FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Kon Tiki Hotel, Phoenix, AZ (hotel)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Kon Tiki Hotel, Phoenix, AZ (hotel)
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-04 12:09 pm   Permalink

Another Xlnt post guys.What ever happened to this place, and what is there now ?
Does anyone know?

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-04 12:20 pm   Permalink

They bulldozed the Kon Tiki in 1993 I believe and put this exotic parking area in it's place.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-07 10:54 am   Permalink

I picked up a different postcard from the Kon Tiki. They put a big Best Western pole sign out front, how romantic is that.

A better shot of the cool sign

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-07 7:01 pm   Permalink

so cool,
if that place was still open.
I'd want to stay there after the "Relight the Night" event at the Kon Tiki Restaurant in Tuscon, Even though it was in Phoenix, the 1 hour drive would be worth it.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-26 06:54 am   Permalink

Nice photo from the Arizona State Archives.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-10-20 4:14 pm   Permalink

Another photo I snagged off eBay long ago:

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-23 8:18 pm   Permalink

What a cool sign, wonder if anyone ran off with at least part of it.

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-11-05 5:06 pm   Permalink

Here's another place in Idaho Falls, ID that appeared to use the same-style pole & mask sign.

This ad for the Hawaiian Room is from 1963:

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-12 5:17 pm   Permalink

A buddy of mine just found me this menu. 15 cents for a cup of coffee so I am guessing 1960's ?

[ This Message was edited by: tikicar 2010-12-12 17:19 ]

View Profile of tikicar Send a personal message to tikicar      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-13 12:20 pm   Permalink

Whooah! Never seen that menu before. Great A-Frame graphics. Interesting that they show the Tiki by the buidling, but left out the sign. Was it ...too "tacky"?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-13 2:36 pm   Permalink

Yeah I kind of thought the same thing. Nice to know there are still things out there that you haven't seen Sven. My buddy bought a box of old menues at a auction. This was the only Tiki one. Soon as he handed it to me. I thought I know I have seen that building in your book. As always if you needed to borrow it for research you are more than welcome to it. Scott

View Profile of tikicar Send a personal message to tikicar      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-15 4:22 pm   Permalink

Thank you Scott. I would love to use that cover for one of my next projects. It's probably too big to scan? or will one of each half-page fit? P.m. me and we figure out how you can get the image to me.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-24 7:22 pm   Permalink

A few black and white photos of the sign and building found on the net.

Close up of the sign and the Tiki.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2011-07-24 21:58 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-06 12:17 pm   Permalink

I picked up a slightly different (and beat up) version of the Kon Tiki hotel postcard.

And I couldn't help but notice the Milan Guanko Tiki statue standing under the sign.

Does anybody know if this one survived?

Also found some more old photos of the hotel architecture.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-06 1:24 pm   Permalink

Another postcard I found that with a rare look at the Tiki torches and hut by the pool at the Kon Tiki.

You can see some carved Tiki poles holding up the roof.

And a menu I saw on ebay with a nice rendering of the sign.

Finally a nice artist interpretation of the sign bu Suzanne Falk.

DC

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation