FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts nukke's clay play - new mug in the work
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
nukke's clay play - new mug in the work
nuKKe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-18 09:29 am   Permalink

If you're in Israel and want tiki mugs for your home-mixed cocktails, glass cabins or whatever, here's what you do:
a. Spend a fortune on an airfare ticket, then go to Tikifarm's yard-sale/ Pay extra in the Kowloon for their Hurricane glass/ forget about the electricity bill that needs to be paid upon your return home and convince yourself that if things get really bad, that Bosko mug can be solf for profit on ebay.

b. mail-order. Pay for shipping twice as much as you pay for the actual mugs while making calculations in the lines of "it's a birthday gift for myself in lieu of the New Year giftcard from work that can be used for daily grocery shopping".

c. take ceramics classes. Pay each month the sum of a bi-weekly order from Tiki Farm. Waste time on failed attempts in all stages of the process. Come home with things you dare refer to s "tiki" until you return home and see the creations of fellow Centralites in the Other Crafts forum. But you love the teacher, like some of your classmates, enjoy some quiet time after work and eventually learn to like what you do.

So--- here's a sample of my work.

This mini shot glass is one of my first attempts on the Wheel. I carved/ added parts based on/ inspired by an OA carving pictred in The Book of Tiki page 143. White clay, glazed with Tamaku, given to Bigtikidude.

My first series, named Pisa Luau cos it's as straight as the Tower of Pisa, based on a wooden statue pictured in The Book of Tiki, page 186. I made a plaster mold for it and stamped slabs, hence the varied sizes. Made 6 of these - one was given to my brother, one to my brother-in-law, the third got lost in the mail (I suspect it never left that dingy p.o in University Ave, San Diego :/). White clay. Made another mug with this stamp using yellow clay, that's been through bisque firing, and planning to make a few more, planning a grape-purple glaze for them.

this bowl looks so much better in real-life, I swear. 4 differet types of clay, standing on 3 Tahitian-style tikis, each holding a skull. Height: 11.5 cm (4.5"), diameter: 17 cm (6.7").

and a closeup on one of the feet:

that's it for now. More to come whe glazing/firing's done.

Keren

[ This Message was edited by: nukke 2009-05-29 09:30 ]

[ This Message was edited by: nuKKe 2009-06-30 12:49 ]

[ This Message was edited by: nuKKe 2009-06-30 22:48 ]

[ This Message was edited by: nuKKe 2010-04-10 12:31 ]

View Profile of nuKKe Send a personal message to nuKKe  Email nuKKe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-04-18 09:39 am   Permalink

Good job. GROG especially like the bowl with the multi-colored clay and the Tahitian style tikis holding skulls. Those ceramics classes are paying off.

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2009-04-18 09:39 ]

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
annamarikitiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-04-18 11:33 am   Permalink

those r nice lookin mugs-sweet glaze job!

Justin Kingsley Noyes
-Teak it up-

View Profile of annamarikitiki Send a personal message to annamarikitiki  Goto the website of annamarikitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nuKKe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-15 3:18 pm   Permalink

thank you, GROG and annamarikitiki.

Here's a cell-phone shot of the first batch of my Moai series, nicknamed The Levayevs, after one of Israel's financial tycoons, whose facial features are as wide as this bunch's.
They went in the kiln of Thursday and are supposed to come out sandish-brown if I recall correctly, the liquid, pre-kiln colour and texture of the glaze is lava-like. It was so awsome I had to take a souvenir shot and almost didn't want to burn them.

View Profile of nuKKe Send a personal message to nuKKe  Email nuKKe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dcman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-15 4:15 pm   Permalink

Very solid work - much better than airfare and then not having enough for your bills. I also like the multi-colored clay, very interesting.

dcman

View Profile of dcman Send a personal message to dcman  Goto the website of dcman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-05-15 4:29 pm   Permalink

NuKKE, the bowl is way cool! Keep doing what makes you happy, keep improving your skills, keep looking for new inspiration - HAVE FUN!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
annamarikitiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-05-16 08:55 am   Permalink

Im diggin the moai styley!

-noyes

View Profile of annamarikitiki Send a personal message to annamarikitiki  Goto the website of annamarikitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nuKKe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-29 09:40 am   Permalink

the Moais are home and they're soooooo cool! Here are a few glamour shots

the glaze is stone-like, pinkish with hints of green. Here's a view from the top; you can see that these babies call for straws

here's a whole bunch of them

and for scale, with a Moai swizzle stick from Archie McPhee

4 more classes are left til the teacher's maternity leave. I plan to make a couple of other Moais (and finish my plaque for the PNG art swap by then, finish some non-tiki smaller projects and maybe sculpt a one of a kind mug, if time permits.
thanks for looking!

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-05-29 10:38 am   Permalink

That stone glaze turned out great, well done (beautiful eyes too )

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-05-29 10:44 am   Permalink

Good stuff!

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nuKKe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-30 01:40 am   Permalink

thank you

tyger jymmy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-30 08:58 am   Permalink

those Mugs are very kool .

View Profile of tyger jymmy Send a personal message to tyger jymmy  Email tyger jymmy Goto the website of tyger jymmy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
squid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-30 6:45 pm   Permalink

Love the Moai!

View Profile of squid Send a personal message to squid  Goto the website of squid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-31 01:33 am   Permalink

Nukke, I love those mugs. Great expressions and I love seeing them all together.

View Profile of mp Send a personal message to mp  Email mp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-02 10:39 pm   Permalink

Hey nuKKe- You kicked butt on that bowl! I love your colors, and the moai are full of character- Cool stuff!

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation