wasn't even into tiki so i certainly wasn't looking for tiki details at that time......next weekend i'm gonna take a look and hopefully find some great pics to post here from the time we stayed at the castaways back in the day.......

till then, enjoy this postcard i picked up at the flea market.....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-10 12:22 pm   Permalink

Here's a souvenir maraca/can from the Wreck Bar:

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-11 10:51 am   Permalink

Decided to dig into my archives for this place.

Here is the postcard of the Wreck Bar with the Go Go logo.
5 AM closing - that is amazing!

Here is a postcard from the bar itself. Looks like an underwater pool view behind the bar.

Onto the Shinto Room

Here is another exterior view of the great exterior at night

Some interior images showing the dining room, stage and dance area. Look like this place rocked back in the day.

Next up, the Pool Bar.

Old School Pool Bar

60's Pool Bar - Groovy Man!

The ultra mod lobby

And finally an aerial shot showing the breadth of the complex. This is the one card I have that shows the entire facility on both sides of the road in relation to the water.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-11 6:32 pm   Permalink

cool-

i was in fact able to go through some of our old slides and photos of when we visited there....i have some cool shots of me as a kid in front of the wreck bar and around the pool.....i'll add those to the archive here soon.....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-11 6:43 pm   Permalink

this ones for dusty...an actual coat hanger from the castaways......

the writing is faint in the photo but is says " private beach and air conditioning - the castaways- miami beach, florida "

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-12 09:43 am   Permalink

Tipsy,

First time I have seen a collectible coat hanger!

Here is something a little more predictable, an ashtray.

Look forward to seeing the pics of a young Tipsy frolicking around at the Castaways.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-17 4:48 pm   Permalink

Noticed something cool as I was posting that last batch of postcards.

Here is the couple from the Wreck Bar enjoying an afternoon libation.

Here they are again dressed up for the evening's dinner show at the Shinto Room. Love this scene with the Dean Martin singer.

DC

puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-18 08:22 am   Permalink

I love those Wreck Bar shots... and that pool bar postcard is the best !

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-23 7:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-11 18:43, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

this ones for dusty...an actual coat hanger from the castaways......

the writing is faint in the photo but is says " private beach and air conditioning - the castaways- miami beach, florida "

The hanger is so you have a place to hang your swim trunks when going to the private beach. I have an old Florida AAA tourbook that has an ad for the Castawys in it. The ad says "Solarium, Steam Baths, Swedish Message, Nude Sun-Bathing". No wonder they called it "America's Most FUNderful Resort-Motel".

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-23 10:10 pm   Permalink

This is my favorite Miami Castaways postcard. If I could have any fantasy from the 70s, this would be it - To rent a metal-flake Fun Buggy from Leisure Time Rentals, load it up with my buddies and some buxom girls in bikinis, and cruise down to the pool party at the Castaways.

Whenever I bring my postcard binders out to show people, this jumbo postcard inevitably gets the most attention.

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2009-07-23 22:11 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-24 07:00 am   Permalink

The postcard isn't the only thng that is jumbo.
Peace indeed. Great card!

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-24 6:03 pm   Permalink

Here are a few more images of the Castaways.

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff 2009-07-24 18:11 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff 2009-07-24 18:12 ]

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-05 01:54 am   Permalink

Sabu,

Great card, I have seen that one a few times on ebay and but was never able to win it. A crowd pleaser for sure.

Kailuageoff,

That is a very cool table card there "A Dry Martini for a Wet Bikini".
Classic stuff!

I just won these sweet little swizzles on ebay from the Tahitian Bar - nice to see the two different styles.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2009-08-05 01:57 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation