FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Pago Pago - all locations under one roof
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Pago Pago - all locations under one roof
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-17 4:39 pm   Permalink

I have always been fascinated by the name of PAGO PAGO (pronounced Pungo Pungo) for Pre-Tiki Polynesian bars and supper clubs in the 1940s. Pago Pago is the main port in American Samoa, and was featured early on in literature:

"...in 1916, W. Somerset Maugham departs on a voyage to Pago Pago. Characters he meets on the voyage, including a prostitute and a missionary, inspire the story "Miss Thompson," which is published in his 1923 story collection, The Trebling of a Leaf. The story becomes the play "Rain", which is filmed three times, once starring Gloria Swanson, once with Joan Crawford, and once with Rita Hayworth.
(In 1919, Maugham published The Moon and Sixpence, featuring an unconventional artist based on Paul Gauguin.)"

The above story obviously was the inspiration for this 1940 film:

In it, a prostitute (played by Frances Farmer) falls for native Hunk Jon Hall.
Here's another publicity still of beautiful and tragic Frances Farmer:

And here she is in bad company:

"IT'S PRIMITIVE! IT'S EXCITING! IT'S SOUTH OF PAGO PAGO!" I believe it was the film that lifted the name to a pop culture status so that several different (how many?) South Seas hideaways around the U.S. chose it for their calling card. This thread shall serve for the collecting of all Pago Pago material from all locations. I will start with the Pago Pago in Tuscon, here the famous match book:

...and my match-up of the match book rendering to a frame capture of the 1956 film "A Kiss Before Dying":

Now here is the place to post swizzle sticks, more matchbooks, postcards and other paper ephemera from all the various Pago Pagos in Chicago, Tuscon, Portland, Long Beach and so on.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-17 4:47 pm   Permalink

Come on in pull up a stool and order up a cocktail. All under one roof. I like that.

Chicago Location. But which one?

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2009-04-17 16:48 ]

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2009-04-17 16:50 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-17 4:55 pm   Permalink

Nice idea Bigbro.

I have this old postcard from the Portland Pago Pago.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-17 5:54 pm   Permalink

Pago Pago, Honolulu:

Pago Pago, Portland:

Pago Pago, Tucson:

Pago Pago, Long Beach:

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-17 6:07 pm   Permalink

Wow!!!

Great post on the Pago Pago, Puamana.

Nice to see you back.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-17 6:18 pm   Permalink

Hooray! Puamana! Yes! Please! Thank you!

Pago-Pago Restaurant, Milford, Mass.

-
Entry in Critiki
- Thread here on TC

Still operating! Cute little barely-tiki Chinese joint.

Here's a real humdinger:

Pago-Pago Lounge, Burbank, Calif.

- Tiki Research Adventure: Disney Studios & Pago Pago on Humu Kon Tiki
- Entry in Critiki
- Thread here on TC

We had a great time researching this place a few years ago! There's a summary at my blog link above. Here's a bit of info left in a comment on my blog:

Quote:
Sheila Corrigan says:
August 30th, 2007 at 1:47 am

Hi I grew up not far from Disney Studios (age 63). I am writing a sort of Autobiography and one of my earliest memories is being taken to the PagoPago by my Mom and her sister when her sister got off the night nursing shift.
I was thrilled to find your site to know approx. when the PagoPago disappeared (Disney expansion). I absolutely loved it. It was dark and in my three year old mind totally exotic with comfortable leather booths. It was open all day, I know that.
I went again when I was 28 (that was in 1972). It seemed the same. It was even for a bar kept pretty dark. I can’t say for sure how polynesian- not overly so anyway, but then it was also very small- 3-4 booths at the most and a big red juke box.

Sheila COrrigan

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-17 6:19 pm   Permalink

Mimi! I heart you!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-17 7:16 pm   Permalink

Humu, I forgot how far you had gotten on the Burbank Pago Pago research! Very cool...
I just met David Spafford the animator who has the sign, at Kevin and Jody's. He gave me a present he handmakes for his guests:

I am not sure if he knows your thread. Now I really gotta get a pic of that sign for this thread (AND for yours)!

Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-17 7:43 pm   Permalink

This is a later menu from the Tucson, Arizona location.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-17 8:01 pm   Permalink

There are three of these neck-to-neck bottle floats at Forbidden Island, my understanding is that Bamboo Ben brought them in, and they came from Eli Hedley's decor shop, and were made for the Pago-Pago in Tucson. Dunno exactly what that means... Were made for the Pago-Pago, but never used? Were made for the Pago-Pago, and later came back to Hedley? Are identical to ones made for the Pago-Pago, but not the actual ones?

But anyway, there's supposedly some kinda Pago-Pago connection there, so there you go.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-17 8:38 pm   Permalink

Matchbook from Pago Pago, Long Beach.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-17 8:53 pm   Permalink

These jade tiles freakin rock!

I wonder if they were just a drawing or real?

Just used 6 of the square ones for DtB.

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-17 9:50 pm   Permalink

BB,

Check these ones from the Parasol.

DC

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-17 10:06 pm   Permalink

Drooool!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheeky half
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-17 10:29 pm   Permalink

Pago Pago Tucson.
Dancing Hula Girl Flicker Key Chain and Ashtray:

View Profile of cheeky half Send a personal message to cheeky half  Goto the website of cheeky half     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation