FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Badd Tiki's tikis - update 4-17-09 [pg 1]
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Badd Tiki's tikis - update 4-17-09 [pg 1]
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-12 5:25 pm   Permalink

Looking at all the great works on the forums is really inspiring. More and more I've got the urge to start carving. I did a candle awhile back, got a couple small pieces of wood and tried some small stuff. Nothing I'd really want to show off though.

But the other day at work I found a couple pieces of 4x4 posts by the trash. Something cut off a sign to change the height or something...
Anyway, I saw 'em and had been looking at the forums and figured I have to do it. So sat hit, I went over and grabbed some chisels (stanley 5 piece set $25) and a 12 lb ball ping ($13) and started creating some tiki.

I belive it's probably cedar. Good for posts, not really sappy but there are some grains that almost seem sappy.

It's a little rough but I think it'll come out alright, it's been a fun weekend. Maybe 4 hours into it? I have some stain I'm recycling from work too. I'll probably use some darker stain in the deep spots, sand it a bit and coat the whole thing with a lighter coat, not even sure what stains I have lol. Probably 4 hours left carving at least.

[ This Message was edited by: Badd Tiki 2009-04-12 17:29 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Badd Tiki 2009-04-17 17:36 ]

View Profile of Badd Tiki Send a personal message to Badd Tiki  Goto the website of Badd Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drasticwagon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-12 8:21 pm   Permalink

Them posts are very hard to carve , brittle you can say. Good luck and keep posting.

View Profile of drasticwagon Send a personal message to drasticwagon  Goto the website of drasticwagon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-13 07:50 am   Permalink

Deffinately brittle. I accidentally took out a few chunks I didn't mean too. Carved away most of them but on is on the 'headress' part and is probably there for good.

Oh well, learning to be more careful now.

View Profile of Badd Tiki Send a personal message to Badd Tiki  Goto the website of Badd Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-13 10:10 am   Permalink

Go on to ebay and get yourself some basswood turning blocks for less then twenty bucks. You should be able to get some depth to your cuts without the frustrating splitting. Basswood is a soft wood with nice tight grain. You can get basswood from hobby stores as well. Another reason why wood splits is dull tools and carving against the grain. Good luck and happy carving.

Facebook

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drasticwagon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-13 4:41 pm   Permalink

Maybe you have a local Woodcraft store near by you if you are lucky for Baswood.

[ This Message was edited by: drasticwagon 2009-04-13 16:42 ]

View Profile of drasticwagon Send a personal message to drasticwagon  Goto the website of drasticwagon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-14 08:20 am   Permalink

Haven't looked for any wood yet but did look for some round and v shaped gouges. No luck, gotta order online, the closest place I found is a few hundred miles.

Carved a bit more last night, then took some 400 grit to it to try and smooth up the edges (areas where I'm chipping stright down for depth).
It actually smoothed up pretty nicely, and quickly.

Then I realized I'm gonna probably have to dig in more where the teeth, eyes and head are so my nose sticks out.
-----------
I'm actually alright with this wood, I'll probably try a piece of redwood next. The 4x4's are pretty good size for me (no workshop), big enough to use chisels on.

I haven't had any major probs with the wood. Just getting used to chiselling (haven't done any for years and years) and what the wood will accept. I started a little quick and sloppily. Next one I'll be more careful with, but I think with the relief I want to add I have a bit of room to redo/clean up most of the mistakes I've made. If not, they just give it character right?

Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-15 1:50 pm   Permalink

Found some basswood pieces. $10 for a random pack = to 1/2 board feet.
4 pieces about 2x2x4. They had large pieces about 10" tall and wider but they were $30. Gonna look online.

Did this guy with an x-acto #11. Getting tough to get much deeper.

He's not done though, might put another face on the back corner, maybe make him a candle base.

Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-17 5:41 pm   Permalink

I'm enjoying this. Got some good ideas but still practicing.

Worked on my small head a bit more. He was carved on a 2x3 ish piece of basswood, wasn't sure where to go so I figured I'd just practice and use the other side for another face. I did the first face pretty square but due to the shape of the piece the second guy was gonna be offset or assym.
I decided to fill the space and incorporate the assym into his face some.

But after filling my memory card with pics I STILL couldn't get a good shot of him. Oh well, he's not done yet either.
Got some pretty good relief I think. But everytime I try to go just a little deeper I put a nick into him somewhere else.

I guess neither one is really 'tiki'. Maybe a little too human on the first one, I tried to make the second a little less human.

without further ado...

laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-18 01:16 am   Permalink

This Janus tiki is very cool! Like the hairdress... Well done!

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-18 5:26 pm   Permalink

Looks tiki to me nicely done.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-18 6:25 pm   Permalink

Thanks.

I had to look up what a Janus was

Did some more work, this face is done, don't wanna screw it up, already had a major incident with the chin.
I figured out how to get in pretty deep in a few spots. So much easier when you go with the grain

[ This Message was edited by: Badd Tiki 2009-04-18 18:27 ]

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-19 08:18 am   Permalink

Looking Much better with the deeper detail, big difference. Keep this up and you will be a Master before you know it!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-25 1:06 pm   Permalink

Did some more work on this guy. Carved out the first face ALOT more, too much in the eyes, then not paying attention I cut the eye slits the wrong way
Completely changed his personality. Maybe I was trying to give him the wrong one, or maybe he became unhappy after I carved the back of his head? Did some headress work on both of them.

My main work area (I think small tikis are gonna be best ) and my tools. couple xacto handles and blades, #5 xacto with saw attachment.

FreddieBallsomic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-30 09:35 am   Permalink

Great chops!

View Profile of FreddieBallsomic Send a personal message to FreddieBallsomic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-30 12:20 pm   Permalink

Great carves. Looks like your getting used to the knives. Get rid of that cheap, large, black Xacto handle and upgrade to a wooden handle. It is stronger and will last MUCH longer. The Xacto handle are made in aluminum for light duty. The wood handle feature brass mechanisms and hold the blades much better. Here's a link:
http://www.treelineusa.com/traditional-carving/warren-handles-and-blades

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation