FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Kon Tiki Hotel, Phoenix, AZ (hotel)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Kon Tiki Hotel, Phoenix, AZ (hotel)
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-06 4:22 pm   Permalink

Great menu cover, much like the letterhead I used in Tiki Modern. Allow me to make note of my favorite tie-in to Del Webb's Ocean House in "The Big Mouth" again, comparing the mask on the right makes it clearer than ever:

Still no info has surfaced why a San Diego and a Phoenix hotel used the same mod masks, and also, with all the additional photos unearthed, there is still no good image of these masks lined up at the Kon Tiki exterior, darn it.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-06 7:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-03-06 16:22, bigbrotiki wrote:
Great menu cover, much like the letterhead I used in Tiki Modern.

That reminds me, I have this letter that was sent out by the Kon Tiki general manager to drum up some business.

That is a great letterhead, worthy of Tiki Modern!

Quote:

On 2012-03-06 16:22, bigbrotiki wrote:

Still no info has surfaced why a San Diego and a Phoenix hotel used the same mod masks, and also, with all the additional photos unearthed, there is still no good image of these masks lined up at the Kon Tiki exterior, darn it.

Bigbro,

Great movie poster! Never seen that one before, must be headed for the museum.

Don't forget the bar in Wichita!

We'll find that photo one of these days.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-24 08:21 am   Permalink

Scored a postcard with an aerial photo of the Kon Tiki compound.

The A-Frame.

The lush pool area.

I also picked up an old RC spark plug ad that used a similar Big Mouth mask.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-26 6:46 pm   Permalink

Hokeh, post 10 001 goes out to DustyCajun, for being a stalwart scanner of the internet, and a dedicated scanner and poster of postcards and other rare paper ephemera - thanks pal, much appreciated! I have gained much knowledge from your posts, even if sometimes I have a different interpretation, like:

Never seen that cool spark plug ad before, but I have had this large decal for years:

Obviously the same artist than in the ad. When I saw your ad, I kinda believed in the kinship with the Kon Tiki masks, but now looking at this duo again, I think they are more old school style. Like the artist who drew them up was an older guy, and the Kon Tiki ones were done by a younger draftsman.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-26 7:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-07-26 18:46, bigbrotiki wrote:

Never seen that cool spark plug ad before...

Huh?, sure you have Bigbro...

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=40103&forum=1&vpost=590240

Thanks to Sabu !!

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-26 8:50 pm   Permalink

Hah! Thanks for the memory boost - and it's not even so long ago I did! The COLOR threw me off on DC's post...I dimly remembered that I had pulled out that decal for something somewhere..but that vivid purple and yellow made it all new to me. I might also have a slight case of Tiki overload. I "dump" much of my data here on TC, and I guess some get mistakenly deleted that way.

So, what do you think folks, Yay or Nay on those masks being from the same artist?

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-11 6:02 pm   Permalink

Did someone say Kon Tiki Hotel? Just got a nice postcard showing the lush (Marty?), tropical pool area and the great detailed balconies of the rooms that over-looked the pool.

Close up of the building and that Tiki mask on the bottom floor. That looks like one of the Big Mouht masks that adorned the front of the hotel.

And let me introduce Mr. Pool Tiki.

One of my favorite places.

DC

Inertia

Posted: 2013-06-17 10:46 am   Permalink

We are currently remodeling our Haver (same architect as KonTiki) in Phoenix, and would like to do the pool/yard area in a Tiki style. Specifically we'd like to pay homage to the Phoenix Kon-Tiki in our design. We are looking for memorabilia and possibly any high-quality LARGE scans of postcards, menus, adverts, etc....that we can print in medium and large sizes for accent pieces. If anyone has any they would like to scan for us to use, let me know.

Thanks for this thread on a true Phoenix icon. The Kon Tiki.

On a side note, before it's demolition in 97, and before I was a mid-century mod fan, I attended a few crazy late night parties in the Bar/Lounge here. Sadly I was not forward thinking enough to grab some of the things that I am now seeking.

-Inertia

View Profile of Inertia Send a personal message to Inertia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DHTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-19 11:00 am   Permalink

Can't help you with KT stuff, but I'd love to see pics of your place. What area of town are you in?

View Profile of DHTiki Send a personal message to DHTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-11 09:07 am   Permalink

Early 1990s version of the Kon Tiki motel sign.

DC

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation