FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Pago Pago - all locations under one roof
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Pago Pago - all locations under one roof
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-04 07:12 am   Permalink

Bummer

I always liked seeing that sign while traveling on the El.

Thanks for the update James!

[ This Message was edited by: Jeff Central 2010-11-04 07:13 ]

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Holepuncher

Posted: 2011-01-07 11:24 am   Permalink

I'm sure some of you old-timers might remember this from Eddie Brandhorst's Pago Pago in Long Beach. I've had it for over 30 years. It is in as-found condition, and for those not familiar with it, it is a very old ship's rudder.

View Profile of Holepuncher Send a personal message to Holepuncher      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-07 9:18 pm   Permalink

Holepuncher - that piece is AWESOME! I'm old enough and live close enough, but sadly I didn't find out about the Long Beach Pago Pago until it was gone. Was there a painted mural inside?

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Holepuncher

Posted: 2011-01-12 11:43 pm   Permalink

Hey Sabu, I can't tell you anything about the Pago Pago restaurant because it was long closed by the time I discovered this old rudder in the late 70's. I've looked at satellite images of the area and while the big parking lot on the west side is still there, the original building has been razed and a new one went up in it's place.

View Profile of Holepuncher Send a personal message to Holepuncher      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-03 11:55 am   Permalink

Sabu posted this postcard from the "Pago" restaurant located next to the entrance of the International Settlement in San Francisco.

I was doing some research and came across this photo that shows the restaurant changed named to the "Pago Pago", so it does belong in this post.

I also found a photo that shows the metal support columns for the International Settlement sign are still there at there. Not as cool as the Tiki Bob post but still a cool piece of history.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-03 1:16 pm   Permalink

Great catch! Funny, the columns look so "modern".

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-19 08:49 am   Permalink

Here is an old matchbook with a photo of the exterior of the Pago Pago in Hawaii from ebay.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-17 07:27 am   Permalink

I had posted this menu from the Pago Pago in Marysville some time ago.

Tradr Bill posted the same design from the Leilani Lounge that was located in Oakland.

I started looking for more info on the Pago Pago in Marysville and found this great photo, what an amazing mural.

Also some info on the bartender and the cooks.

Now this is interesting, the native drummer on the back of the menu

looks to be the inspiration for the Zombie Hut logo from Sacramento.

A double dose of TTT!

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-17 08:27 am   Permalink

Aaaah, one of my favorite threads, full of vintage visuals, always great to see it revived with even more. A great mural indeed!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-29 8:30 pm   Permalink

Here are a couple of international entries for the Pago Pago club.

A card from the Bar Pago Pago located in Girona Spain I got in a trade with my friend Zeta, Ambassador of Tiki in Mexico.

Postcard from the Hotel Intercontinental Pago Pago.

A few close ups

Great looking outdoor bar scene.

And a matchbook from a location in San Rafael, an oldie for sure.

Got this in a trade with PTD who also has these versions.

DC

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-04 2:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-05-08 21:38, MadDogMike wrote:
Is this the kind of Pago Pago you were looking for? Rev BooBen has the matching "man-skirt" but I don't know if it was made in Pago Pago Samoa or not

So I had a PagoPago Samoan shirt and Ben had the matching "manskirt". Like twins seperated at birth, I figured those 2 should be reunited - and since I thought of it first, I sent mine to Ben for his birthday. Now he is stuck with both!

Here is Ben high above* Hanalei Kauai looking damned handsome in his ensemble.

*by "high above" I mean that he is 1200 feet up the mountain from Hanalei, not that he was sampling the local pakalolo (as far as you know)

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-04 4:02 pm   Permalink

Wow, did he get the matching mug you made, too?

Quote:

On 2011-06-29 20:30, Dustycajun wrote:

Also known as the Rainmaker Hotel, this place has always fascinated me. It was built during the peak period of South Seas tourism, in 1964, by Pete Wimberly's architectural firm, and outfitted by Oceanic Arts. It was designed not like the peaked A-frames Wimberly did for the Waikikian and Canlis in Honululu, but in the style of the traditional Samoan "fale" house:

There is a great, detailed Wikipedia page on the architecture of the fale, down to the mythology of its unique rounded shape:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architecture_of_Samoa

Since its heyday the Hotel has become delapidated....

http://www.american.samoa-hotels.com/rainmaker-hotel/Index.html

"Rainmaker Hotel is one of the most unusual hotels in the South Pacific. Built in the 1960's alongside a picturesque beach on the outskirts of Pago Pago, this hotel is now owned by the government. However, this figurehead of tourism is in a complete state of delapidation with unrepaired doors hanging off their hinges, broken roof slates lying around and a pool green with algae. Many of the rooms are dysfunctional with broken doors and stripped of furnishings and paint but there are still pleasant enough rooms and bungalows overlooking the beach. The hotel is frequented by Government Officials on often dubious business. If you are one for novel experiences, then stay here for a few nights - you'll likely meet some interesting characters and will no doubt have a few stories to tell back home."

I always thought it would be kind of like renting a room in the ruins of the Coco Palms. Part of the property has been fixed up since and is operated as Sadie's by the Sea:

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2011-07-04 23:15 ]

Aquatic Safarinaut
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-07-04 7:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-07-04 16:02, bigbrotiki wrote:
Wow, did he get the matching mug you made, too?

Quote:

On 2011-06-29 20:30, Dustycajun wrote:

Also known as the Rainmaker Hotel, this place has always fascinated me. It was built during the peak period of South Seas tourism, in 1964, by Pete Wimberly's architectural firm, and outfitted by Oceanic Arts. It was designed not like the peaked A-frames Wimberly did for the Waikiian and Canlis in Honululu, but in the style of the traditional Samoan "fale" house:

There is a great, detailed Wikipedia page on the architecture of the fale, down to the mythology of its unique rounded shape:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architecture_of_Samoa

Since its heyday the Hotel has become delapidated....

http://www.american.samoa-hotels.com/rainmaker-hotel/Index.html

"Rainmaker Hotel is one of the most unusual hotels in the South Pacific. Built in the 1960's alongside a picturesque beach on the outskirts of Pago Pago, this hotel is now owned by the government. However, this figurehead of tourism is in a complete state of Wikipedia with delapidated doors hanging off their hinges, broken roof slates lying around and a pool green with algae. Many of the rooms are dysfunctional with broken doors and stripped of furnishings and paint but there are still pleasant enough rooms and bungalows overlooking the beach. The hotel is frequented by Government Officials on often dubious business. If you are one for novel experiences, then stay here for a few nights - you'll likely meet some interesting characters and will no doubt have a few stories to tell back home."

I always thought it would be kind of like renting a room in the ruins of the Coco Palms. Part of the property has been fixed up since and is operated as Sadie's by the Sea:

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2011-07-04 16:08 ]

I just had dinner at Sadie's By the Sea in May...

Rainmaker Mountain from balcony at Sadie's

Rainmaker Mt. again with the restaurant's fale in foreground

Entrance to Pago Pago Harbor from Sadie's

Moon rise over Pago Pago Harbor from Sadie's

More Moon...

[ This Message was edited by: Aquatic Safarinaut 2011-07-04 19:46 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Aquatic Safarinaut 2011-07-04 19:47 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Aquatic Safarinaut 2011-07-04 19:49 ]

View Profile of Aquatic Safarinaut Send a personal message to Aquatic Safarinaut      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-04 8:21 pm   Permalink

"...in a complete state of Wikipedia ..." I don't get that one.

No Sven, Ben didn't get the mug - it was too ugly to release in public

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-04 11:19 pm   Permalink

Mike, that mug-matching-the-shirt was genius, ugly or not! And I fixed that typo, I had used spell check and it switched all the words in the text around, it was nuts!

So, Safarinaut, how was Sadie's, and how much of the Hotel compound is still in ruins? Did you do any resort archeology?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation