FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Badd Tiki's tikis - update 4-17-09 [pg 1]
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Badd Tiki's tikis - update 4-17-09 [pg 1]
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-30 1:57 pm   Permalink

Thanks guys.

and thanks for the link Aloha, I just grabbed that plastic one since it was only like $6 to see if I like it. It's (the blade at least) is good for hooking into the edges of the eyes. But The handle is just too big for that size of work I think.

The other handles... not really happy with them.
The cheap aluminum one has a twist lock right at the blade. That SUCKS! If I carve anything in a curve clockwise it loosens (since the blade it tied into the lock mechanism).
The 'gripper' blue handle is better, the lock is at the end of the handle and more independent from blade forces, but you have to clamp tight. Which leads to the plastic handles cracking...and not tightening at all.

I have actually been thinking of starting a thread regarding tools, good and bad.
---------------
On that not I'm looking for something better. I generally like the simple blade/handle interchange thing but there's gotta be something better.

I've been considering ordering some 'palm carving tools'. would be nice to have some good u and v shaped (whatever they are called) chisels.
There are also straight handled ones. I'm really not sure which I'd like better so I might get a small set of each then just add some depending on that.

[ This Message was edited by: Badd Tiki 2009-04-30 13:58 ]

View Profile of Badd Tiki Send a personal message to Badd Tiki  Goto the website of Badd Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-01 8:08 pm   Permalink

Wow is right you are getting some great looking features here.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-13 2:55 pm   Permalink

Haven't done much for awhile. I did get my video game map 'tiki island' playable in a new indie game Zero Gear.

But I've been getting bored with digital work, don't have anywhere good to carve wood, my last keyboard got filled with wood chips and it's hard to clean the carpet...

But I got an urge to start doing some paper mache and masks. I want to get around to doing some Tiki masks specifically, but I had to start with my favorite bug, the Preying Mantis. Not really Tiki but I gotta show it off. Still needs some yellow glazes and some darks but it's close. Couldn't get a goo pic wearing it, but it's snug and comfortable, will make some arms before halloween. Funny I got the urge during Mardi Gras but didn't even knpow Mardi Gras was happening.

But on a more Tiki note, I started my Tiki Art Swap - Shrunken Heads last night and feel inspired to do some painting. Done water color in the past but never a serious acrylic painting (oils are too messy for now). But I didn't just want to paint, I wanted to incorporate a little more 3d action into it.
So I picked up a canvas today, some brushes and some more paints and started on the 3d part. Hard to get a good shot of moist newspaper...
It'll be 4 tiki warriors, dancing around a fire. A shot from front and side...

I get really inspired everytime I check out every one's artwork here and I really think Tiki Central has got me back on track to digging my hands in, getting dirty and working on some fine arts, so Mahalo!

View Profile of Badd Tiki Send a personal message to Badd Tiki  Goto the website of Badd Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation